What is your average distance for putts?

On Friday I am going to keep track of first putt distance with my GIR. I'd bet I'm around 25' though and that just doesn't cut it for me when I'm looking to score.

I hit so few GIR its hard to say. Probably 1 per round inside 10', and the rest are probably 25' +.

I'm curious what is the average distance you have on most putts. When you hit a green in regulation how far are you from the hole. When you miss a green how close is your recovery shot?

Do you know? Do you practice putts from this average range?

I read of people working on 10' putts but I rarely see guys with 10' putts. It's always longer so I want to know what the average length is.
This type of thing is exactly why this thread: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?15605-Putts-Per-Round-Overrated-Number is so relevant. People with more GIR's are very likely to have more putts than people chipping on, not in regulation, everything else being equal. Someone who is super long off the tee and can get near a lot of greens with a tee shot and could use chipping to get on in regulation, would skew that opinion!

probably between 8-15' average

Going to guess about 20 feet. Probably about 15 on days where I am missing a lot of greens and scrambling.

Probably 15 to 20 feet maybe longer. I aim for the center of the green unless it's a right pin so that really raises that number a ton.

I guess around 30' for GIRs, can't imagine my average being better than that. Scrambling it is much closer, on bad scrambling days it is 10/12 feet and on good ones 3/6 feet.

no average for me. From everywhere and anywhere. But its the short putts that give me more fits than longer ones. Sounds crazy but unless i get lazy and dont give a better effort for reading the green I usually put well from further away. I guess there is less pressure to sink it and usually it results in getting very close or even sink it on ocassion. Its the ones inside 10 feet that I need to sink more of so those are the ones I practice more of.

Average GIR is probably 30-40 ft while scrambling can be anywhere from 2 to 15 feet.

Really depends on the course for me. One of the courses I play a lot is shorter with postage stamp greens, so if I hit a green I'm going to be closer than on a course with bigger greens. But I'd say maybe 20-30 feet on GIR, 5-10 feet scrambling? I've been working on my short game lately and that number is going down, but there's still a lot of work to do.

For GIR, my average is probably between 15-20 feet. Maybe longer. I've been thinking about trying to track that info (because I think it would help be better figure out scoring), but I don't know an efficient way to do it during a round.

For up and down attempts, my average is probably around 4-5 feet. I'm typically closer than that on routine chips/pitches (the goal is within two feet), but I inevitably have a couple 6-8 foot putts in a round after a bad pitch or after being in a bad spot.

ATL,
The additional stat for this would be "First Putt Distance". If you wanted to get more advanced, you'd have another line with approach distance and/or club used.

My friends like to hassle me when we play because, when I keep score, I only have room for my numbers. So, if I'm driving the cart, there are 2 scorecards on the steering wheel. haha.

ATL,
The additional stat for this would be "First Putt Distance". If you wanted to get more advanced, you'd have another line with approach distance and/or club used.

My friends like to hassle me when we play because, when I keep score, I only have room for my numbers. So, if I'm driving the cart, there are 2 scorecards on the steering wheel. haha.

I just need to figure out an efficient way to measure the first putt. I really only want to keep it for GIR holes to show how close my approach shots are. But, I think it will take too long to do during a round.

I just need to figure out an efficient way to measure the first putt. I really only want to keep it for GIR holes to show how close my approach shots are. But, I think it will take too long to do during a round.

Just pace it off real quick buddy.

Guy I used to play with in my saturday group used to carry one of the giant roll out tape measures.

I am not kidding.

Just pace it off real quick buddy.

I'll try that and see.

I'm also a little concerned about thinking of the numerical distance while I'm on the green. I think it could hurt my putting.

I try to just look at a putt and use my feel to judge the distance. I know some who will walk off putts and think "this is how hard I putt a 10' putt," etc., but that doesn't work well for me. I don't really want to know the number, I don't think.

Guy I used to play with in my saturday group used to carry one of the giant roll out tape measures.

I am not kidding.

I can understand why you "used" to play with them. That seems pretty annoying.

For my GIR, I would say the average is in the 10-15 ft range

I would say when I do get a GIR I am within 20 to 30ft. I convert almost zero percent of time from long distance as most amatures.

Where I am in terms of skill level is just to get on the green in as few strokes as possible. Once I can get a good consistency then I will work on getting as close as I can to the hole. This usually gives me quite a few putts that are over 20 feet.

I'll try that and see.

I'm also a little concerned about thinking of the numerical distance while I'm on the green. I think it could hurt my putting.

I try to just look at a putt and use my feel to judge the distance. I know some who will walk off putts and think "this is how hard I putt a 10' putt," etc., but that doesn't work well for me. I don't really want to know the number, I don't think.

Hit your putt and then walk to the hole/count as you're on the way.

With a GIR, id say I'm usually 15-25' on average. Greenside shots probably leave me 3-6' on avg. Those 10 footers are key when I screw up my chip or pitch or when I have that critical birdie chance I have to convert. I don't feel I get much out of practicing long putts unless its a new course and I'm testing green speed.

I have absolutely no idea. When I could play a bunch I loved keeping stats but this is one stat I've never even considered. Just takes too much to try and measure it out (accurately) and it isn't something I can just write down later from memory. There are variables that come into play that make it irrelevant to me. Green size and game plan are at the top of the list.

When it comes to practicing, I try to cover all distances. Some I practice as if they were par putts and I 'have' to make them. Others I practice as if they were birdie putts and getting within tap in range is acceptable. I am realistic in that the 10-15 foot putts get the least attention. I know I will be there once or twice maybe, but a birdie putt is typically going to longer and par putts typically shorter.

I honestly have no clue. GIR? What's that? Scrambling...I barely know what that is either. I know the distance of my first putt between the two isn't large enough--and in a bad way.

Man I miss golf.

Gotcha. My bad. I did think it was an odd statement. :angel:

I usually eyeball. On longer putts that I want to walk the line, or see from the other side, I pace it off and figure 3' per step.Over time, it'll all average out.

On my regular courses, I figure it all out after the round. So as not to be too concerned with how long the putt is while I'm putting.

On new courses, I have to remember to do it during the round..because I won't remember the holes, after the round is complete

Last edited:
For me it seems I've either got 20 feet or 3 feet. Those are the two putts I think seem to most frequently show their faces in my rounds.

Back