Green speed, what kind of speeds do you prefer?

Castor Hades

Reaction score
Handicap
6.7 EGA
I played in a Pro-Am competition on Wednesday, and they had tuned the greens as fast as they could. The official stimpmeter
measurement was 11.9 feet. The course usually has 8-10 feet, depending on the season and cut.

How fast do you like your greens?

The 11.9 was quite fast, but I did like it a lot, I missed a few putts because the slick greens had more break than usual, but speed and length was not a problem, if I missed it usually was less than 18" past the hole.

I seem to but best on 10-11 seems the best for me

9-10 seems to be my sweet spot. Slow enough to be aggressive but fast enough to not have a long back stroke.

10-ish is plenty fast for me.

Probably about 10 for me. Not too fast, not too slow.

I prefer speedier greens. I'm don't know what stimpmeter rating that would be, but I like nice smooth quick greens.

I have no clue what the ratings would be. But I prefer medium-fast greens.

I am fine no matter what the speed, so long as the roll is smooth and consistent from green to green throughout the round

I also have no idea what the numbers are but a bit faster seem to suit me better

I like fast greens. I like to let the ball just roll into the hole vs slamming it in & playing on faster greens helps.

I have no clue what the ratings would be. But I prefer medium-fast greens.

Probably lower than you think. Pretty common to see people assuming 10's are 12's and so on.

I can adjust to fast or slow as long as the roll is smooth and true. My course plays at an 8, which is a little slow. My birdieball is at 10ish and I am very comfortable with that speed on course.

Speed doesn't matter to me. As long as they roll true and each green is consistent.

I don't have any idea what actual stimp ratings are. I actually don't think anybody does. I just want uniform. If the greens are slow, make them all slow. If the greens are fast, make them all fast.

Probably lower than you think. Pretty common to see people assuming 10's are 12's and so on.

definitely. That's why I don't really get in to the numbers part of it. The greens at LaCosta might have been the fastest I have ever played, extremely firm as well. The pro told me that were barely an 11. So I would venture to guess that my fast greens that I've played elsewhere are around a 8-9. Just basing it off of that.

definitely. That's why I don't really get in to the numbers part of it. The greens at LaCosta might have been the fastest I have ever played, extremely firm as well. The pro told me that were barely an 11. So I would venture to guess that my fast greens that I've played elsewhere are around a 8-9. Just basing it off of that.

For sure. I think 2012 MC at True Blue was a 10 and I remember thinking they were the fastest things I'd ever putted on. Some major slope there of course.

I like slower greens where I can "attack" the hole and hit it firm.

I play on a private course locally from time to time and they keep their greens at 10 or so most of the time. Every time I am out there I feel like they are way faster than they are, but I like it & gets interesting after they have baked a little in the afternoon sun.

For sure. I think 2012 MC at True Blue was a 10 and I remember thinking they were the fastest things I'd ever putted on. Some major slope there of course.

This is the other part to the question for me. Playing on greens with slopes or subtle breaks seems like they play faster. I know it's mental, but standing over a left to right 6 ft putt just scares me on a green running 10+.

Faster the better. My stroke improves the faster they get

I like them faster. I'm more consistent when i don't have to take a big backswing.

I prefer them fast. I'm lucky that some courses near me are in the 10's. Couple courses that hit 11 and I love playing on them. Usually they're very smooth on top of it so you know the ball is going to hold your line.

Played on a 12 only a couple times. Probably should have spent more time on that practice green first..

Faster the better but only as long as they'll hold shots still. Hate playing rock hard fast greens that won't even hold a good wedge shot

This is probably me :D

Back