Lateral Line L2 Putter -THP Preview

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
In for review here at THP is one that is quite different from pretty much everything we are currently seeing on the market, the Lateral Line L2 Traditional putter. Some may know the L2 name for their side saddle putters but the L2 in for review is their Traditional model (ie normal putting style).

The L2 Traditional putter is focused around the concept that "size does matter" according to the company, essentially they are trying to take the same concept as oversized drivers and what they did for overall playability to putters. With a 620 gram head and a 200g square elongated grip, this one is extremely different from the start, and there is simply no other way of putting it except that it is quite large in its overall footprint.

It does stand on its own which is one of their claims to aiding alignment and unlike other putters we have seen that stand on their own, this one actually does it easily and sturdily, with a 620g head though that shouldn't be surprising. Also interesting is the "variable loft" where because of the bevel/angle on the sole of the club it can be set up at 2-4* of loft. Its interesting to say the least.

Information on the L2 Concept:
THE L2 LATERAL LINE PUTTER ADVANTAGE

1. THE L2 DESIGN USES ITS WEIGHT TO PRODUCE A HUGE M.O.I. WHICH MAINTAINS STABILITY DURING THE ENTIRE STROKE.
  2. THIS PRECISE WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION CREATES A 3 INCH SWEET SPOT WHICH REDUCES MISS HITS AND ALLOWS YOU TO TRUST THE PUTTER WHILE YOU LOOK AT THE HOLE DURING THE STROKE.
  3. THE PARALLEL ALIGNMENT MARKS "FRAME THE TRACK LINE TO THE CUP" AS YOU ALIGN THE L2 FROM BEHIND THE BALL, MAKING ALIGNMENT EASY.
  4. THE FLAT SOLE GUARANTEES THAT THE HEAD WILL STAY IN PLACE AFTER CLUB ALIGNMENT IS COMPLETE, WHICH THEN GIVES YOU A REFERENCE POINT FOR YOUR BODY POSITIONING DOWN THE TRACK LINE.
  5. THE L2 GRIP HAS BEEN CUSTOM DESIGNED TO ACTIVATE YOUR SHOULDER MOTION AS IT QUIETS YOUR HAND, WRIST, AND FINGERS.
  6. THE GRIP WEIGHT COMPLEMENTS THE HEAD WEIGHT PRODUCING AN OVERALL CLUB M.O.I. FOR A SMOOTH, STABLE, FULL STROKE MOTION.
  7. THE L2 PUTTER WAS DESIGNED FOR PUTTING GOLF BALLS ON GREENS WITH THE PURPOSE OF GETTING THE BALL INTO THE CUP.
MOST PUTTERS ON THE MARKET ARE DESIGNED TO SELL TO GOLFERS WHO PUTT ON GREENS. THEY CATER TO LOOKS AND FEEL, WHICH ARE PERSONAL PREFERENCES, DESIGNED TO SELL YOU A CLUB....YEAR AFTER YEAR!

YOU BE THE JUDGE AND YOU WILL SEE THE "DIFFERENCE".

L2 Traditional Specifications:
THE L2 TRADITIONAL PUTTER SPECIFICATIONS

• HEAD MATERIAL: STEEL
  • FACE INSERT: PLASTIC COMPOSITE
  • TOE TO HEEL LENGTH: 6 ¼ INCHES
  • FRONT TO BACK WIDTH: 4 INCHES
  • FACE LENGTH FROM TOE TO HEEL: 5 INCHES
  • FACE THICKNESS: 1 INCH
  • IMPACT AREA: 3 ½ INCHES
  • FACE LOFT: 2 DEGREES [varies to 4 degrees]
  • HEAD WEIGHT: 620 GRAMS
  • LIE ANGLE: 70 - 75 DEGREES
THE L2 SOLE IS FLAT FROM TOE TO HEEL WITH A TAPER TOWARD THE BACK FOR GROUND CLEARANCE AND LOFT CHANGE CAPABILITY WHICH CAN VARY THE LOFT RANGE FROM 2 DEGREES TO 4 DEGREES. THE L2 TRADITIONAL PUTTER HAS "STAND ALONE" CAPABILITY FOR BETTER ALIGNMENT.

In-Hand Images:

DSC_0401-L.jpg

DSC_0403-L.jpg

DSC_0409-L.jpg

DSC_0407-L.jpg

DSC_0406-L.jpg

DSC_0408-L.jpg

DSC_0413-L.jpg

DSC_0410-L.jpg

DSC_0414-L.jpg

DSC_0412-L.jpg

That is not a pretty putter. The non-symmetrical shape throws me off.

Last edited:
  • Staff
Its different for sure.

Yeah, I'm not keen on the looks. I can kind of understand what they're going for, but it just doesn't work visually for me. That said, there's some interesting tech in it and I'm curious how it feels. Look forward to hearing more.

• Staff
It puts a solid roll on the ball, it really does, I come back to a few things thusfar though:

1) The variable loft because of the sole makes it easy to set up to the ball differently and introduce a variable much like forward pressing does with different lofts on different strokes.

2) The square grip feels surprisingly good to be honest.

3) HEAVY, even with a 200g counterbalance on the butt end, it feels like a 620g head.

4) DEFINITELY a high MOI design, ball wants to roll quick and true across the 3" face, retention on "misses" is surprising.

5) Sound is unlike anything I've heard, not a tuning fork like as I have seen/heard from some other large HMOI designs, but its still got a little of that tingy nature mixed with a different type of click at impact. Doesn't feel harsh because there is so much weight behind it.

6) It might be bigger than the PING Doc.

That thing looks bigger than those old Ping putters I remember. That looks huge.

That thing has to be huge in person. Wowsers.

• Staff
That thing looks bigger than those old Ping putters I remember. That looks huge.

Yeah, its very Doc'ish

908C56F9CFDC4C52A3E5E4765DAD8588.jpg

This thing is pretty crazy looking.

But....if it lowers my scores consistently then how can I say no?

How does the sushi cover look on it? ;)

Wow that putter is interesting. The CS with the design of the shaft really throws my eye for a curve.

Crazy looking putter. In the last picture, is the putter standing up on its own?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

This thing is pretty crazy looking.

But....if it lowers my scores consistently then how can I say no?

How does the sushi cover look on it? ;)

I think that is always the battle for things like this that look so different from what we are accustomed to, at what point does the performance over looks thing reach its threshold for the individual?

Wow that putter is interesting. The CS with the design of the shaft really throws my eye for a curve.

I'll get an address pic up here in a bit, its def a unique location but the bend helps as it looks at setup.

Crazy looking putter. In the last picture, is the putter standing up on its own?

Skimmer :alien:

Indeed it is, and unlike the True Balance it does it easily, sturdily, and without issues of falling over. You could literally align this one from behind to your line, in fact I think they talk about that on their site IIRC.

Skimmer :alien:

Indeed it is, and unlike the True Balance it does it easily, sturdily, and without issues of falling over. You could literally align this one from behind to your line, in fact I think they talk about that on their site IIRC.
haha I thought that as I was hitting the post button! I kept coming back to that picture though and couldn't get it out of my head.

haha I thought that as I was hitting the post button! I kept coming back to that picture though and couldn't get it out of my head.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatever Andy.

Ben rolling this today in between writing some other things up, its just extremely large, even compared to other mallets I have, its the first thing you notice no matter what, followed immediately by the weight.

At least it's subtle.

It is definitely a unique putter, I imagine you won't see it at retail very often. I would love to get my hands on it just to see what it is like.

That IS one big putter. With a 620g head and a 3 inch sweet spot, this will be a fun thread to follow and hear what you think of this.

Reminds me if the T-Frame. I like it. I want to roll it.

Very interesting

swing your swing

Interesting design for sure. I really like the allignment help,should be a solid stick

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

That is a unique putter. Would be interesting to give it a go on the practice green to see what it's about.

I'd give it a shot, but with something that big, I'd sure end up testing how forgiving it can me.

Back