Report: FBI investigating Phil Mickelson

Someone jumped the gun on this and this could get embarrassing for someone.

This day and age of digital media it's report first and check facts later. Journalism has changed and now it's a race to say you were the first to report it.

I still wonder what the FBI was looking to accomplish by showing up at the course.

Called it when the news came out. Someone saw his name somewhere and had to change their underwear after. Premature.

I definitely blame the FBI if he comes out clean. They didn't just show up at a golf tournament for no reason. They were there to send a message or embarass him.

yep..that was my exact thought as well when this started at The Memorial

The NY Times is a very poor choice for any news related information anyway. They have the biggest "agenda" out of all of them. I hope Phil takes them down.

The Onion layers continue to be peeled back. Wonder if this gives him a boost in the Open this week?

JM

Why would anybody get in trouble for reporting that Phil was under investigation? It's true that he was being investigated. All they announced is that he has been cleared of the one transaction. He's still being investigated for another transaction.

This story is not going away.

More information here: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ph...rading-by-the-sec-2016-05-19?siteid=bulletrss

Mickelson was charged with insider trading by the Securities and Exchange Commission due to an alleged tip he received from gambler William “Billy” Walters, who got information from a former Dean Foods DF, +0.45% chairman, Thomas Davis.

The SEC said that Walters called and then sent text messages to Mickelson, who ultimately bought a $2.4 million position in three accounts he controlled. Those securities “dwarfed” Mickelson’s other holdings, which were collectively valued at less than $250,000, the SEC said. Mickelson had not been a frequent trader, and these were his first Dean Foods purchases, the SEC said. Mickelson made a profit of approximately $931,000 from the stock, which he held for about a week.

This story is not going away.

More information here: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ph...rading-by-the-sec-2016-05-19?siteid=bulletrss

Not good for Phil; insider trading charges usually stick.

From quick research it looks like a relief defendant means they aren't accusing him of wrongdoing, but he has no right to the money. So would he only be at risk of losing the profit he made? No fine or jail time?

From quick research it looks like a relief defendant means they aren't accusing him of wrongdoing, but he has no right to the money. So would he only be at risk of losing the profit he made? No fine or jail time?
I'm guessing Phil wouldn't sweat the $931k and rather this just went away!

I am not 100% sure but that seems right

I'm guessing Phil wouldn't sweat the $931k and rather this just went away!

Haha, if he was glad to give up the 931K I bet this never would have hit the news. I bet he is none too quick to hand over 1 Mil in cash.

Phil with the dirty dealings... A true gambler I guess.

These stories make me wonder when enough money is enough for some people.... although he's hardly the worst example of that.

Haha, if he was glad to give up the 931K I bet this never would have hit the news. I bet he is none too quick to hand over 1 Mil in cash.
Well, that's true. But hindsight I'm sure he wishes he wouldn't have chased the $ and just stayed away from it. This likely won't have a huge impact on him, but it could potentially have cost him some sponsorship cash, which would be a lot more than $931k in some cases.

Watching golf scribes write about topics they know nothing about is hysterical.

Phil with the dirty dealings... A true gambler I guess.

These stories make me wonder when enough money is enough for some people.... although he's hardly the worst example of that.

in my business, i see it all the time. some of the richest people i work with are also the cheapest. it's not about having the toys, it's just about watching the number on your monthly statement get bigger and bigger.

but i also work with people who have so much they just don't care. i was discussing a client of mine with another of their advisors yesterday, and i was laying out some options to save them about $15 million in tax. it's nothing risky, it's very common, and not very complicated. he said the feedback he was getting from them was that they just have too much else going on their lives, and they're fine to just pay it. ok...

Making $931K in profit from a stock trade in a week is an amazing deal. Where do I sign up?

Making $931K in profit from a stock trade in a week is an amazing deal. Where do I sign up?

Become a degenerate gambler and make friends with shady people

Well, until he says he's guilty, I'm going to presume him innocent. My personal speculation (note, it is purely speculation by me) is that it is far more 'gray' than the SEC makes it out to be, and Phil has been a target for the past few years now (which I'm sure was by coincidence to be when he complained about his tax rate in California).

I'll wait and see, but these stories have popped up the past few years, and nothing ever happens, so then they find something else to try and get him on. It's like when they showed up on the golf course (which was just beyond a low class move designed to get media attention and nothing else). Whatever happened with that? As I recall, absolutely nothing.

Again, I'll wait and see.

~Rock

in my business, i see it all the time. some of the richest people i work with are also the cheapest. it's not about having the toys, it's just about watching the number on your monthly statement get bigger and bigger.

but i also work with people who have so much they just don't care. i was discussing a client of mine with another of their advisors yesterday, and i was laying out some options to save them about $15 million in tax. it's nothing risky, it's very common, and not very complicated. he said the feedback he was getting from them was that they just have too much else going on their lives, and they're fine to just pay it. ok...

I hear you.. It's something I've really never grasped although the idea of financial freedom does sound pretty incredible.

Just seems like there has to be a threshold there. For most, it's higher than I can imagine.

Well, until he says he's guilty, I'm going to presume him innocent. My personal speculation (note, it is purely speculation by me) is that it is far more 'gray' than the SEC makes it out to be, and Phil has been a target for the past few years now (which I'm sure was by coincidence to be when he complained about his tax rate in California).

I'll wait and see, but these stories have popped up the past few years, and nothing ever happens, so then they find something else to try and get him on. It's like when they showed up on the golf course (which was just beyond a low class move designed to get media attention and nothing else). Whatever happened with that? As I recall, absolutely nothing.

Again, I'll wait and see.

~Rock

It sounds to me like they are going after his buddy, and he is just getting caught up in it. Sounds like they are saying he did no wrong, but received advice that was illegal and illegally profited from it. I doubt the Federal government would go after him for saying California's taxes are too high. But I am not at all knowledgeable on the topic

I hear you.. It's something I've really never grasped although the idea of financial freedom does sound pretty incredible.

Just seems like there has to be a threshold there. For most, it's higher than I can imagine.

I think it usually comes down to the type of person who is in those shoes in the first place. Typically in order to earn millions in the first place, you have to be extremely competitive and extremely motivated by money. So when you have millions, you want millions more. It's a challenge. It's like saying you should be satisfied with Scratch golf, why keep pushing to be a plus handicap, if you are the kind of person who can get to scratch, you probably aren't the kind to settle there. To them it's a game of how smart can I bet to make more than anyone else. Even if you aren't greedy and motivated by the money itself, you can always make more and more so you can give to your favorite causes more and more.

Become a degenerate gambler and make friends with shady people

Or work in Washington for our govt where they get away with it every year.

And just like that, Phil and his team will take care of it. Must be nice to have almost a million dollars at your disposal to make things go away:

I wonder if insider trading has the same thrill for lefty as taking some guys cash on the course

And just like that, Phil and his team will take care of it. Must be nice to have almost a million dollars at your disposal to make things go away:

Well, it was having 2.4 million at his disposal that got him in this mess. I bet I could invest all of my available cash in a dirty deal without raising the SEC's ire.

It certainly seems like that could have been done prior to this going public to save Phil another round of bad press. I wonder if he has to testify or give a statement as part of the deal.

Back