The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

Also -- is it pretty much understood that the courses will play at around 6,500 yards? I want to make sure that I keep trying to play that yardage when possible.

My fine tuning is on my short game and committing the swing I've been working on to memory. Not making any changes, just continuing to focus on making the right move so that it is engrained in my unconscious. For putting and chipping, just working on distance control and reading greens. I think the green reading is there as I'm putting putts on line but coming up short more often than long.

Yeah, for me, it's trying to make the swing I have now as "automatic" for me as possible. Especially with less than full shots.

Also -- is it pretty much understood that the courses will play at around 6,500 yards? I want to make sure that I keep trying to play that yardage when possible.

Seen this bantered about a few times, but I think the consensus is/was that nothing is in stone and anything can happen. So, there it is....clear as mud :act-up:

JM

Seen this bantered about a few times, but I think the consensus is/was that nothing is in stone and anything can happen. So, there it is....clear as mud :act-up:

JM

We played back day 1 and up day 2. So it could be anything come time. Prepare away!

We played back day 1 and up day 2. So it could be anything come time. Prepare away!

I know JB had teased #THPMC tees at one point so maybe he has something up his sleeve.

I don't think anything has been stated one way or the other. If my understanding is correct from last year, the rounds played in the 6300-6500 range...but past performance is no indication of future gains.

I think it's safe to say it'll be around that yardage, but I am purely making that assumption from last year.

We played all Blue at Caledonia
We played blues on the 3's and 5's at TB on Saturday, and like Nate said, played all whites Sunday.

I think 6500 gives you good preparation, whether it is a little longer or shorter, I don't think it'll make a huge difference.

I think it's safe to say it'll be around that yardage, but I am purely making that assumption from last year.

We played blues on the 3's and 5's at TB on Saturday, and like Nate said, played all whites Sunday.

I think 6500 gives you good preparation, whether it is a little longer or shorter, I don't think it'll make a huge difference.

Are blues the back tees at caledonia or the "member" tees?

I just remember the blue ducks, I would imagine they are the member tees?

I just remember the blue ducks, I would imagine they are the member tees?

As I think about it, I think the back tees there are black. I definitely remember the ducks.

I'll have to look at that incredible review thread that some awesome THPer assembled.

I know JB had teased #THPMC tees at one point so maybe he has something up his sleeve.
Doesn't he always have something up his sleeve?

We played the 6100 yard tees at Caledonia last year, IIRC. That course is hard enough from those tees, playing that course from the tips to make it 6500 yards would be silly, IMO.

I don't understand why the yardage that you'll be playing at is a big deal, unless all you play is courses that are 6000 yards or less. You're going to have to use every club in your bag on both courses, yardage shouldn't be a big issue.

That's what I figured - just because my league course comes in at 6100 or so, I've been trying to play some longer courses in prep. If I practice at 6400-6500 and we end up playing in a shorter range, that's something I'm already used to.

As I think about it, I think the back tees there are black. I definitely remember the ducks.

I'll have to look at that incredible review thread that some awesome THPer assembled.

I've heard of him.

We played the 6100 yard tees at Caledonia last year, IIRC. That course is hard enough from those tees, playing that course from the tips to make it 6500 yards would be silly, IMO.

I don't understand why the yardage that you'll be playing at is a big deal, unless all you play is courses that are 6000 yards or less. You're going to have to use every club in your bag on both courses, yardage shouldn't be a big issue.

I try to play closer to 7,000 than 6,500 when I can. The two big differences are more drivers off the tee and longer approach shots on Par 3s.

Won't be a huge deal to play 6,500. 6,100 will actually be a lot different. Many more 5W off tee, I suspect with more focus on shot placement than distance.

I'll focus more on that during the practice rounds though.

I don't think it's a big deal, but I think people are talking about it as they prep for the yardages. You are right though, you will pretty much use every club in the bag at those courses.

I try to play closer to 7,000 than 6,500 when I can. The two big differences are more drivers off the tee and longer approach shots on Par 3s.

Won't be a huge deal to play 6,500. 6,100 will actually be a lot different. Many more 5W off tee, I suspect with more focus on shot placement than distance.

I'll focus more on that during the practice rounds though.

I played Caledonia from the Black tees when I was there a few months ago. If we end up playing up from there, I imagine I'll only use driver on a few holes.. Either way, it's a very playable distance and will offer a challenge as you have to be accurate off the tee.

I played Caledonia from the Black tees when I was there a few months ago. If we end up playing up from there, I imagine I'll only use driver on a few holes.. Either way, it's a very playable distance and will offer a challenge as you have to be accurate off the tee.

Yep. That's my memory of Caledonia as well. Not incredibly long from the back, but you better be in the right position off the tee.

Absolutely no bomb and gouge at Caledonia. It's the ultimate test of position golf, and it's a ton of fun.

One of my favourite things about the Cup is playing two totally different courses within hours of each other. Style of play must change quickly to be successful.

Absolutely no bomb and gouge at Caledonia. It's the ultimate test of position golf, and it's a ton of fun.

One of my favourite things about the Cup is playing two totally different courses within hours of each other. Style of play must change quickly to be successful.

You can pick some spots for B&G at caledonia, but you definitely want to play position golf. The times I've been in trouble there usually involved me hitting driver when I shouldn't have.

From the review thread, the blue tees play from just over 6,100. That will take some planning during the practice rounds. Should be fun!

You can pick some spots for B&G at caledonia, but you definitely want to play position golf. The times I've been in trouble there usually involved me hitting driver when I shouldn't have.

From the review thread, the blue tees play from just over 6,100. That will take some planning during the practice rounds. Should be fun!

Had to play some great target courses in Chicago this week. So much more planning needed when doing this and not just bomb and go.

JB and Morgan,

Will we know where we are playing at by the practice rounds so we can plan accordingly?

Had to play some great target courses in Chicago this week. So much more planning needed when doing this and not just bomb and go.

JB and Morgan,

Will we know where we are playing at by the practice rounds so we can plan accordingly?

hmm, now that you mention it there was posts about the format, the numerous points in the PM and the split field in the AM (off of #1 and #10) and I think its been assumed that it would be TB in the AM but not sure if I missed the official announcement or not.

hmm, now that you mention it there was posts about the format, the numerous points in the PM and the split field in the AM (off of #1 and #10) and I think its been assumed that it would be TB in the AM but not sure if I missed the official announcement or not.
That would be a freaking bombshell if we played caly in the morning and TB for alt shot in the afternoon.

I thought I remembered seeing that TB would be the morning course. I think that was the post(s) with the split-tee announcement.

I also thought caledonia was in the afternoon. Can't remember seeing a Sunday course announcement.

All of the above could be incorrect, though - except for the split tees.

Back