Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

So my buddy had a set of altitudes in the bag today. He said he just couldn't miss with them. I hit the 4h and I was very impressed. Wow. Now I'm not going to buy a whole set but I'd stack that hybrid right up there with the xtd pro and anything from our idea line. Wow.

Guess I shouldn't have knocked it till I tried it.

Amazing how that works eh? Hahahaha

Talking to Eddie (Afw) this weekend at the SeeMore event he mentioned the 4 hyron and how I hit it, he's right, that club was a weapon for me and post MC may need to be again. I've said it 1000 times though and will again, I will have another set of these this winter.

Well I apologize to those who took offence to me bagging on these sticks. They really are legit.

Well I apologize to those who took offence to me bagging on these sticks. They really are legit.

No offense taken, I wasn't head over heels in love with them at first either

Tappin pars

Amazing how that works eh? Hahahaha

Talking to Eddie (Afw) this weekend at the SeeMore event he mentioned the 4 hyron and how I hit it, he's right, that club was a weapon for me and post MC may need to be again. I've said it 1000 times though and will again, I will have another set of these this winter.
That 4 is so stupid easy to hit. night and day compared to other 4irons out there

I got the 3i back with stock graphite this past weekend. Needs a new home.

The 3i and I weren't on the most consistent of terms haha

I wish I never sold my 3 Alti.

I got to play a couple of rounds in the last week, which is rare due to my schedule. The Altitudes were the strength of the bag -- high and straight and almost no side spin. For a high handicap hack, I can't really ask for anything more.

There are some trade offs on either "edge" of the set. I hit some more traditional hybrids a little better than I do the Altitude 4 from the deck, though I'm very confident in the Alt 4 from a short tee. I think the P and D wedges are great on full swings, but I prefer my Niblicks due to their overall versatility. I can see "swapping" the edges based on the course and how my short game is running.

Impressions after one round of use. Love these! Didn't do too well with the 6-DW, but I think that had more to do with the grips that were installed. Last night I switched out the Lamkin Crossline oversized grips for some Pure DTX standards and they feel better for my hands. The 4 and 5 were super easy to hit and elevate off the deck and even easier to hit off a tee. The 3 was more challenging to elevate as high as I would like off the deck, but manageable with a good swing. Off the tee, great trajectory and distance. Even with the wrong sized grips for me, I loved how they performed! Can't wait to hit them with the pures on them!

As of right now it appears I may be rocking the Tude 4I in the MC, just has been a club Ive hit better than other 4 irons and hybrids in most cases

As of right now it appears I may be rocking the Tude 4I in the MC, just has been a club Ive hit better than other 4 irons and hybrids in most cases

Can't blame you. The 4 iron just gets the ball up and goes.

I could use your help:

I love my altitudes, and I hit them well. But I have found that with the 6 iron--and only the 6 iron--when I hit the ball there is a very tinny and metallic sounding "tink" noise. All the others--it's more of a "snick" with no metallic sound at all.

But with that 6, it's loud. I have no idea if it's a symptom of something afecting performance and thus is a warranty/replacement issue or if it's just an anomaly/subtlety of clubs themselves.

Any insight?

I could use your help:

I love my altitudes, and I hit them well. But I have found that with the 6 iron--and only the 6 iron--when I hit the ball there is a very tinny and metallic sounding "tink" noise. All the others--it's more of a "snick" with no metallic sound at all.

But with that 6, it's loud. I have no idea if it's a symptom of something afecting performance and thus is a warranty/replacement issue or if it's just an anomaly/subtlety of clubs themselves.

Any insight?

Not something I have noticed in my experiences, maybe someone else that has hit them more than me can chime in? Or maybe try contacting Cleveland to see if they have heard of such a thing

Your right, the sound is there more in the 6 than others. It is more muted in the other clubs.
I could use your help:

Any insight?

I like the sound of this. I have a brandy new 4 hyron waiting for this cast to come off. It feels real nice swinging it one handed though.

I could use your help:

Any insight?

Kinda funny cause I notice a tink with my 6i as well.

I could use your help:

Any insight?

Kinda funny cause I notice a tink with my 6i as well.
I'm no scientist, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but could it be head shape/size related?

I only have 4 and 6 hyrons, and I've yet to hit the 4, but there is a considerable size difference between the two.

I'm no scientist, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but could it be head shape/size related?

I only have 4 and 6 hyrons, and I've yet to hit the 4, but there is a considerable size difference between the two.

That's what I was thinking, maybe the six is just between being big or small into to the unique sizing it has a different sound with the space in the head and all that?

Forgive the typos.

That's what I was thinking, maybe the six is just between being big or small into to the unique sizing it has a different sound with the space in the head and all that?

Forgive the typos.
Exactly what I was getting at, but said a whole lot better.

Your right, the sound is there more in the 6 than others. It is more muted in the other clubs.

I find the same thing with mine, it feels a little different than the others also, not something I am concerned about.

4 and 5 in these are so easy to hit. Wish I would have picked these up when they came out.

Back