What is the longest club you play. E.G. Driver, 5 wood.

Essex.UK

Reaction score
Handicap
I played in the club competition Sunday and off the tee I never hit anything longer than my 5 wood (2009 Cleveland Launcher) which I can hit about 200-205 yards with good contact. I never hit in trouble all day. I shot my 4th best round ever ( 13 over) came 2nd out of 57 players and got cut back to 18.
i know my course is short but with the current clubs going so far do us high handicappers need to struggle with drivers and 3 woods?

Driver. If my driver isn't my longest club, I'm doing something wrong.

I've been doing the same thing - dropped the inconsistent driver for my 3w which a hit about the same (205ish).

Increased my FIR and has really helped my confidence going in to the 2nd shot. Figure I can work on the driver at the range without it dragging down a good round :banghead:

Driver here too. I'd think almost everyone will say the same.

Agreed. Either an improper fit or just something really wrong with the swing, or both.

Driver

I always let the big dog eat.

Driver, granted I play plenty of tee shots where it stays in the bag. Major problem if driver isn't your answer.

I've gone through a spell or two where my driver was off enough to where I would hit 5i off the tee no matter what. My 5 is about as long as anything else I hit (never have found a 3w I could hit) and rarely gets me in any trouble off the tee. Most rounds I will hit driver at least 3-4 times, more if it's a long open course (Kinderlou comes to mind) but not hit anything else between that and 5 iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi what I meant was not which club you hit the furthest but what is the lowest lofted club you can rely on. I hit my driver further than my 5 wood but it is likely to be in a field where as my 5 wood mostly ends in the fairway

I hit driver on just about every par 4 and 5. If I absolutely have to hit fairway then I would drop down to a 4 or 5i, but I can miss with those occasion as well.

I use the driver, it is rare that I put it into trouble.

Hi what I meant was not which club you hit the furthest but what is the lowest lofted club you can rely on. I hit my driver further than my 5 wood but it is likely to be in a field where as my 5 wood mostly ends in the fairway

My putter has 3° of loft. Does that count? Hehe.

I played in the club competition Sunday and off the tee I never hit anything longer than my 5 wood (2009 Cleveland Launcher) which I can hit about 200-205 yards with good contact. I never hit in trouble all day. I shot my 4th best round ever ( 13 over) came 2nd out of 57 players and got cut back to 18.
i know my course is short but with the current clubs going so far do us high handicappers need to struggle with drivers and 3 woods?

Short as in like 5500 yards?

The club I hit longest in my eyes is my amp cell 4 wood. I hit driver farther but I itching I get my max distance out of the wood

Driver, but my 3 wood isn't too far back of this on a good shot.

I agree. Today's drivers are very easy to hit. If you can't hit a driver, get with a PGA Teacher Pro asap.

Go with a higher loft driver (12° or higher).

My longest club is the driver, but I have had a few shots with my 3 wood that are almost as long.

Driver for me; although I can poke my 3 wood out there too.

My longest club is the driver, but I have had a few shots with my 3 wood that are almost as long.
I noticed this the other day in my round as well. I'm probably in the minority, but I tend to hit my driver straighter than my 3 wood, so I'll continue to use driver.

Driver is my longest by 25-35 yards if you can't hit it i would get a lesson to get it working correct now i have played a course or two where i only need to hit driver a couple times around

I am longer off of the tee than just about everyone that I play with so I can sacrifice distance for accuracy and still be longer than most. I usually only hit my driver 4 times on my home course and the rest of the time I usually hit my 18 degree utility iron. I hit it about 230 with a cut an as much as 270 with a draw. On most courses I dont need anything more than that. When I really need to cover some distance I can hit my driver anywhere from 285 to the occasional 300+ yarder but the big dog stays in the bag for the most part unless there is little to no trouble in its yardage range.

I like my 3 wood, I can rely on the distance much better than my driver. The driver will still get the ball further but if I'm shooting for 205 to 220 because of trouble somewhere in the fairway the 3 wood comes out because I can crush it and not land in hazards.

Back