Official 2014 World Cup Thread (Spoilers)

I know that. I'm actually super excited to see the country actually being excited for this. 2010 it was one of those ho hum, "Yay we won. How's LeBron doing?" kinda things. Now it's all anyone talks about. I was at a wedding and this family who were behind me and they were reacting to the Germany-Ghana game real time with scoring and talking about the points and different scenarios. It was amazing as I thought my soccer crazed family was the only one that cared.

I REALLY hope this translates into the MLS. Especially for cities that have MLS teams. It's weird for a city like Atlanta. Because while this place is buzzing and excited, who are people going to root for when it's over? DC United? They might be the closet Southeast team there. Hopefully, teams like Philly Union, Chicago Fire, and FC Dallas gain fans because of this World Cup and attendance goes up. Those markets could benefit, especially sense the only sport that is "in season" is baseball and we all know what direction baseball is trending.

I know DC United greased every skid possible to be testifying in favor of a new soccer-specific stadium to be in the next couple of days. They're basically trying to say that United are having a lessened impact on their contributions to the national soccer picture because no one wants to play in RFK stadium (it is a dump, I'll admit).

I know Klinsmann believes the path to success for USMNT goes through Europe, but I'd like to think that, like Die Nationalmannschaft's relationship with Bundesliga and Spain's relationship with La Liga, the USMNT will develop its identity and chemistry with the fan base will be via MLS. Fans don't want to see their national team members at 9 am on a Saturday in some public house if the alternative is seeing them live in dedicated soccer stadiums and enjoying the atmosphere, IMO.

I know DC United greased every skid possible to be testifying in favor of a new soccer-specific stadium to be in the next couple of days. They're basically trying to say that United are having a lessened impact on their contributions to the national soccer picture because no one wants to play in RFK stadium (it is a dump, I'll admit).

I know Klinsmann believes the path to success for USMNT goes through Europe, but I'd like to think that, like Die Nationalmannschaft's relationship with Bundesliga and Spain's relationship with La Liga, the USMNT will develop its identity and chemistry with the fan base will be via MLS. Fans don't want to see their national team members at 9 am on a Saturday in some public house if the alternative is seeing them live in dedicated soccer stadiums and enjoying the atmosphere, IMO.
Eh. Going against the point. But, I personally still wish I could wake up at 8 on a Saturday and watch Dempsey or Donovan in England.

To even think the main reason why football isn't as big over here as it is in the rest of the world is because spectators don't like the timing system is frankly, ridiculous. It's a cultural thing. It's exactly the same reason why, although it's gaining popularity, American Football is a minority sport in the UK. Most people back home will tell you they hate the sport because it's too stop start.
Of course the ratings will go back down after the US get knocked out, but somewhere out there are a tonne of kids that are watching this, getting the bug and getting inspired to play the game. That's how the game will grow over here, not by changing one of the fundamental rules of football that says the referee controls the game.

I think the best way to grow the game of soccer in the US is too continue pushing kids into soccer rather than football. Too many parents worried (with reason) about kids getting hurt and looking for a "safer" alternative. I would imagine that the NFL concussion case has done more for the popularity of soccer than any stop watch.

I'm out ​drops mic

Suarez banned for 9 internationals. Good riddance you piece of trash.

The fact that the Uruguay federation is crying about it is even more funny. Get real dude this is the third time he's been caught.

The fact that the Uruguay federation is crying about it is even more funny. Get real dude this is the third time he's been caught.

What a piece of crap. I mean seriously, who bites? My kids dont even do that.

Dude is a complete head case something has to be seriously wrong with him to keep behaving like this. Good for FIFA haha finally.

Having seen the replay Ohh about 20 times how about his teammate trying to cover up the bite marker after the guy showed it to the ref.

To me, the bite wasn't even the worst part. It was the show he put on after acting like he was elbowed in the face.

Suarez is a POS.

Official 2014 World Cup Thread (Spoilers)

I think the best way to grow the game of soccer in the US is too continue pushing kids into soccer rather than football. Too many parents worried (with reason) about kids getting hurt and looking for a "safer" alternative. I would imagine that the NFL concussion case has done more for the popularity of soccer than any stop watch.

I'm out ​drops mic

Soccer also has a lot of concussions (especially of the micro variety) ... those headers are not safe, especially for young children. Look it up. What makes it worse is that people see it as a safe alternative from football.

*drops mic* :wink:

Soccer also has a lot of concussions (especially of the micro variety) ... those headers are not safe, especially for young children. Look it up. What makes it worse is that people see it as a safe alternative from football.

*drops mic* :wink:

Class action lawsuit FIFA then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, in all seriousness they need to not teach or promote heading in youth soccer. Ban it completely from the youth game. Let them grow and mature and then make that decision (which can be life altering) when they are adults. You can never make any sport completely safe, and I am a huge proponent of childhood sports ... but I don't need my kid growing up like Suarez because his noggin got bonked one too many times.

Well, in all seriousness they need to not teach or promote heading in youth soccer. Ban it completely from the youth game. Let them grow and mature and then make that decision (which can be life altering) when they are adults. You can never make any sport completely safe, and I am a huge proponent of childhood sports ... but I don't need my kid growing up like Suarez because his noggin got bonked one too many times.

Maybe this explains all my problems.

In all seriousness I played soccer from 3 to 23 and I had 3 concussions from the frame alone and I'm no worse for the wear. Yet.

Not just banned from internationals either. It's a 4 month ban from football. That means he can't play or even train with Liverpool until the ban ends.

Not just banned from internationals either. It's a 4 month ban from football. That means he can't play or even train with Liverpool until the ban ends.

4 months isn't long enough. Just my thought though.

Yep he misses Liverpools first 9 league games and 3 Champions League games.

Yep he misses Liverpools first 9 league games and 3 Champions League games.

I hope he gets cleated in the face. The bite was awful, the flop after he bit was what sent me over the edge.

Pretty impressive for a game that kicked off at Noon Eastern on a Thursday.

Coulter has to be a satire persona. Has to be. For anyone to write that and be dead serious would be a shame, for them mostly.

Back