Ever anticipated a good round and actually delivered?

JoeyJoeJo

Reaction score
A couple of times lately, in the run up to big rounds, I've been feeling pretty good about my game with things coming together, practice going well, hitting the ball well, but then when the round comes, some aspect of the game will up and leave town. Could be tee shots, long irons, wedges, putting, bunkers, whatever. Could also be affected weather, rushing to the course, slow play, just something gets in the way.

I'm not talking about nerves or choking in a situation, more you're sitting thursday night thinking "you know what, they way things are going, I might just do well this weekend".

I don't think I've ever had a good round when I've started the round in a good place - have you ever had that feeling that things are going to click and then shot a PB or performed awesomely? Or do the good rounds just happen when the planets and golfing gods align?

That's always the kiss of death for me.

Nope. This game continues to baffle me. My great rounds pop up whenever I'm ready to throw the clubs away and if I ever dare think I've got it together, I become a hacker.

My last four rounds were: 90 on a super easy course. 82 on a long championship course. 66 on my home course with no expectations. And 76 on the same course when I played just as well as did with the 66 but the bounces bounced out instead of in.

Go figure. Four rounds in four different deca-blocks.

It doesn't happen very often for me but it has happened. The only time I broke 80 I just knew.

Last year after the Reunion outing and a new driver I knew my first round was going to be good. Shot a 1 over 72

Last year at the CT Invitational. Was putting great on the practice green in the morning (couldn't hit the range because it was flooded) and even won a long putt contest. Had a feeling it would transfer to the course and it certainly did. I believe I shot a 75 or 76.

I use to feel that way every time I pulled into the parking lot. And then shortly after wanted to run myself over with my own car. I don't expect anything anymore. Certainly not thinking bad thoughts but just that I learned not to expect or anticipate anything great. It places pressure on it and also causes a set up for the let down. That's not to say there is no confidence but I just play one shot at a time and move along.

More often than not, expecting a real good round ends up being disappointing. There are a few exceptions, however.

Actually, yes! This one is from July 19, 2013!

I'd love to break 80 for the second time. I will be happy shooting 85 or less.

I am psychotic!

u9y4avu2.jpg

And no, that's not a typo! I really am psychotic!!!!!

I had this yesterday. I played 9 holes on Tuesday and was feeling really good about my game. Turned around and shot -1 yesterday on a pretty tough course from a hair under 7000 yds.

My confidence is at an all time high right now and I don't see any let up in the near future.

More often than not, expecting a real good round ends up being disappointing.

Yeah, it's no so much expecting, as having the feeling it might be your day, I would never *expect* a good round, I've played too many poor ones for that :D

I had this yesterday. I played 9 holes on Tuesday and was feeling really good about my game. Turned around and shot -1 yesterday on a pretty tough course from a hair under 7000 yds.

My confidence is at an all time high right now and I don't see any let up in the near future.

I kind of feel the same way, this weekend when I was at TB and Caledonia I was feeling really confident about where I am with my game and the swing, fortunately I was able to stay with the plan and put up a couple good numbers up there. It's not always like that but when you feel it you feel it.

Yeah, it's no so much expecting, as having the feeling it might be your day, I would never *expect* a good round, I've played too many poor ones for that :D

Agreed and I really meant to say most times I expect a good round I disappoint myself. I'm sure there are people who can turn not on when they want, just wish I was one of them.

Taps away

I kind of feel the same way, this weekend when I was at TB and Caledonia I was feeling really confident about where I am with my game and the swing, fortunately I was able to stay with the plan and put up a couple good numbers up there. It's not always like that but when you feel it you feel it.

I agree it's not always like that. In fact I've had the feelings before a good round and failed when it came time to produce. But now at this moment I feel nothing but low rounds in my future

I had the feeling today a couple of times--I put some irons really close, but then something weird would happen and throw it off again (missed short putt for bird, rare wild tee shot). The good news is I did not go off the rails--recovered after a double with a solid par, but just could not regain the lost ground. Ended up decent but not great like I felt going in.

I agree it's not always like that. In fact I've had the feelings before a good round and failed when it came time to produce. But now at this moment I feel nothing but low rounds in my future

Yeah, a few days after I did what I posted above, I felt an 82 and only fell 13 shots short!

Usually when I go to the tee with the idea of a great round it doesn't happen, best way to play a good round for me is bit to think before hand to much.

What a great post. I have had this conversation so many times. Think about it- golf is the only sport in the world where getting excited and revved up about the event is probably more of a negative than a positive- it is near impossible to translate that energy into a good round. All other sports it is essential to get pumped up- football, baseball, basketball, hockey, lacrosse, even tennis. Crazy sport we love!

Not once in my 34 years of trying to get a handle on this game have I played well when I felt confident about playing well. All of my best rounds happen unexpectedly after weeks of struggling and/or mediocre play. When I feel confident about doing well...things usually go poorly.

I knew I was going to get out and play 9 today, and I knew I had a good 9 score for me already banked from a week or so ago, so I knew all I needed to do was get out and play my game, stay smart. As a result, I anticipated a good round, and got one, for the most part. I've given up expecting to PR every week, and am now just focusing on playing my game and improving my accuracy.

A couple of times lately, in the run up to big rounds, I've been feeling pretty good about my game with things coming together, practice going well, hitting the ball well, but then when the round comes, some aspect of the game will up and leave town. Could be tee shots, long irons, wedges, putting, bunkers, whatever. Could also be affected weather, rushing to the course, slow play, just something gets in the way.

I'm not talking about nerves or choking in a situation, more you're sitting thursday night thinking "you know what, they way things are going, I might just do well this weekend".

I don't think I've ever had a good round when I've started the round in a good place - have you ever had that feeling that things are going to click and then shot a PB or performed awesomely? Or do the good rounds just happen when the planets and golfing gods align?

The question surmises our individual definition of "a good round" is actually good. Breaking 100 for some, 90 or 80 for others is a good day.

Personally, I always tee off on #1 with the expectation that I will have a good round, which I define as sub 85. Of late, I've only scored above that number 4 times out of my last 15 rounds. These days I attack every golf course I play with ATTITUDE..... POSITIVE ATTITUDE! So far it's working and I expect, when the next GHIN update comes out, I will again be below 18, and continuing to trend downward. While every round still has those 3 or 4 shots that I wish I had back, I truly believe that my new found ATTITUDE is worth 4 to 5 shots every round.

It's been happening quite a bit for me lately. Especially during competitive rounds. I've gone in telling myself I'm going to play well and despite giving away a stroke or two here or there I really do play well. Heck 2 weeks ago I had an absolutely terrible warm session and still felt really good to start my match in my 9 hole league. Ended up pushing my match with a 1 over par 37 and birdied the last hole to do it.

Not really. When everything is clicking and I have high expectations, I'll usually take 3-4 holes to get my first par :(

This never seems to work well for me. I get the feeling that good things will happen as a result of the practice I've been putting in, then I get to the course and something doesn't go right, then my mind says I'm screwing it up and to try harder, and then more things don't go right, and I end up blowing up when I should have been playing it cool. I need to change my expectations from scoring well to having fun and I think that should help me out.

So my expectations have been all over the place lately. My wife has taken the game up so there's that... Just kidding, we are having a blast. Playing with another couple and really enjoying it.

The first time we played I was a bit on edge about keeping pace and helping my wife from shot to shot. My game was completely off and I scored poorly. The next round we played 18 holes and the front 9 was about the same. The back 9 I finally relaxed and hit some shots, had a couple birdies and didnt really worry about score.

The next week I play with my normal group and knocked it around, topped tee shots, chunked wedges... just awful. That led me into a round at a different course, longer than normal, and with the wives again.

It was a moderately tough course and after a breakfast ball shanked into the woods, I played my best golf in a year or so, completely unexpected. It was still over a 5 hour round. We work hard to keep pace but try to get out of the way and let a group play thru when it makes sense. I had 3 birdies, was hitting greens on 185 yard par 3's, everything great.

To address the orignal post: the next weekend I go back to my home course, regular group with expectations of playing really well. I struggled putting and grinded out a few pars on the front 9. The back 9 I couldn't keep the ball in play off the tee, thinned a PW on a short par 3 and 3 jacked it. Took a 10 on the next hole, expectations shattered.

My plan is to just focus on each shot and not get wrapped up in the problems hole to hole. Each time the ball is in front of me just make a shot.

Back