Fujikura MCI Iron Shaft Review

Just now seeing this review. Tons of info and feedback. Hawk, you continually provide outstanding reviews. Thanks for mentioning these shafts in the Graphite shaft thread. I hadn't heard of the MCI's before and they seem to be a nice transition into graphite iron shafts from steel.

Thanks for the kind words troy! Great shaft.

Every time this thread comes up, I want these more.

I need to get together with you this year so you can try them. I think you'd be a little blown away.

Thanks for the kind words troy! Great shaft.

I need to get together with you this year so you can try them. I think you'd be a little blown away.

Oh, it shall happen sir. I need mah Hawk time.

I wonder if we will look back in 5years and say wow no none plays steel anymore

Probably not quite that much of a change in 5 years, but I think we'll see more and more.

#Evolution

I am getting on board w/ this program very soon. Just need to find a place to demo the different models. Hard to commit to purchase a set w/o trying out the options.

That (and cost) are probably the two biggest issues facing the 'performance' graphite. You're starting to see them available now, but even then they are often lighter versions with the same name.

Apparently, these are going to be more widely distributed among Fuji chartered dealers this year. Club Champion falls in that category and I know it's become a popular place here. Also, there is a hybrid shaft coming out. Still a shame to me that this is such a good product and so hard to find in fitting carts. Hopefully that changes this year.

Kills me that its so hard to find, these are still firmly on my must try list.

Apparently they were an option with Titleist for one forum member. He went with the lighter version and has had some good things to say.

I really should give these a try not sure how they will work out but I'm always interested to see what shafts produce what for me

Thanks to some nagging hand issues I decided to bring these back into play, but I really didn't want to leave them in the iron set they were in. If I'd had all TT's then I would have, but I don't.

Issue remains that these are .370 shafts (Fujikura will bring them to .355 at request). Options were to find some .370 iron heads or get creative. I did a bunch of reading and decided it was not that huge of a deal and I'd just taper them to .355 myself. Last 5/8" of the tip with some sandpaper and it didn't take long at all. Pretty easy really. Just made sure to go slow and quit once they seated properly. The walls in the tip section are more than thick enough to handle a little sanding.

Since the set I am putting them in has an AW, I decided to just soft step them. If I'd had another wedge shaft I wouldn't have bothered, but it worked out. Looking like they'll swingweight out in the D2-D4 range at +1/2", which is just about perfect.

Hoping they are easier on my hand. I didn't want to shelve the Ap1's, but if things get better I'll put those back in the bag most likely. For now though, very much looking forward to putting these guys back in play.

Some pics of the finished product. Put one in the club building thread, but just in case someone is browsing down the road...

3evupury.jpg

8ejeju9u.jpg

2uhy6ydy.jpg

Fujikura MCI Iron Shaft Review

Those look real good, Hawk. I just switched to a composite shaft and a nagging wrist issue is already gone. Are those the forged 2.0's? Have you had a chance to hit yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! They are actually vrs forged. The previous version, though I've hit the new ones too.

Nice. I look forward to hearing how you like them.

Nice. I look forward to hearing how you like them.

Loved them in the 588's, but didn't love the MT heads as much as the TT's, otherwise I wouldn't have done this. Hope to have some feedback here in the next week or so. Hopefully the first thing I say is that my hand doesn't hurt :)

Limited time, but I liked what I saw and felt today on the driving range.

Longer irons (5&6) were flying unusually far, which basically means they were going the distance they should. I can get some bunched up gaps down there at times, but not so much today. Good height and the distance was right on.

Some pics of the finished product. Put one in the club building thread, but just in case someone is browsing down the road...

Those are some nice looking clubs. I love the VRS forged heads. Pretty much my ideal profile.

Love Fuji shafts. I would game these in a heart beat if I was 100% sure they were the right fit. They are a little pricey to be taking guesses with.

Glad to see the early success Hawk.

I wouldnt mind trying these out, after swinging the Aerotechs last week and then Greggdrews Recoils this weekend it just further solidifies my love for graphite

Love Fuji shafts. I would game these in a heart beat if I was 100% sure they were the right fit. They are a little pricey to be taking guesses with.

You are welcome to try mine out next time, but probably a poor match in weight and flex for you at 100g and stiff. They do have heavier and stiffer versions though.

Glad to see the early success Hawk.

I wouldnt mind trying these out, after swinging the Aerotechs last week and then Greggdrews Recoils this weekend it just further solidifies my love for graphite

Haven't hit the Aerotech, but liked these much more than the Recoils.

You are welcome to try mine out next time, but probably a poor match in weight and flex for you at 100g and stiff. They do have heavier and stiffer versions though.
Sweet! Damn right I will!

Somewhat surprised how high I'm hitting the ball with this combo. Not unexpectedly long or anything, just typical distances for me. The height though - as long as I don't put the old hook swing on it, I'm pretty blown away. Reminds me of the VS Proto I had in the VRS 8 iron before the reshaft.

I like the sounds of this, I still really want to hit these.

Somewhat surprised how high I'm hitting the ball with this combo. Not unexpectedly long or anything, just typical distances for me. The height though - as long as I don't put the old hook swing on it, I'm pretty blown away. Reminds me of the VS Proto I had in the VRS 8 iron before the reshaft.

Welcome to the moonball club!

Back