2014 #TheGrandaddy - The Event Of A Lifetime

They can hire whoever they want, it won't deter us.

I'm such a Tyler fan. You rock buddy.

I'm such a Tyler fan. You rock buddy.

He does for sure. I have some thoughts to share for prospective THPers just need to get to my computer and I will put pen to paper

Thanks for the shout out Tyler, I appreciate you answering all my questions candidly. This is something I really want to expierence. I know others do also, and they should.
Everyone wants this for one reason or another, I have my reasons.

Hard work coming to fruition along with #TeamBasementDweller hard work culminating in a victory.
I want to be part of that, To play a course that is so exclusive, to meet new friends, to create memories that no matter how rough the day is I have those memories to retreat to.

Love seeing the excitement all around for this. It is going to be so awesome again I know. Whoever makes the team will need to bring their A game. I will be trying with everything I can to be a part of it.

While the #ZooCrew has some serious game, they are not unbeatable as demonstrated in #TheKing by some guys who played till the last ball was sunk and earned every point they could. I keep dreaming of having the opportunity to hang out with those guys again and enjoy some good golf being played.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Pretty pumped about this event I got a good feeling this year THP will take home a victory this year.

Perhaps...And he could possibly be a part of the #ZooCrew...
Team Basement Dweller will be ready.

QFT, lead by our captain dweller james!

I really want to be on the team this year. My preparation for the upcoming event in September is about to begin. It will continue to this event. This is such a special event and if picked, I want to make sure that I do everything to help Jman and team win.

I had a little talk with a couple gentlemen that I think I should definitely be listening to. I was told that I should try to get into this event and that it was going to be amazing. I have no doubt about that and I know that last years event was beyond anything that I had ever imagined. I would love to be part of team THP and a member of Jman's squad. We will see what happens, but the excitement level has gone way up after this past weekend.

I had a THP forum member reach out to me and ask me my thoughts on the #Grandaddy. I was typing them out and realized people might want to hear these from me as well. Once again these are my thoughts, and my experiences, not necessarily representative of everyone in the event.

The #Grandaddy was no doubt an awesome experience for yourself and the #DreamTeam, but I wonder if you could do something different what would it be?
Really the only thing I wish I could have done differently is win. I feel like I prepared as best I could. I put a ton of time and energy into preparing for this event, and I think it showed. I unfortunately ran into a buzz saw named Jason Finley. The dude had game; in fact the entire #Zoocrew had game. I wish we could have won, in fact, I think about it all of the time still, but I and my 7 other brothers gave it our all and I do not for one minute hang my head regarding the performance we put together.

What was something that was unexpected in terms of experience?
Really the most unexpected things had nothing to do with the golf. The first; The Zoocrew are freaking awesome. Every single one of them was extremely approachable whether you wanted to talk golf, craft beer, sports, whatever, it didn’t matter. The second was the hospitality of the golf course we played at. I was a bit worried that we would not fit in at the Hideaway, but that couldn’t have been further from the truth. Matt, the club pro, was one of the nicest guys I have ever met, and the member I was fortunate enough to play with was awesome as well. There was not a single blade of grass out of place, but at the same time riding down the fairways you heard music blasting. Everyone, Hideaway members included, just wanted to have a good time.

Did you hit any snags in your prep? and if so, did you call on others to push you through?
I ran into quite a big snag in my prep. It has been documented a bit on the site, but about 1.5 months before the event I got a bout of the shanks. When I say a bout, I mean 85% off my shots were hosel rockets across the range. I called on the help of Hawk and Freddie Kong, and both had different ways to try and fix my issue. Freddie helped with the swing, and Hawk helped me get it out of my head. I can proudly say in 3 rounds at the Hideaway I didn’t hit a single one. It was something that made me quite nervous, but I was glad I was able to get the issues sorted out before the event.

And, do you think a hack like me could make a run and be successful?
I think anyone who is willing to work hard and dedicate the time and effort to being their best could make a run and do well. Like we have been saying, practice like you are already on the team now, and if you get chosen you will be on the right path. Waiting until being selected would be a mistake. The Zoocrew is preparing right now, I have ZERO doubts about that. They will be ready, let’s make sure THP and #TeamBasementDwellers will be ready.

All this being said... I will be trying again. I want revenge, I want to take down the ZooCrew and Finley, and I want to do it with my good friend Jman

Like everyone else I'm working on my game and would love to be in #TheDos. What a great event it was to follow last year. But I don't want to follow this year.....I want to help lead TEAM THP to the win.

Good stuff TH!

If you're a high index I wouldn't be worried about not contributing. Callaway seems to like indexed events and had some pretty high ones out there. If you're a 20 just play like a 20 and you'll be fine. Mix it up and play some different places with different people.

He does for sure. I have some thoughts to share for prospective THPers just need to get to my computer and I will put pen to paper

I will as well. I need to regroup and look at everything objectively. It's hard to do when seeing photos of the course and reading the comments in here.

I don't dare wander into the recap thread unless I have a lot of time to spare.

If you're a high index I wouldn't be worried about not contributing. Callaway seems to like indexed events and had some pretty high ones out there. If you're a 20 just play like a 20 and you'll be fine. Mix it up and play some different places with different people.

This shouldn't keep anyone from not striving to improve though. No matter your handicap, you can put in work to play the best that you possibly can. No one is asking anyone to drop ten strokes off their handicap, that's not realistic. However, you can always do more to improve your game, no matter you handicap.

This shouldn't keep anyone from not striving to improve though. No matter your handicap, you can put in work to play the best that you possibly can. No one is asking anyone to drop ten strokes off their handicap, that's not realistic. However, you can always do more to improve your game, no matter you handicap.

Well yea that's a given lol. I'm just saying - don't get tied up in a number. Get tied up in being the best golfer you can be at strange places under pressure. You'll be better off in an indexed event 10/10 times with that approach.

Preparing and doing so the right way, leaning on the ones that have been there and done that I feel can be an important ingredient in a recipe for success.

The #ZooCrew must not prevail this time, I know I will be putting in my all wether I am picked or not, preparing for the moment, wanting and learning to thrive on that pressure, just in case I'm called upon.

Preparing and doing so the right way, leaning on the ones that have been there and done that I feel can be an important ingredient in a recipe for success.

The #ZooCrew must not prevail this time, I know I will be putting in my all wether I am picked or not, preparing for the moment, wanting and learning to thrive on that pressure, just in case I'm called upon.

Good stuff buddy. I love how passionate you are about this. I hope we both can represent THP this winter

I think it's great to see the guys of #thedreamteam posting their prep and what they would do differently. I think the hardest part to getting better with your game is devising a plan and sticking to that plan. Thanks guys!

Workin' on the game each and every day. Whether it's putting for an hour at the course up the road after dinner, 1-2 hour range session after work, or just swinging the weighted Momentus 5 iron on the lawn in my spare time. You can count that I'll be ready for battle come December.

Ryan is right about mixing up who/where you play. That will benefit you a lot in this event I think.

also play for something.. Even if it is $1 or a beer at the end of the round.. It will keep that competitive spirit going

I had a THP forum member reach out to me and ask me my thoughts on the #Grandaddy. I was typing them out and realized people might want to hear these from me as well. Once again these are my thoughts, and my experiences, not necessarily representative of everyone in the event.

The #Grandaddy was no doubt an awesome experience for yourself and the #DreamTeam, but I wonder if you could do something different what would it be?
Really the only thing I wish I could have done differently is win. I feel like I prepared as best I could. I put a ton of time and energy into preparing for this event, and I think it showed. I unfortunately ran into a buzz saw named Jason Finley. The dude had game; in fact the entire #Zoocrew had game. I wish we could have won, in fact, I think about it all of the time still, but I and my 7 other brothers gave it our all and I do not for one minute hang my head regarding the performance we put together.

What was something that was unexpected in terms of experience?
Really the most unexpected things had nothing to do with the golf. The first; The Zoocrew are freaking awesome. Every single one of them was extremely approachable whether you wanted to talk golf, craft beer, sports, whatever, it didn’t matter. The second was the hospitality of the golf course we played at. I was a bit worried that we would not fit in at the Hideaway, but that couldn’t have been further from the truth. Matt, the club pro, was one of the nicest guys I have ever met, and the member I was fortunate enough to play with was awesome as well. There was not a single blade of grass out of place, but at the same time riding down the fairways you heard music blasting. Everyone, Hideaway members included, just wanted to have a good time.

Did you hit any snags in your prep? and if so, did you call on others to push you through?
I ran into quite a big snag in my prep. It has been documented a bit on the site, but about 1.5 months before the event I got a bout of the shanks. When I say a bout, I mean 85% off my shots were hosel rockets across the range. I called on the help of Hawk and Freddie Kong, and both had different ways to try and fix my issue. Freddie helped with the swing, and Hawk helped me get it out of my head. I can proudly say in 3 rounds at the Hideaway I didn’t hit a single one. It was something that made me quite nervous, but I was glad I was able to get the issues sorted out before the event.

And, do you think a hack like me could make a run and be successful?
I think anyone who is willing to work hard and dedicate the time and effort to being their best could make a run and do well. Like we have been saying, practice like you are already on the team now, and if you get chosen you will be on the right path. Waiting until being selected would be a mistake. The Zoocrew is preparing right now, I have ZERO doubts about that. They will be ready, let’s make sure THP and #TeamBasementDwellers will be ready.

All this being said... I will be trying again. I want revenge, I want to take down the ZooCrew and Finley, and I want to do it with my good friend Jman
Great stuff man, can't wait to pick your brain in iowa!!!

Thanks for all the advice. I have been working on my game for a year, seeing improvement steadily, with the goals being 1) single digit hcp by Dec 31 and 2) getting an invite to a THP event! TheDos in CA would be a great way to continue my journey and keep improving with a tangible, unimaginable reward! I will be better come December, no matter what!

2014 #TheGrandaddy - The Event Of A Lifetime

I'm keeping my eyes on this event. Would require some schedule/budget maneuvering, if I am one of the lucky ones.

Last edited:
Back