Course Review for Musket Ridge in Myersville MD

T2GRN18

Reaction score
Handicap
MUSKET RIDGE MARYLAND’S FINEST GOLF COURSE (From the Website: WWW.MUSKETRIDGE.COM
Musket Ridge offers some of Maryland’s best rounds of golf nestled in the foothills of the Catoctin Mountains. The golf course layout, designed by renowned golf course architect Joe Lee, capitalizes on some of Maryland’s most beautiful panoramic views and provides a first-class experience for scratch golfers as well as high handicappers.

Marylands Most Scenic Golf

From the first hole's dramatic elevated tee shot, you'll get a taste of the majestic Maryland landscape that is highlighted by Joe Lee's signature layout. Undulating greens, strategically located visible hazards from elevated tee boxes and unique bunkering are trademarks of this superbly conditioned golf course. Musket Ridge's two nines, the Blue and the Ridge, move uphill and downhill – some holes ride high, others are benched into the slope, and a few meander through a meadow. There are four sets of tee boxes to choose from, and risk/reward shot options throughout the course.

Upon arriving to the facility, the scenery is quick to grab your attention. Nestled in on the western side of the Catoctin Mountains, this course has several views westerly to a rather open valley and mountains.

Practice facilities: B+
A grass driving range is available for warm up in close proximity to the first tee. With ample room to hit any club in the bag, several tightly mown greens are more than adequate for dialing in prior to going out for your round. Balls are part of the greens fees and are available on the range in the typical Pyramid forms. They are however TaylorMade Range balls, so distances my not truly reflect 100% distance accuracy and spin for well struck shots.
IMG_0689_zpsff8a705c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
A short game area is currently under construction, that will consist of a short, medium, and mid length bunker shots. It’s officially open, but looking it over I would say it’s still in progress.

A putting green is just to the left of the first tee. Several hole locations are available, with a good representation of speed and typical undulation of the greens out on the course.

The practice facility will earn an “A” as soon as the short game area is fully open and fully developed.

Layout: A
This is a beautiful place to play, and the layout presents itself really nicely. Several holes run in parallel, but while you’re playing them you really never feel them. With tall fescues, and considerable changes in elevations each hole truly feels independent. The first hole gives you a real feel for the elevation changes. From the tips it plays just over 400 yards, but it’s drastically down hill. I ball hit anything more than 250 yards is bound for the collection pond just in front of the green.
IMG_0692_zps55a6eeb4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Initially I felt like it was setting my up for target golf, but later in the round I realized the course is pretty much in front of you.
As far as being suited for all ranges of golfers, this course is a test for any and all of us. But it’s very fair. Landing areas off the tee are somewhat generous, with plenty of options to play a more conservative game if that’s you’re plan. Overall I really enjoy this course with the different elevations, the need for accuracy off the tee if you want to play bomb and gouge, and also the need for distance control into the greens. The greens are large, with some having multiple levels possessing some naturally big sweeping breaks, and plenty of subtle breaks to keep you honest with the flat stick.
IMG_0703_zps36cb4e40.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is the link to the scorecard:
http://www.musketridge.com/club/scr....asp?CLNK=1&GRP=17489&NS=GC&FID=72248&APP=201

Pace of Play: B
Our round took us just over 4 hours, we weren’t pushed or held up anywhere to speak of. Early in our round we did encounter a twosome that came up on us rather quickly, once we let them play through it was pretty much the pace we wanted to play. I didn’t rate this higher because we never once saw a marshal, so I’m sure during busier times it could get to be a little problematic. Also the course markings are in the fairway on sprinkler heads, which I did notice several were not marked or were way off in distances. Not sure if maintenance had done some work and neglected to correct the yardages. Pin markings of red, white and blue were used for Front, middle and Back respectively. However if a first timer was on the course it could prove to be a little deceiving based on the size of the greens. As a side not, initially my GPS watch had a hard time syncing up, not sure if it was the terrain, or just a glitch, but it’s worth noting for anybody headed out there. No GPS units in the cart. The 90 degree rule was in effect while we were playing.

Course Conditions: B-
The course is in pretty decent shape over all. The fairways, tee boxes are very well kept. Greens are showing some issues with a ton of pitch marks. It’s quite obvious that they hold several outings out there with the number of battle scars that were on the green.
The bunkers at Musket ridges are suspect. In the fairway bunkers there were some Pennsylvania red stone chunks mixed into the sand. Not every bunker had the same type of sand or the same amount of sand. Fairway bunkers were typically pretty thin with regards to sand, and anything near the green had plenty of fluffy sand. Having found each variation, they were certainly playable, just a little odd. The rough was plenty penalizing, over seeded and thick. Thankfully they kept it mowed fairly well so lost balls in the rough were not an issue. They also use very tall fescue in areas that you typically wouldn’t want to hit a golf ball anyway. I would venture to say if you hit it in there consider it lost, and keep going.

Amenities: A
The Pro Shop is fully stocked from equipment through ball markers and pitch fix tools. A small bar and place to grab something to eat is also located just outside the Pro shop, and serves just about anything you may want to eat either before a round or at the turn. I found it interesting that there was no way to contact the bar on the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] hole or 9[SUP]th[/SUP] tee ahead of making the turn. But the service there was pretty quick and very friendly. Rest Rooms with showers are available, but I didn’t see any signs of lockers for use or rent by the membership body. There was a drink cart out on the course while we were playing, pricing was reasonable, and did make an appearance about every 4 holes. There were a set of bathrooms on the course which were conveniently located where several holes from the front and back 9 come together. There were also plenty of stations to fill up water bottles along the way.

There is a team of PGA professionals on staff to provide lessons for a fairly reasonable rate for this area. Fittings are also available by contacting the pro shop and making those arrangements directly.
IMG_1634_zpsd07fcb46.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Price: B
$90.00 which included cart, and use of the practice facility. The price seems a little expensive but it’s the going rate for a course of this caliber in the DC metropolitan area unfortunately. They do offer Twilight pricing of 60 after 2, and super twilight of 35 after 5. I would say based on the amount of play we’ve seen out there. Middle of the long summer days, a twosome could easily get in 18 after 2, and possibly get in 18 after 5 if they kept the ball in front of them and played ready golf.

Overall A-
This is a course that I consider as a treat course, it’s very scenic, yet well maintained. The staff is very friendly, and quick to off assistance. For public courses in this area, it’s pretty refreshing to have both a quality golf course and a staff that matches. It offers plenty of challenge for golfers of every skill level. It’s fair, and rewarding for golf shots that are well struck.

Last edited:
******reserved for more course pictures********

Totally agree with everything you said here Kev. Just a beautiful course with, imo, a good mix of challenging holes with some that give you a chance to get a stroke or 2 back. I played Friday morning with Smalls, ( my son )and the course was in great shape. We played in about 3 hours, as it wasn't nearly as crowded as I thought it would be. The greens were soft though, and there was a lot of marks in the greens. Some I hit left really deep marks, and even I had some issues trying to totally fix them! I probably tried to fix 2 or 3 others per hole...

I would say that I worry that some of these courses out that way may be pricing themselves out a bit too much. There were quite a few tee times available here Friday morning, and I played Whiskey Creek ( which is my favorite course in MD ) Saturday and walked right on with my own tee time, and there were more available.

Great course and great write up Kev, I love that area out there and having those views is just relaxing.

That place looks like a fun one. Nice write-up Kevin.

JM

Great writeup Kevin. Those views are something else and Im glad to hear it didnt end up being $90 for target golf

Nice job, Kevin! Looks like a fun course to play.

Nice review Kevin. Looks like a fun track.

Nicely done Kevin. You know I love that course!

Great review Kevin, looks like a beautiful course.

Nice job Kevin, solid looking track!!

Fairways look pristine, looking forward to more photos.

Well done DW. I hope to be able to play there some day with you.

Great write up! The price is something that keeps me from playing there even though I live 20 minutes from it. There are other course, even closer to you that I find much more of a value. Still $90 buy course conditions are great. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Great write up! The price is something that keeps me from playing there even though I live 20 minutes from it. There are other course, even closer to you that I find much more of a value. Still $90 buy course conditions are great. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Bryan. Subscribe to their email newsletter. They often email out last minute specials.

Also being so close you might look into its Blue/Grey membership. Well with it is you play the course a handful times a year.

Great review, I love that setting and view on the range!

Nice review, I've played a few Joe Lee designs, he does a nice job.

Back