Why are golf bags so expensive?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I've just been looking at some bags recently and starting wondering why they cost so much. I mean some of the staff bags which are leather and embroidered logos,etc I can understand, but a normal bags $140-$250? Why? Whats so special about bags that makes them cost so much?

Whats a good, reasonably priced golf bag?

Stand or cart? If the former, I like the Izzo Golf King Stand Bag. There's a blue/white/gray version listed on Amazon for $102.74 + shipping. One left in stock.

I think it is because they are reasonably durable and should last for several seasons. Any kind of quality bagging will be expensive (backpack, briefcases, luggage, etc).

Believe it or not there is a lot of technology in golf bags.

You might want to try and define what's considered reasonable to you. I personally think that $140 for a golf bag is very reasonable.

I agree there's a lot in a quality bag and I think $150 or so is more than reasonable for how long it'll last you

While I do not like spending a lot of $$ on golf bags, I have had bags that were cheap, and the good bags that were not cheap ended up being worth the money. Quality costs money. Especially with respect to luggage.
There are some great deals on Amazon and other on line retailers, they are a little tough to find.
$140 for a good stand bag, $200 for a cart bag, seem to be good prices. One can always find stuff cheaper, tho.

I never thought $200 or so was much for a bag that should last several seasons. One of the least expensive items we use to play. $45 a dozen for balls is all that bothers me, and I've learned you can find them cheaper by just waiting. Same with bags. Just buy last years version(s) at a better price.

I think some bags cost way too much for what they are. But there are always deals to be had.

They have the world 'golf' in them. Hehehe.

Lol Thanks Hawk. I guess if you look at it that way...that its going to last for a while then I guess it makes sense. Its just a bag however, I think I paid $60 for my affinity bag from Dicks about 10 years ago. Its served me well but its time for something new. When I looked at prices I couldn't believe they were that much. Then again I haven't even looked in years.

My Ogio has lasted me almost 4-5 seasons, and paid about 160.00 at the time and honestly could last me another two worth every penny.

Maxpediton is pricey for all sorts of bags and cases, but i have some of their bags that have lasted years and i have abused the heck of out them and you get what you pay for.

Go to your local used sporting goods store. I did and they had plenty of brand new bags for below 50% of the original price. I paid $65 for an Adam's cart bag.

This is one golf expense I don't mind so much (along with shoes). As others have mentioned, for the cost you can get a bunch of use from it. I think I paid almost $200 for my current bag (a Titleist premium stand bag) and it's been going strong for 10 years now. For $20 a year, that seems pretty reasonable. I don't play as much as most of you so my results might not be typical, but if I'm in need of another bag, I won't hesitate to spend more and get a good one.

The last two bags I've purchased, one cart (Datrek Raptor) and my stand bag (Callaway XTT Xtreme Stand bag) I got both for less than $150 combined. You can find some great deals on past years bags from all sorts of retailers.

But brand new I get the price tags, it's how many bells and whistles can you cram into something that you want to weight 4 lbs... Staff and cart bags a little heavier a little more room.

They have the world 'golf' in them. Hehehe.

Exactly. Ever wonder why "golf socks" cost $10 more than regular socks?

Exactly. Ever wonder why "golf socks" cost $10 more than regular socks?

I thought golf socks were supposed to improve my swing plane? :confused2:

I thought golf socks were supposed to improve my swing plane? :confused2:

If the logos match your shoes, shirt, and hat those socks will knock 2 strokes off your handicap.

#internetgolferapproved

I always wondered why Tiger wears all those swooshes!

I don't even want to think about how much I've spent on golf balls in the 6 years since I spent $120 on my golf bag.

As many have said, in the end it comes down to you get what you pay for....or you buy last years model which is just as good and save a sh1t ton of $$$$. And IMO they are as expensive as they are because the companies know we will pay for them so they continue to mark them up.

Yeah golf balls are the silent killer of my wallet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you get what you pay for.... I bought a year old Titleist staff bag on sale for about 185 bucks 7 yrs ago. It could probably be used until the zippers go - the thing is bulletproof. I don't use it all the time anymore since I bought a standbag but the stand isn't anywhere near as durable. Granted I ride 100% of the time.

As many have said, you definitely get what you pay for - not many people are buying a new golf bag every season - so they have to "get you" when you are looking for one.

Just buy one of last years - I am a huge fan of Ping and Ogio bags....

Got a taylormade bag last year and it is in great shape still! Got it online as last years model and saved tons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back