How To: The Poor Man's Guide to Reshafting Irons

Take it in for just the pull or have them install the new shaft too? Looks like pullers are $60-70 and the shop I'd take it to is $20ish for a shaft replacement. 3-4 shafts and I've paid for a puller.

Take it in for just the pull or have them install the new shaft too? Looks like pullers are $60-70 and the shop I'd take it to is $20ish for a shaft replacement. 3-4 shafts and I've paid for a puller.

Shafting isn't bad with graphite in a driver or FW. Pretty simple.

Yea, you'll have to figure that one out to see if you'll use it. Maybe they'll cut you a deal on just pulling it and letting you re-install.

Been there done that. Both times I didn't care about the pull, so figured whatever happened happened. Didn't expect the graphite I left in the hosel to turn to the hardest material known to man.

I saw a shop tech do a pull by hand once and I was just impressed and dumbfounded. The skill it takes, but then the worry factor of what if he messes up. He didn't seem like that was ever an option. It was pretty neat to see though.

Yea, you'll have to figure that one out to see if you'll use it. Maybe they'll cut you a deal on just pulling it and letting you re-install.
maybe I'll see if iceyshanks wants to go halvesies on a puller. I think between the 2 of us it would get used enough.

Gawd, I need a puller. My son and I do them by hand. It started out with two shafts that were 'meh' so it didn't matter. They both came out great so I've been doing it our way since.

1. It's amazing what a beer and some ingenuity will do for you.
  2. It is NOT a preferred method.
  3. I figure my time will come, but so far so good (unless Miller Time has failed to punch me yet for a bad adapter swap)
  4. I've done about 8 now using a vise, a small wrench, a heat gun and brute force

Awesome thread Hawks thanks. I've been wanting to get into club building for some time now in retirement. Not for profit but more as a hobby. I just need to get the proper equipment now is all.

How To: The Poor Man's Guide to Reshafting Irons

Boom three iron heads done

Edit all iron heads removed now on woods adapters

Last edited:
What do you need help with bud?

The old shafts had the brass swing weights in them and they won't fit in the recoils.

Leave them out

Put it then shaft

drill tip of iron shaft then insert swing weight

The old shafts had the brass swing weights in them and they won't fit in the recoils.

Leave them out

Put it then shaft

drill tip of iron shaft then insert swing weight

Do you have a swing weight scale? I can't imagine the weight will be the same as the old shafts.

Do not drill the inside of the shaft.

What shaft in and what shaft out.

What weight recoils. 125?

Also, are you altering length at all.

Here's the thing. Those weights are very light and probably just a fine tuning thing. Unless you new shafts are the same weight and length and balanced out the same you'll have adjust woth head weights or length to keep it the same.

You're putting in lighter shafts, which will decrease sw a little. A point for every 9g or something like that. Unless you are going longer you're going to lose some.

Without a swing weight scale you're basically guessing though, so I'd say either get one or forget it.

Adding 1/2 will add back 3. Figure you'll lose two or so with the different weight shafts.

Shoukd be fine dude. Nothing you'll notice.

Here's the thing. Those weights are very light and probably just a fine tuning thing. Unless you new shafts are the same weight and length and balanced out the same you'll have adjust woth head weights or length to keep it the same.

You're putting in lighter shafts, which will decrease sw a little. A point for every 9g or something like that. Unless you are going longer you're going to lose some.

Without a swing weight scale you're basically guessing though, so I'd say either get one or forget it.

Thanks Hawk, you put me at ease and I will leave them out and assemble, guess I will get a SW scale later on and see what aspires from there.

I think you'll be fine.

How'd things turn out dude? Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Back