Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

So it worked! That #Zoocrew really knows what they are doing. Let's hope that continues on the course.

So far so good... Played Valhalla yesterday and hit 10 FIR, this is an unreal number for me. I know that the SLDR is getting a lot of play, but the Big Bertha deserves to be in the conversation as the driver release of the year...

Dax

I have made the switch to the Big Bertha from the Alpha. What I found in the lateral forgiveness of this one is one of the best I have hit in a while and while I loved the Alpha, and all of its glorious settings, the Bertha just fits my game better right now.

Tried out about 13 drivers yesterday and in the end, the Bertha came out on top for me. Goes in the bag for the next round.

I have made the switch to the Big Bertha from the Alpha. What I found in the lateral forgiveness of this one is one of the best I have hit in a while and while I loved the Alpha, and all of its glorious settings, the Bertha just fits my game better right now.

Tried out about 13 drivers yesterday and in the end, the Bertha came out on top for me. Goes in the bag for the next round.

13 drivers lol that's sick. But goes to show how good of a driver the BB is. I've hit it a couple times in a simulator and maybe it's because I'm used to the SLDR, but the face feels so soft at impact. I don't know if it was a good or a bad thing, but it's all I could think about. I would love to hit one at a range soon and see how the ball flight is

I think that say a lot about the forgiveness in the Bertha cause I know how much you love the Alpha and have seen it in action first hand quite a bit.

I've honestly been amazed at the forgiveness side-to-side. I had a terrible ballstriking day on Monday - was basically heeling it all day - and my drives were getting out to where a decent would end up with any other driver I have played recently. I was hesitant at first due to the premium price, but in my opinion the driver is worth it.

I took my new Bertha out on a quick trip to the range to get dialed in. I started on an extreme, on the +2 N setting. I was hitting the ball dead straight but it was dropping out of the sky and dying. I moved it down to +1 (11.5*) and after some more shots I slid the weight to 1.5 on the draw side. Dead straight again. I hit 1 pull, and not a single ball went right.

Now here's the real kicker - when I was done I looked at the head and nearly every shot was either close to center, or on the toe side. I usually swing 90-95mph and I was getting 230 dead straight the whole time. What a difference over the Razr Fit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took my new Bertha out on a quick trip to the range to get dialed in. I started on an extreme, on the +2 N setting. I was hitting the ball dead straight but it was dropping out of the sky and dying. I moved it down to +1 (11.5*) and after some more shots I slid the weight to 1.5 on the draw side. Dead straight again. I hit 1 pull, and not a single ball went right.

Now here's the real kicker - when I was done I looked at the head and nearly every shot was either close to center, or on the toe side. I usually swing 90-95mph and I was getting 230 dead straight the whole time. What a difference over the Razr Fit!!

I think the crazy thing for me about the driver isn't necessarily the forgiveness, which is great, but how much better contact I'm making with it. Glad it's working out for you!

Had another solid round with Bertha yesterday. A couple of #BerthaLong drives, but overall consistency. It's a lot harder to hit a bad drive now.

I spent some time with the Bertha yesterday and absolutely loved it! Its definitely going in my bag but could someone tell me the difference between the regular and alpha? I know the alpha has the core which can be changed but is that it? Also I was launching the regular Bertha way too high, just curious what shafts people have tried in theirs and had better success with lower flight

I spent some time with the Bertha yesterday and absolutely loved it! Its definitely going in my bag but could someone tell me the difference between the regular and alpha? I know the alpha has the core which can be changed but is that it? Also I was launching the regular Bertha way too high, just curious what shafts people have tried in theirs and had better success with lower flight
The alpha has the changeable toe and heel weights along with the gravity core. Bertha just has the heel weight and does not come with the weight kit.
I have the bertha with ahina and usually the flight is a bit too low for my liking. Ill be putting in a tour green to tinker with

The alpha has the changeable toe and heel weights along with the gravity core. Bertha just has the heel weight and does not come with the weight kit.
I have the bertha with ahina and usually the flight is a bit too low for my liking. Ill be putting in a tour green to tinker with
Ah ok gotcha, thanks for clearing that up. Let me know how that shaft change goes for you. I think the Bertha is a must have for me now, really enjoyed it along with the 3w.

I've been following along with all the Bertha stories and I'm amazed on how well this driver fits the majority of the swings out there. I've been practicing more lately than playing, but once I dialed in the settings I am getting a nice penetrating ball flight that has plenty of roll. I just put in the Matrix White Tie last week and i'm seeing a lower ball flight with the distances still being there. Don't get me wrong the stock Fubuki is awesome, but the tinker in me had to see what the White Tie could do and I'm happy.

I will say I have not been this confident on the tee box in a long time. I know even with a mishit, distance will still be there and I can still score well.

The ONLY hard part of this Morgan Cup journey has been knowing that great clubs are coming, but that I can't have them yet. As soon as I was fitted for the Big Bertha, I have been excited about having one of my own with a properly fitted shaft. My Razr Fit Xtreme just feels so unforgiving in comparison.

The best thing about Big Bertha is, she doesn't like to send ya balls to the woods :thumb:

I really like mine so far. Now if only the golfer could be as good as this club is.

The ONLY hard part of this Morgan Cup journey has been knowing that great clubs are coming, but that I can't have them yet. As soon as I was fitted for the Big Bertha, I have been excited about having one of my own with a properly fitted shaft. My Razr Fit Xtreme just feels so unforgiving in comparison.

That's the change I made. It's completely night and day from a forgiveness standpoint. Maybe the RFX gets out there a little more on the absolute longest drives, but I would bet my average is a good 10 yards longer w the Bertha.

Took Bertha back out today, dusted her off, and hit her on the range a bit.

That sound. I love that sound.

Hit it really really well today, makes me realize that post MC there really will need to be a throwdown between it and the Bio. I honestly think Bertha right now has a better pairing for me and beyond that its longer. Such a solid driver.

Took Bertha back out today, dusted her off, and hit her on the range a bit.

That sound. I love that sound.

Hit it really really well today, makes me realize that post MC there really will need to be a throwdown between it and the Bio. I honestly think Bertha right now has a better pairing for me and beyond that its longer. Such a solid driver.

Oh yeah, that sound? So nice. So, so nice. That club just sounds good and feels good.

The one thing I'll say is that I was hoping for a bit more distance, but I wasn't seeing it. But that's OK - I'm sure I can tweak it some more, and I will GLADLY take tee shots right up the middle. Middle of the fairway is 100x better than 20 yards further and buried in the rough.

I almost went with the Matrix White Tie, but went with the Tour Blue instead.... Both great shafts, the stock shaft is great too....

I had a rough time with the BB early in my round today, missed the first 3 fairways I hit her on. My swing was total cr@p early but settled down and got the tempo going and hit some really nice drives after that, still missed more fairways than usual though. I attribute the early rough swing to having a super warm up session on the driving range, I told Ole Gray "I hate to stripe everything on the range because more often than not I then play crummy." It may have been a self fulfilling prophecy. :laughing:

I have dialed the 13.5* to -1* N and that seems to get me better yardage than playing it at 13.5*.

I've been following along with all the Bertha stories and I'm amazed on how well this driver fits the majority of the swings out there. I've been practicing more lately than playing, but once I dialed in the settings I am getting a nice penetrating ball flight that has plenty of roll. I just put in the Matrix White Tie last week and i'm seeing a lower ball flight with the distances still being there. Don't get me wrong the stock Fubuki is awesome, but the tinker in me had to see what the White Tie could do and I'm happy.

I will say I have not been this confident on the tee box in a long time. I know even with a mishit, distance will still be there and I can still score well.

Chalk me up as another Big Bertha convert!! In fact I'm kicking myself in the a** for waiting this long to try one. I've used a Titleist 905r for the last 6-7 seasons, and liked it and hit it pretty well. But this season I started seeing the 913's and the SLDR's and R1's and Covert's outdriving me every week. So I figured it was past time to try something new. I'd tried the R1 earlier this year and wasn't too enamored with it. This past Friday, I went to my home course and tried out the new 913. Again, not very impressed. I was tired out and was just gonna head home and the pro said "you didn't try the BB". Foolishly I said I'm not a big Callaway fan and that I wasn't interested in trying it. At this point the pro got up, went over to the club rack and picked up a BB. He brought it over, put it in my hands and said "Go try it, I think you'll be surprised." Man was he ever right. The first five balls outta the bucket were dead straight. Without any adjustments, I was just killing the ball. I was blown away by what I was seeing. I hit another 20 or so balls before I got too tired to swing. Took the club back into the clubhouse and said I'd be back the next day when I had a little more energy to swing it. Went back Saturday and again stripe after stripe with BB. Went back in after half a bucket and plunked down the money for it. I got the 10.5 with the regular Fubuki shaft. At this point I just THOUGHT I was happy with my purchase. I spent Sunday afternoon monkeying around with the adjustments, and finally ended up using the draw setting and leaving the loft at 10.5. Moved the sliding weight halfway between middle and the heel. With my old 905 I always struggled with a fade and would slice if I hit it out of the middle of the club face. With this setting it didn't seem to matter where I caught it on the club face, it was just a slight fade with plenty of distance. Like I said, the real fun hadn't started yet. This afternoon I finally got to the course to hit some real golf balls. Right out of the gate, first hole, was the longest drive I've hit this year, dead center of the fairway. Those results continued the rest of the front nine and got better and better. 3 birds and no bogeys for a 33. I was hitting 1 or 2 clubs less into every green. I can safely say the BB was 10 to 20 yards longer than my old 905. Off center hits were still ending up in the fairway with alotta distance. The feel was fantastic, the sound off the club face was beautiful. The look of the club is great. The shaft felt very soft. Very forgiving and long!! I can't say enough good things about this club. If anyone is considering trying a BB..... DO IT !!

I joined the club recently as well, moving from a Titleist 910 D2 9.5 with UST ProForce V2 76g S. But funny thing, I went for a trackman session recently and my SS lost around 5mph lately (last session was 5 years ago). So after several tests, I stuck with stock shaft, Fubuki R and 9°. I also tried several adjustements and ended with Neutral and +1. I moved the weight between 0 and 1 draw as I wanted this weight to be as far as possible from the face.

This technology, in addition to a ligther and softer shaft gave me much more straight ball flight with slight draw, which is I was looking for. The great thing is that I'm able to fade the ball when needed, thanks to the square face. As mentionned several times in this topice, tee box is fun again :)

The #17 in my club is a 483m (525 yds) par 5, which was hardly reachable in two, until now :) Yes, I forgot to say that I also added the 3 wood, same shaft and I have to feeling to rediscover this game...

I joined the club recently as well, moving from a Titleist 910 D2 9.5 with UST ProForce V2 76g S. But funny thing, I went for a trackman session recently and my SS lost around 5mph lately (last session was 5 years ago). So after several tests, I stuck with stock shaft, Fubuki R and 9°. I also tried several adjustements and ended with Neutral and +1. I moved the weight between 0 and 1 draw as I wanted this weight to be as far as possible from the face.

This technology, in addition to a ligther and softer shaft gave me much more straight ball flight with slight draw, which is I was looking for. The great thing is that I'm able to fade the ball when needed, thanks to the square face. As mentionned several times in this topice, tee box is fun again :)

The #17 in my club is a 483m (525 yds) par 5, which was hardly reachable in two, until now :) Yes, I forgot to say that I also added the 3 wood, same shaft and I have to feeling to rediscover this game...
Great thoughts. I want to pick up the Bertha and 3w as well. They were both giving me fantastic numbers.

Put this one back in play the last two days just to see how it would go.

Shouldn't have done that.

The post MC battle for the bag is going to be interesting.

Put this one back in play the last two days just to see how it would go.

Shouldn't have done that.

The post MC battle for the bag is going to be interesting.
Shouldn't have in a good way you mean? Sorry I'm on TT but you're playing the Bio right Jman? Just curious how they compare for you

Back