The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

I'm actually very frustrated with where my game is at right now. I've played golf 4 out of the last 5 days, and seen my scores get progressively worse as I've reverted to my old lazy swing habits. My putting also hasn't come along like I'd like. I feel like I'm getting close as I'm burning edges, but I still need to get that dialed in over the next 5 weeks. My strategy for the rest of this journey is to spend more time on the range and less actually golfing. I got a little carried away with golf and that's taken away from my time to actually work on things, so once I get that balance back, I think I'll see some good things.

I'd done the same thing recently when I was having a bit of a rough patch to start the season. I don't know why I thought I would be able to follow up a couple complete blow-up rounds where my swing disappeared with a good ball striking round without some time on the range between. Went out, focused on half swings for maybe half the time to get myself back on plane, and things got better quick. I'm sure it won't take much to get you back on track, Neb.

While I'm not in the MC, I've got my name in the hat, and that's given me the opportunity to think about the things that I want to work on over the next month, whether I'm chosen or not. While I'm playing better golf than I have in a long time, I've still got a lot to work on. Planning on spending the afternoon on the putting green. Had too many GIR with nothing to show for it last time out.

For me it's been hit or miss. Granted I've had many better days than those that are completely frustrating. I think I've figured out my tee game and controlling the ball flight. Iron ball striking has been key and where I've seen the most improvement throughout the journey. I think that will be my crutch come July should I find myself in trouble. Where I've been most disappointed at is my putting. I started the season off putting much better than I have been since my grip change. With that being said there still is time to right the ship in that aspect and come July I expect I will be happy with my game.

We are in the home stretch gents. #continuetobringit

I generally like where my game is right now. I wasn't too thrilled with the scoring on my last round, but I overall was pleased with how I played. Things were just a touch off, and putts weren't dropping. It happens -- it's amateur golf.

I will continue to put the work in between now and July 25. I'm trying to squeeze in one or two extra, early morning range sessions before work. Getting clubs in my hands more often tends to make me a better player.

I'm also pulling a page from my experience preparing for and playing in the Grandaddy. I'm trying to relax and not get too stressed about not having a perfect game. I'm bringing my game to MB. It's not perfect, but it will be pretty darn solid. Just need to relax and continue putting in the work.

I'm actually very frustrated with where my game is at right now. I've played golf 4 out of the last 5 days, and seen my scores get progressively worse as I've reverted to my old lazy swing habits. My putting also hasn't come along like I'd like. I feel like I'm getting close as I'm burning edges, but I still need to get that dialed in over the next 5 weeks. My strategy for the rest of this journey is to spend more time on the range and less actually golfing. I got a little carried away with golf and that's taken away from my time to actually work on things, so once I get that balance back, I think I'll see some good things.
That's about how I'm feeling. Getting a bit frustrated. Felt like this is the point where I would be worried about peaking too early, but lately my golf game is like upgrading a computer...halfway through you're just hoping you can get it back to where you started!

How is everyone doing? Is all the prep going well and are you happy with where you're at going in to mid June?

I am actually in a good place golf wise, I think all the range work this spring has really put me in a place where the confidence is at a pretty good high, the putting is awesome (thanks Kang) and the distances are coming around, I still struggle a bit with distance but it's coming round.

How about you

Terrible. All my opponents are in for an easy round. I'm not playing well or hitting good shots. So, if you're playing me take it easy for the next month and enjoy the summer.

I still have some work to be done. I finally found an instructor I like and we are making some minor tweaks with the short time there is left. I also need to spend more time in the short game area to perfect the changes I made in that area at the start of the season.

How is everyone doing? Is all the prep going well and are you happy with where you're at going in to mid June?

I am actually in a good place golf wise, I think all the range work this spring has really put me in a place where the confidence is at a pretty good high, the putting is awesome (thanks Kang) and the distances are coming around, I still struggle a bit with distance but it's coming round.

How about you

Ups and downs, so status quo I suppose. Two weeks ago I would have told you I was ready to play. This week I'm glad I have a few more weeks.

Happy with the work I've put in and if I look at it without my typical negative view there are some definite positives. I'll be a better player than I was two years ago or six months ago and that's about all I can try to do.

I am feeling the same lately and me playing a round with my Captain (Canadan) Saturday I think it really showed. Right now I am stuck in a 92-97 zone and seems like if my short game improves my long game is just gone. Been having issues with the darn tee box and hitting it OB. Another thing is attitude/mental side of the game. I gotta stay positive out there and if I don't, well I just keep seeing mistakes happeneing. Sometimes you just need to stand back and smile, and say hey this is just a game so just freaking enjoy it and do your best. So stay strong everyone and be positive...

That's about how I'm feeling. Getting a bit frustrated. Felt like this is the point where I would be worried about peaking too early, but lately my golf game is like upgrading a computer...halfway through you're just hoping you can get it back to where you started!

The competition side of this event dictates that we all continue the journey til the end. But there is a fun side of this event that should not be lost. I know we all want to show the world, our teammates and ourselves the best we have. But realizing you've reached that best point is key.

Take stock in your game and really look at all the positives not the negatives. It's golf, it's filled with highs and low. Don't let the low dictate where you actually might be. If you feel you need a break, take one for a few days and relax. Trust me when I say you'll be in a better place. Let the mind forget the negative, recharge and then get back at it.

I know each and everyone of you has sacrificed a lot for the game we love and I promise it will be evident once the ball drops in MB. TRUST, in yourself, in your commitment and in your goal. Hold your heads high and prepare for the BEST DAMN GOLF EVENT EVER!! PERIOD!

My short game and putting are the best they have probably ever been. I feel like I can get up and down if I miss a green. Big areas that still need work for me are sand game and also finding a bit more consistency off the tee with my driver.

My game is inconsistent right now. Next week I'll start playing 4-5 times. Hopefully it starts to settle in

How is your hip? I hope its better

My game is solid but always room for improvement. My game is better than last year this time. Very happy with all the progress made with the new add to the swing.

Overall I feel I am at a good place in my game for this stretch of the journey. I have finally been posting scores I know I am capable of and that has given me confidence all around. I am still struggling with a few aspects of the game but unlike years past, I have identified the problems and I know what I have to do to fix them. Over these last few weeks it will be about repetition for me with a focus on chipping and putting

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

My game feels good from tee to green. On the green however, I'm getting a little frustrated since it's aeration time and almost every course near me is aerating, or healing from it. Putting good strokes on the ball and watching it plinko all around doesn't inspire confidence in the least. Just a minor frustration.

Ugh I hate playing on aerated greens I don't think there is another short game confidence killer more than that.

Ugh I hate playing on aerated greens I don't think there is another short game confidence killer more than that.

You know it's the green but after a while of just missing putts, you start messing with your stroke and it's just stupid

The competition side of this event dictates that we all continue the journey til the end. But there is a fun side of this event that should not be lost. I know we all want to show the world, our teammates and ourselves the best we have. But realizing you've reached that best point is key.

Take stock in your game and really look at all the positives not the negatives. It's golf, it's filled with highs and low. Don't let the low dictate where you actually might be. If you feel you need a break, take one for a few days and relax. Trust me when I say you'll be in a better place. Let the mind forget the negative, recharge and then get back at it.

I know each and everyone of you has sacrificed a lot for the game we love and I promise it will be evident once the ball drops in MB. TRUST, in yourself, in your commitment and in your goal. Hold your heads high and prepare for the BEST DAMN GOLF EVENT EVER!! PERIOD!

Damn straight.

Practice, accept your limitations as a human, and focus on the good things you have going on.

You know it's the green but after a while of just missing putts, you start messing with your stroke and it's just stupid

I think the trickiest thing for me is when I'm working to hone in my putting, I'll make a conscious effort to keep my head down and wait to look at the ball (not like I'm going to lose it on a green). So, if it takes a hard turn off an aeration hole at the beginning, I might miss that. When it comes to aeration time, I really just focus on pace.

I think the trickiest thing for me is when I'm working to hone in my putting, I'll make a conscious effort to keep my head down and wait to look at the ball (not like I'm going to lose it on a green). So, if it takes a hard turn off an aeration hole at the beginning, I might miss that. When it comes to aeration time, I really just focus on pace.

Completely agree. I just try and make sure that second putt is short so it doesn't have time to bounce off line

How is your hip? I hope its better
Thank you for asking, it's day to day. The hip gets therapy everyday. Some days are better than others. Doc told me to stop playing til it heals properly. I'll shut it down in October but for now I'll play through the pain.
Damn straight.

Practice, accept your limitations as a human, and focus on the good things you have going on.
Damn skippy cap

Thank you for asking, it's day to day. The hip gets therapy everyday. Some days are better than others. Doc told me to stop playing til it heals properly. I'll shut it down in October but for now I'll play through the pain.

Damn skippy cap
be careful my friend

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This has been a real struggle for me through this journey. I'm on a team with 7 great guys who play some amazing golf, and I really don't want to be the weak link that costs them a shot at winning this thing. I've been pushing myself since December, and I was hoping to be further along than I am, but with the way things are going, I feel like I'm in cram mode before a big test.

My wife actually commented that I don't seem to enjoy golf as much lately, always coming home complaining about not playing well enough, and to be honest it hasn't been as fun trying to live up to my expectations. I'm caught between this place of wanting to improve for my team and this event, and still having fun with golf; I feel like if I focus on having fun and not worrying about my score, I'm not working hard enough for my team. I'm going to try and take a few days off from actual golf and just practice things without the pressure to score and see how that goes. I keep telling myself that this is the work part and the reward will be reaped in Myrtle, and that keeps me working when I want to coast down the home stretch.

This has been a real struggle for me through this journey. I'm on a team with 7 great guys who play some amazing golf, and I really don't want to be the weak link that costs them a shot at winning this thing. I've been pushing myself since December, and I was hoping to be further along than I am, but with the way things are going, I feel like I'm in cram mode before a big test.

My wife actually commented that I don't seem to enjoy golf as much lately, always coming home complaining about not playing well enough, and to be honest it hasn't been as fun trying to live up to my expectations. I'm caught between this place of wanting to improve for my team and this event, and still having fun with golf; I feel like if I focus on having fun and not worrying about my score, I'm not working hard enough for my team. I'm going to try and take a few days off from actual golf and just practice things without the pressure to score and see how that goes. I keep telling myself that this is the work part and the reward will be reaped in Myrtle, and that keeps me working when I want to coast down the home stretch.

Golf is a crazy game! It is so easy to get frustrated and to over do the "trying hard" side of it. Sometimes the biggest breakthroughs come when you do your best but then accept the results you get. All we can ask for is your best effort--you are showing time and time again how you are putting in the work, but don't forget to enjoy the game too. As you relax and enjoy the playing the results and score actually get better. I played some angry golf for a time and I got frustrated--love the game swing your swing and then accept the result. Just look at how far you have come!

Back