Best Fairway Woods of 2014

majBC

Reaction score
I am considering incorporating fairway woods back in my bag and would like your input.
What are your top five fairway wood lines of 2014 and why?
Thanks for your help.

Really the only one I hit worth a damn was the Bobby Jones Black. Knowing your preferences, I believe you'd find some success with it.

I'll chime in and say Bio Cell fairways, but tbh they are they only ones I've spent any real time with.

Really the only one I hit worth a damn was the Bobby Jones Black. Knowing your preferences, I believe you'd find some success with it.

Knew it wouldn't be long before that was mentioned.

Knew it wouldn't be long before that was mentioned.

Hopefully someone cool hits it soon and gives some feedback so others will be tempted to take the plunge. It's a great club for the player that struggles with fairway woods.

Hopefully someone cool hits it soon and gives some feedback so others will be tempted to take the plunge. It's a great club for the player that struggles with fairway woods.

I do struggle......

But I'm not cool.

Onto plan B I suppose.

It and the hybrids are the two clubs I long to hit the most out of any out there right now.

Bio Cell is solid all around, offers good forgiveness off center, W/S M3 is a sleeper out there, wants to go straight high and long, X2Hot is filthy long but not as forgiving as some for me. Basically, a LOT of solid fairway woods out there right now, go hit them if you can and see what sets up best for you.

Not only are there some great FW put out this year, but it seems like the 2013 FW lines are also fantastic. There are deals aplenty on last years models if you can get your hands on them.

They're all pretty good. Aesthetics are the biggest difference.

majBC, you know my answer. Cleveland 588 all the way. Especially the 7 wood. Buy it now.

They're all pretty good. Aesthetics are the biggest difference.

Insert any club here.

No one is putting out "bad" equipment, everything fits someone the best.

Another vote for the 588 (it's the only 2014 fairway I've hit though).

I think the Big Bertha FWs are incredible. Long and forgiving. And the low profile head makes it easy to hit them off the deck.

I have hit the 588, X-Hot and X2-hot all were good for me. I actually prefer the X-Hot to the X2-Hot, but the 588 was probably the best I have hit. I just haven't hit very many of the fairway woods this year.

sabig27 I may just have to go with the 588 as the 7-wood was as easy to hit as a hybrid for me and the 14* was just as easy as the 7-wood. I'm considering using the same length shaft in both the 20.5* and the 14*, has anyone tried using the same shaft length in both fairway woods? and what were the results?

I think the Big Bertha FWs are incredible. Long and forgiving. And the low profile head makes it easy to hit them off the deck.

Agreed, they are extremely fun to hit and go quite a long ways. And that finish is amazing.

I tried out a number of newer fww this spring and the Bertha 3W stood out for me. I was coming from some vintage 1990s Adams Tight Lies and really preferred something low profile (but not as low as the TL) I'd use confidently off the deck. I'm not a long hitter and need a 3W on some long holes. So many of the newer offerings are really almost mini drivers with their deep faces which limits my confidence off the FW. The new Bertha split the differences perfectly IMO. Easy to hit from the tee and the deck and adjustable enough to fill gaps or tweak to take advantage of course/weather conditions. One issue, (if it even is a negative?) is that the club is so much hotter than I'm used to and I can miss both ways if I overswing it. Those misses can get me into more trouble than my one way miss TL did.

Insert any club here.

No one is putting out "bad" equipment, everything fits someone the best.

Totally true dude. 1000% agreed

As with all clubs everything is very subjective but I have found the Callaway X2 Hot's to be super easy and I play with a guy that has a new Adams Tight Lie and he loves it. Today's shallow faced woods are pretty easy to hit and I love my current X Hot 4 wood. Very easy to hit off a tight lie.

I have hit a ton of different fairways this past year. X2hot 3deep and 5deep gets my vote

Totally true dude. 1000% agreed

Yep, contrary to what some like to think, a bad personal experience with a club doesn't make it a bad club. Everything will be great for someone out there, its absolutely true.

I throw in my vote for the Bertha 3w. It was just a monster for me and I'll have one in my bag shortly

I like the SLDR but others were very good as well

Tight Lies Tour 14.5º has been absolute money for me. I probably use it more than driver. Just tee it up like a short iron and give it a ride. Off the deck there is nothing better in todays market.

I prefer the Covert 2.0 to anything I have ever hit. Long, straight and forgiving.

I prefer the Covert 2.0 to anything I have ever hit. Long, straight and forgiving.

I will second this, Covert 2.0 was a surprise bomber. It was very forgiving and launched very high for a 15 degree.

Back