Could you shoot better than 88?

No way...

I'd be lucky to shoot between 100 and 110 on this course

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I would give almost everyone here gimme 2 putts once they make it onto the green and most wouldn't sniff 88 still.

It would be fun to play though under those conditions lol, we would definitely have some fun out there.

I would love the chance to play the course after seeing it this week. All you could do is laugh

Today in the clubhouse I heard 3 guys talking about how they could probably break 90 here. I chuckled loud enough for them to hear. Some people just have no idea.

Today in the clubhouse I heard 3 guys talking about how they could probably break 90 here. I chuckled loud enough for them to hear. Some people just have no idea.
a shame you didn't have Internet golfer shirts for them

It would be fun to play though under those conditions lol, we would definitely have some fun out there.

I would love the chance to play the course after seeing it this week. All you could do is laugh

Pinehurst offered a package that you could play #2,6,7, and 8 (#2 w caddie) the week after the Women's Championship, with three night stay at the Carolina, free breakfast and dinner each day, for just over $2000. Only offered for four days. Would have been a real fun answer for this question. I couldn't swing it, but I would have liked to.

If i'm playing well, I can beat an 88.

On that course, however, if I'm not playing well, I may not break 100.

I don't doubt that some golfers on here could give 88 a "go." But the majority of golfers, with single digit handicaps couldn't even sniff an 88 under US Open conditions, on this course playing 7500 yards, and playing for the stakes they are playing for. The worst golfer playing this weekend could probably give most amateur scratch golfers 4-5 strokes a side and still win going away. JMHO

Would love to see which ones of us could shoot 88 fresh, never mind after two days of playing that course in the sweltering heat before we kept our score.

Would love to see which ones of us could shoot 88 fresh, never mind after two days of playing that course in the sweltering heat before we kept our score.

None. In fact I doubt anyone on here could break 95. These greens are just ridiculous.

Yeah ehm, no.

Have you seen all those waste areas?
And the placements of those bunkers?
And then there's the greens!

In all fairness I think about 98% of us would be ecstatic if we three putted on every hole. That's an easy 54 shots already.
Now I'm willing to bet almost 95% of us would not get more then 5 GIR. So that's an easy 13 extra shots there. Then we're talking FIR, the best of us would maybe get 60% FIR, so that's another 8 shots right there. Oh and reaching those greens would be extremely difficult, so as another 3 shots easily.
Adding up:
54 + 36 + 13 + 8 + 3 = 104 if you're lucky..

I'd hope not to have a triple on every hole, so I'm hoping to break 124 :)

These greens would destroy me.

Not me just played Bethpage Black on Tuesday. First time in over 15 yrs and shot 101, the wet sand cost me 8 shots add in 3 lost balls and thats my story. Boy is that fescue fun. LOL Played from the whites and most par 4's are still too long for me to hit in reg. Played the back with a bogey golf mindset and did better. Pinehurst 2 set up for the open I would be happy with 101.

I saw that Toru Taniguchi shot an 88 at Pinehurst today in the US Open. If you were playing well, who thinks they could beat him?

Not I........

I just think of holes like the 542 par 4 today......... I mean seriously? Just no way

My local's two Par 5's play 526 and 580 off the whites...the 526 yarder is alaways a three shot hole for me, just based on the layout (sweeping to the left with trees and no chance to cut the corner) and 580 is always a three shot hole.

I grew up in FLA playing a Donald Ross design (Dunedin Golf Club) and those turtleback greens are a pain.

I think with the setup of the course the whites at No. 2 would be a challenge for almost all of us.

Not even if I played from the regular ladies tees.

I just don't see sniffing an 88 even if I was playing well, low hundreds if I'm realistic. 7500 yds would mean 2 and 3 irons into some of those par 4's and there would be no way to hold those greens with a 2 iron, the smart play would be to lay up and see if the wedge game around the greens could make a difference but I suspect that even they would be a struggle with greens that fast and crowned. then there's the sand and sandy junky areas lol. It would be a fun try though.

I wouldn't come close.

Not a chance. I would be thrilled to break 100 there. I don't have the iron game for that course. Not even close

Could you shoot better than 88?

For me on the new design from the championship tees.

150 would be likely.

#InternetGolfer membership revoked.

Last edited:
Less than zero chance for me.

I believe the last time the US Open was held there the amateur from the golf digest "Can they Break 100" challenge was an 8 handicap and shot 114. I remember reading him saying that the 60 friends and family following him was as challenging as the course. The celebs playing were all lower handicaps than him and didn't have as much issue with the crowd.

"The damage report: Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo (whose handicap index is 2.2) shot a 13-over par 84; pop star Justin Timberlake (a 6.0) shot 98; Today Show host Matt Lauer (a 6.2) shot 100; and John Atkinson (an 8.1), who was chosen from a pool of 56,000 contest entrants nationwide, shot 114."

Back