Fearless or Fearful

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
When you're on the teebox with your driver are you fearless or fearful. I've seen quite a few of my friends step up there and whack away with no fear what so ever in their eyes. The fairway could be 15 yards wide and folks like DawgDaddy & Vman pull up their pants and nut it up. :bomb: My wife KellyBo is also one of the best drivers of the ball I have ever played with. Plenty long and more often than not in the fairways. I play my best golf from the turf with my irons but too often I have had to come out of the woods on my second shot because of my fear of missing it off the tee. I tend to guide the ball way too often instead of free wheeling it. Guiding the ball will do nothing but put ya in bad places plus rob you of solid contact with the big stick. Are ya scared of messing up or do ya fire away with confidence?

Lately I've been pretty confident on the tee. Around the greens however..............

In OC I fired away at everything with no concern at all and it was fun and successful.

Playing golf when your solid off the tee is fun and easier.

Depends on how the day's been going, I guess. Most days I'm hitting driver well enough that I'm not hitting a 3W significantly better, and if I'm missing I'd rather miss with the longer club.
Now, if I have any serious doubt in my mind about the driver, it's outta there and I drop to 3H instantly. Hitting Driver when even I don't think I can make the shot is not the path to contentment for me. Doesn't happen often, but there are some days I can't ignore the evidence.

It's about committing to the club. Even if I don't have my best swing that day, odds are I'll hit the driver because I know I can, and because 4i approaches get old quick. If I've missed 6 fws in a row, no way. I can't lie to myself that badly with a straight face.

Don't think of it as fear of messing up. Hit whatever you think will give the best results and focus on what you want to happen.

Swingin scared is a bad habit I fall into from time to time. When I get up there confident, good things happen. You would think we would learn right? :alien:

JM

Ya know what helps, honestly?

I think, "F****** go for it." For whatever reason I tend to square up the ball a bit better.

Traditionally? Fearful. My mind has been my own worst enemy off the tee.

This year has been a concentrated effort to get my mind right everywhere and to trust myself when on the tee. The swing is there, let it work.

I've struggled with trying to guide my driver and it ALWAYS hurts me off of the tee. When I just relax, breathe, and swing my swing without thought of a miss, the results tend to be a whole lot better.

Love my driver and I have a ton of confidence in it. I've worked hard on my driver swing in the past. So guess my answer would be Fearless.

Ping G25 driver = fearless.

I wouldn't necessarily term myself as confident with driver all of the time but I am committed. Once I choose to go with it, I'm all in. Sometimes all in the woods for my next shot too but so what? ;-)

I have been more fearless for the last few months with the SLDR in the bag my worst misses are usually just off the fairway

I wouldn't necessarily term myself as confident with driver all of the time but I am committed. Once I choose to go with it, I'm all in. Sometimes all in the woods for my next shot too but so what? ;-)

LOL! At least you pound that sucker some where... I think that's cooler than guiding the ball off the tee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have struggled recently off the tee. These last few range sessions though, things have been coming back around and I'm feeling a lot better about it.

If you sissy up and guide the ball, you're most likely to screw up anyways so you might as well whack the hell out it and enjoy the contact huh?

I just get up and hit it, don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things lol.

I'm mostly fearless. For me it depends what side the trouble is on. Sometimes if there is some trouble on the left I will get a little fearful even though a cut is my natural shot

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I've never in my recollections stood on a tee box and not approached it with reckless abandon. I'm not one who pulls out a fairway or hybrid when things aren't working well because I am confident the next one will be the one that makes the highlight reel.

You can't play scared. You have to be confident in your abilities on the tee box. If you play scared you're going to be tentative which leads to poor habits and in turn will lead to a bad result.

I'll say fearless but its much to my own detriment. I think I could benefit from a little more fear on the tee.

Most days fearless. In confident in my drives with about a 70% FW hit avg this year.

In fact I don't play "scared" anywhere.

It's just a game - it's just a $3 ball. Worse things will happen lol

Most days fearless. In confident in my drives with about a 70% FW hit avg this year.

In fact I don't play "scared" anywhere.

It's just a game - it's just a $3 ball. Worse things will happen lol

I think some folks with me being the preacher all to often try and protect against the big number on a certain hole or holes. We tighten up and steer the ball instead of making a good move through it.

I think some folks with me being the preacher all to often try and protect against the big number on a certain hole or holes. We tighten up and steer the ball instead of making a good move through it.

I've definitely been there. I've just learned to swing aggressive off the tees. I used to decelerate a lot the went threw a phase where I was too quick to accelerate and "jerked" my swing. Now I've honed In in a good tempo and just let it rip. Sometimes I miss, most often I'm good.

That being said I Wish I could find the 20 more yards that I had last year. I wasn't hitting as many fairways though

Fearless.

Driver is the most reliable club in my bag and generally as the fairways get tighter my drives get straighter.

Hey Ole Gray Im kinda fearless on the tee box. I only have two thoughts running through my mind as I tee off. One, is left shoulder under my chin on the takeaway and two, fire the right side thru the shot.
I let the ball end up where it may because im ok at getting out of trouble. Im in a tourney tomorrow with some people I do not know and you can betcha Im gonna be fearless tomorrow. Its really a snapshot of how I am on the course anyway

Back