which club/s got tossed out in favor of your wedge/s? Left an open gap? or two?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Another thread got me wondering this so with out jacking that one here goes this one.
Last year I finally got a lob wedge. But of course (due to 14 clubs) something had to take the hit. I pulled out the 3iron. It left me with a gap between my 5w and 4i but was the least used club and if need be I will just swing the 5W easier. But the LW vs that 3i was the best move I ever made. Simply far more beneficial than that 3iron would ever be. At least for my game right now.

Many of you have had to make such decisions too in order to carry the extra wedge and some of you are wedge crazy gaming a couple or few and must have made a couple more sacrifices to other clubs and/or gaps.

What club/s took the hit? Were they hard choices? How many did you make? Are you always toying with it all? Perhaps you figured a way to satisfy all the gaps via different clubs you normally were not carrying before you added a wedge or two thus changing a lot of your bag. Or perhaps like me you just left the one gap be what it is.
Whats your story for wedging up.

When I switched to the AP1s I had to add a wedge or two to close the gaps at the bottom of the bag.
I have PW AW GW 56 60 and I've removed my 3 wood that I never used anyways.
Its kind of a moot point because my PW - GW might as well be called 10i, 11i, and 12i. I use them as irons, not as wedges.

I don't even bother with 3 or 4 irons ... I use a driver, 7w, and 2 hybrid ... The rest or irons ...

So longer range clubs are the highest risk to be getting removed ... I swear some holes once out of the tee box, I would be better off hitting just hitting a PW till I get on the green ...

I dropped my 3w a while ago as it was costing me a lot of shots (but only because I couldn't hit it obviously), dropping another wedge at the bottom end definitely helped with what I'm working on at the end (fixed swings, different lofts).
As I practice with the 3w, if it goes back, I'll leave the wedge and likely take out the 4i as I rarely hit it, would leave a gap 3h to 5i.

I'm a fan of choking down on the PW or aw to eliminate a club or two shorter if needed. Definitely need my 60* wedge though.

I only play 3 wedges so i did not drop any thing i just have learned to hit lots of shots with the wedges

I went the other direction. I dropped a wedge in order to carry a 3i and 5w. They go about the same distance, but with different flight paths. I use my 55 degree for everything 110 and in. Seems to work and today when I took the 60 out for a test, I had a hard time with it. Flopped and checked short too many times.

My 3 iron, or hybrid. I now carry a 5 wood and a 4 (22) hybo which opens up a wedge spot with out having a gap

I think we can consider pw, gw, sw as part of a regular set up nowadays. As clubs have become longer that gapwedge or in some cases may be called approach wedge has really just filled the gap created by default nowadays between the pw and sw. But its the shorter stuff inside like lw's where manay have sacrificed something else for and some have a couple of them they had to make a sacrifcie for.

It was a 3I for me. I have a D, 3W, 2H and 4I, then on down. My thinking has always been that I find myself in many more situations where I could use the extra wedge than situations where I need a longer iron or another hybrid. Plus, any yardage gap at 200+ is almost irrelevant to me. It is such a low percentage shot and come up very few times anyway, I'll just make due with what I have if and when it comes up. I don't expect or even need a perfect shot from that distance. I do however need and expect good results from the many times I'm inside of 100.

Two years ago I carried 4 wedges. I'm down to 3 and shooting lower scores.

So, to answer the OP - I've tossed a wedge so I could add a 5wood.

For my Morgan Cup bag I dropped a 2 iron and went with a 5 wood instead, I thought about going with another wedge to fill the bag gap instead but I'd rather have the long game options in my bag honestly, my 52 and 56 will be plenty versatile from a hundred yards and in.

1 big change this year for me.

I like to carry a set SW and a 54* traditional blade wedge.

For that, I gave up the 2H. Bag now goes from driver to the 3H.

Dropped a fairway wood I suppose. Carrying a 4w instead of 3/5. At that distance I'm hit and hope anyway, so no loss. Don't really find myself needing to nail down that 215 yard shot very often.

I took out my 4i and have never looked back. It created a little bit more of a gap between the 5i and my hybrid, but nothing that a little grip adjustment couldn't overcome. I now have a ton of wedges and prefer the tight gaping at the bottom of my bag versus many options at the top.

Dropped a fairway wood I suppose. Carrying a 4w instead of 3/5. At that distance I'm hit and hope anyway, so no loss. Don't really find myself needing to nail down that 215 yard shot very often.

I have often thought of a 4w. but then I'd just have an even larger gap from that to my 4iron. I guess if i did that I would do similar and drop the 3w,5w and add back in my 3hyd to the mix. Would work all the gaps better perhaps but then of course I'd have to hit that darn 3hy again which l already suffered tyhrough been ther done that and took it out lol. I would consider a 3iron but honestly I dont even know if my cobra amps make a 3iron. Though i gues it wouldnt have to be one to match my set anyway. Ahhh, too much brain storming, maybe i'll worryabout it in the next life when I'm a single digit capper :)

Why not a 4w/7w if you're struggling with the 3h?

I took out my 3 iron out to find a home for my lob wedge

I dropped a 3W and 2/3 hybrid this year in order to add two wedges to the bag.

I dropped my 5w and 3I 2years ago for a 4H and a LW. The 4h leaves me a little gap between 250-225, but I can always choke down on the 3w if I really need to. The LW is a must have around the greens in my opinion.

I pulled the 3 iron for the addition of my 58* wedge. That gives me pw-52-56-58. I know the norm is to be 4 degrees between wedges, but this setup works for me.

Tossed three wedges for one and added a 3/4W, if that makes sense. Used to run set PW, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64. Now I run set PW, GW, 56*, and 60*. The 60* is on it's way out unless I can convince myself otherwise. Learning how to use a 56* in different situations and distances has been a blessing.

Why not a 4w/7w if you're struggling with the 3h?

Well, technically i'm not srtuggling with it as i am simply no longer bagging it LOL

But i guess if one wants to and has the freedom to spend they can come up with a number of scenarios to fix gaps or make it work best for them with a little give abnd take here and there. I'm not really unhappy with my current setup. At least not enough to warrant buying a couple of clubs. A few more rounds worth of golf would be money better spent vs concerning myself with the rarely encountered void at that 3 iron spot. But it is fun or interesting to discuss the possible scenarios that any of you/us come up with. I liked your scenario with the 4w with no 3/5. Not one you often hear of but can make a lot of sense to ones bag.

I took out a 3W and 5W and replaced them with a 4W to accommodate an extra wedge. It's been a great change, and while I've thought about it I'm not sure I'll ever go back to the 3W/5W combo - I'm a little more consistent with the 4w, and the extra wedge has been nice.

Well, technically i'm not srtuggling with it as i am simply no longer bagging it LOL

But i guess if one wants to and has the freedom to spend they can come up with a number of scenarios to fix gaps or make it work best for them with a little give abnd take here and there. I'm not really unhappy with my current setup. At least not enough to warrant buying a couple of clubs. A few more rounds worth of golf would be money better spent vs concerning myself with the rarely encountered void at that 3 iron spot. But it is fun or interesting to discuss the possible scenarios that any of you/us come up with. I liked your scenario with the 4w with no 3/5. Not one you often hear of but can make a lot of sense to ones bag.

I hear you on the spending. It is a costly issue to a small problem for sure. If I was able to really knock down GIR's from 175-230 yards I'd be all about fine tuning that end of my bag, but really I am just looking for a couple clubs to get me in the ball park that I can hit with some reasonable consistency.

Back