Staff member
Reaction score
2 Majors
3 PGA Tour wins
50+ victories

Is he a HOF if it were up to you?

Thanks to his worldwide wins, yes

if it was just what was done over here...no

Yes. I know he hasn't played a ton in the US, but looking at his record, I would say yes. Anyone who can win a Masters and US Open deserves to be in the HOF.

I'd give him the vote, I think he's worthy

Yes, I think that he belongs based on his 2 majors and his worldwide wins.

• Admin
Yes. I know he hasn't played a ton in the US, but looking at his record, I would say yes. Anyone who can win a Masters and US Open deserves to be in the HOF.

Not to get too sidetracked, is John Daly a HOF to you?

My vote would have to be yes

Monty got in, so I suppose AC should too.

Yup. I love some El Pato. I think the credentials are there.

He would get my vote in a heartbeat

The US Open I believe is what will eventially get him in. He consistantly plays well on the HARDEST tracks all over the world. If he dedicated himself to the PGA tour only I believe he would have won more over here. And god does he power for days.

Two more majors then Colin Montgomerie, having written that I don't think either are HOF worthy. I'm of the belief that HOF's are for immortals not the very good. Unfortunately, all professional sports HOF's have been diluted. When your culture accepts mediocrity then minor accomplishments take on the appearance of greatness.

I think he deserves it, He almost had 2 Masters to his name after succumbing to Scott last year, but I get that a lot of guys have "what ifs" or "close calls" in their resume.

All his shenanigans aside, yes.

Monty has an amazing record in Europe and the Ryder Cup but no majors and he is in.

Yes. IMO it should be a question of when and not if. 53 world wide wins, 2 majors, I'm not sure what else you have to do to get in the World Golf Hall of Fame. Does he belong in the PGA HoF, probably not, but the WGHoF he certainly belongs..

All his shenanigans aside, yes.

Monty has an amazing record in Europe and the Ryder Cup but no majors and he is in.

Thanks for responding. FWIW, I dont think either belong, but just personal opinion. Lets take a guy like Mike Weir or Trevor Immelman as the example. If they were to find lightening in a bottle for 3-4 days and win another major, I could not think they would belong. Am I crazy?

He is a deserving candidate when looking at his entire record. It is the WORLD Golf HOF so I think so. US record not quite where he would like it though I'm sure.

JM

Initial thought is that he is a HOFer since it's the World Golf Hall of Fame. 50+ wins is extremely impressive. Numbers are a little funny though. If you look at the wins from the PGA and Euro Tour. Even though most of his wins came on the Argentine Tour.

I said something yesterday about him and Daly being similar. Inside the ropes only of course.

I think based on his world wide victories, his two US majors, and his character, it makes him a solid member of the hall. If acted like an arse off the course and on I'd say no.

Only 2 weeks in WGR top 10, highest of 9. Two majors, close to more, so no doubt a great player but not a legend IMHO.

Thanks for responding. FWIW, I dont think either belong, but just personal opinion. Lets take a guy like Mike Weir or Trevor Immelman as the example. If they were to find lightening in a bottle for 3-4 days and win another major, I could not think they would belong. Am I crazy?

I have no idea what the criteria is for the HOF, but I look at Cabrera and see a guy with a ton of talent, who shows up in majors, and if he had played full time in the PGA Tour, would be a regular winner. I look at Cabrera and Weir/Immelman as being in a different class of player.

Initial thought is that he is a HOFer since it's the World Golf Hall of Fame. 50+ wins is extremely impressive. Numbers are a little funny though. If you look at the wins from the PGA and Euro Tour. Even though most of his wins came on the Argentine Tour.

This is where it gets interesting. If someone lets say wins 25 times on the Asian Tour, are they in the conversation? Clearly a great feat, however not competing against the best in the world. So while it is the WORLD HOF, it still the HOF, not the Hall of Really Good Players.

I just don't think so yet. 2 Majors, 1 PGA Tour win, 3 other European Tour wins.

Then again, I don't think some of the ones already in should be in.

Only 2 weeks in WGR top 10, highest of 9. Two majors, close to more, so no doubt a great player but not a legend IMHO.

But the Hall is full of people who aren't legends of the sport. Do you think Monty is a legend? Is Se Ri Pak a legend of the sport? Not to discredit the WGR, but unless your playing in the States on a regular basis its hard to get points on any other tour in the world, which is where he did most of his damage through out his career.

Back