Greetings from Dubai

Togaflex

Reaction score
Handicap
beginner
Hi, my name is Chris, i'm a Brit living and working in Dubai. Im struggling to type this because i have blisters on my hands after a long session on the range yesterday.

I picked up a club for the first time last week and hit a few balls off the range for a laugh not really expecting to enjoy it or anything. Enjoyed it so much i bought some new clubs (in fact the whole thing, see my signature, lets call it a very expensive rush of blood to the head) and have been bitted by the bug. Second driving session yesterday, enjoyed it a lot.

I work in shipping/marine fuels, and am a Londoner by origin, have lived in Singapore as well. I enjoy Dubai now ive acclimatised to the heat.

Plan now is to go to the range once a week and concentrate on how i hit the ball. I learned yesterday that powering through the ball drastically decreases accuracy and that all i need to do is swing the club accurately with almost no power behind it and the driver will do the rest. If i just swing the club it goes 150 yards, thats good enoigh for now. Can worry about distance later. Its offputting being stood next to guys who are ripping 250+ yard drives every time but thats why we practice! Will take a few lessons in a few weeks time and just spend the summer learning how to consistently hit the ball sweetly (I do it perhaps 25% of the time at the moment, more often when i dont put any power into it) and will try to get on top of my chipping and putting at the same time. Not going anywhere near a course until i learn to hit the ball every time. Am a total noob trying to watch others and teach myself the basics - any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated!!!

CM

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP Chris. Quite a few good courses in Dubai, as seen on tv from the desert classic. Keep up the practice this is a wonderdul game and full of excitement.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Thanks guys - very nice of you

Welcome to THP Chris

:welcome:

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!

:welcome: glad to have you aboard Chris. Nice intro and very nice first set of clubs. I love your attitude and if you can get lessons from a qualified instructor it would make your game improve by leaps and bounds. Good luck.

Welcome to THP!! That is exactly how I learned to play. My now husband brought me to the range for months and we would just practice hitting balls until I became more consistent with hitting them. The first time we went to the course it was a little par 3 course near the college we went to.

Welcome to THP and the wonderful game of golf Chris

Welcome to THP Chris!

Welcome to THP

:welcome: glad to have you aboard Chris. Nice intro and very nice first set of clubs. I love your attitude and if you can get lessons from a qualified instructor it would make your game improve by leaps and bounds. Good luck.

Thanks man - thats lovely of you to say. I'm one of those guys who needs to feel like he is making progress to stay into it, and so that means a lot of driving range trips. Good news is i live 10 mins from Emirates Golf Club and 10 mins from Arabian Ranches Golf Club so no excuse really. I'm into the mental/theoretical side of the game too, so am reading a lot, digesting as much as i can and when i finally do let myself loose on a course, even a little exec par 3, i will hopefully have the mental side down enough to fall back on if my technique fails me.

What i've learned so far is that poor shots, poor rounds or even months of seemingly making no progress are what kills the game for a lot of people because they let it get into their heads and it affects their enjoyment, you just have to be ready to laugh it off and keep at it, dont start to resent it or get negative. Its hard to commit to something you arent enjoying. I'm not going to burden myself with expectations, the chances of me ever having a decent handicap are low and i'll probably only ever play my mates now and again. Just got to work hard at it, enjoy it and have a laugh. Nuff said!

I'm one of those guys who may only hit three or four really really good shots in one driving session but the feeling of getting that loft, accuracy, distance and that lovely metalic THUNK sound - it is enough to keep me coming back. Some people just basically enjoy hitting golf balls, and i'm one of thsoe guys :)

...and i am going to get some lessons soon.

Quick question, best to do it now while i'm still very very raw and struggling to consistently hit the ball, or in a month or two when i'm improved enough to be hitting every time and starting to think about distance etc, but potentially taught myself soem bad habits?

What do you reckon guys?

Welcome aboard! Be sure to check out Tadashi's Swing Tips section, you may find a lot of info there useful as you start developing your swing.

Welcome to THP!!! If I had the $$$ at the time, I would have definitely taken lessons right off the bat, as the instructor would be able to build my swing instead of dealing with fixing swing flaws.

Welcome to thp

Welcome to the team Chris. You found the right place!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!

Back