Contest #1 - 2014 #TheGrandaddy - The Event Of A Lifetime

Correct but your handicap should reflect that if your playing and posting. It is the 10 best most recent...

depends on how much one plays, your best 10 of 20 scores could take into consideration rounds from the end of 2013 if one is not playing a ton

There are lots of things I think some would do differently.
Playing outside of their comfort zone to test their handicap number would be the number one recommended thing I have a feeling.
Its no secret that most that come to THP Events, shoot a bit higher than their number. I have never attributed that to someone being dishonest, but more about stepping out of the comfort zone. I challenged MCers to do just that, several months ago. And while most didn't take me up on it, those that did saw exactly what I was speaking of.

I'm interested by this statement. So do you mean people should step out of their 'comfort zone' while playing their competitive round? For instance, all year long, at my home course, I will try any shot. I'll try to bend a ball 35 yards on a punch shot. I'll hit the high flopper. I'll hit the 3 wood from 20 yards off the green downhill. I've even flipped a few irons upside down and swung them lefty. I try lots of shots throughout the year, because my motto is "it's not fun if you don't try." But during my city championship, my mindset is completely different. I often take the safest shot. I ask myself, "will the safest shot prevent the big number? does the 'go for it' shot have a high risk of failure and will it lead to a big number?" But, when it is all on the line, when I need to pick up a stroke, or when there are no other options, I have at least practiced the 'go for it' shot that I'm about to try and execute.

So for me, during competition, I'm in my comfort zone and that's where I play. But when the pressure is on to save a par or get that birdie, it's not that 'uncomfortable' to play the riskier shot because I have likely already tried it several times in my regular play throughout the year.

That turned into a bit of a ramble. Hope that makes sense.

~Rock

Awhile ago, I sent out questions to some dream team members asking what they done, what they wished they had done, biggest surprises, etc.
If selected, I will draw on their experiences and recommendations to prepare the best I can.
They all were incredibly helpful, and supporting. For that I thank them!

I want to do this, and do this the right way!
It will make victory that much sweeter!

I'm interested by this statement. So do you mean people should step out of their 'comfort zone' while playing their competitive round? For instance, all year long, at my home course, I will try any shot. I'll try to bend a ball 35 yards on a punch shot. I'll hit the high flopper. I'll hit the 3 wood from 20 yards off the green downhill. I've even flipped a few irons upside down and swung them lefty. I try lots of shots throughout the year, because my motto is "it's not fun if you don't try." But during my city championship, my mindset is completely different. I often take the safest shot. I ask myself, "will the safest shot prevent the big number? does the 'go for it' shot have a high risk of failure and will it lead to a big number?" But, when it is all on the line, when I need to pick up a stroke, or when there are no other options, I have at least practiced the 'go for it' shot that I'm about to try and execute.

So for me, during competition, I'm in my comfort zone and that's where I play. But when the pressure is on to save a par or get that birdie, it's not that 'uncomfortable' to play the riskier shot because I have likely already tried it several times in my regular play throughout the year.

That turned into a bit of a ramble. Hope that makes sense.

~Rock

He means play different courses under pressure. Get out and play with strangers. Play some matches. Don't play a bunch of solo rounds at your home course basically.

I'll expand on my previous answer of "putting." In the lead up to #TheKing I asked Harry what I should work on and his answer was that it always comes down to putting. So spend a few more hours on the practice green and try to get yourself out of your comfort zone (practice early on weekends when the putting green is full of people and try to keep your focus with 7 other balls zipping past you, practice with loud music that you normally don't listen to in your headphones), and perfect your pre shot routine. While I didn't hit my irons well down on FL my putting and touch right around the green saved many holes during my teams matches. I would highly recommended anyone who is lucky enough to be selected spend a considerable amount of time on those aspects of the game. Good luck!

My recollection is that many of the ZooCrew played better than their handicaps. That's really hard to do, so good for them. My impression was that many of the THPrs worked on their game and perhaps lowered their caps, then didn't play to that number. That's more normal. But it also reflects that THP doesn't normally play handicapped events...we are used to trying to get our game perfected by the time an event rolls around so we can take on better players heads up. In this one I think it pays not to lower your number but instead to peak at exactly the right time. I think knowing its a handicapped event should help the wise THPr this time around.

In the end it all comes down to hitting your shots one shot at a time. I am fortunate in that I have found the capability to turn focus on when preparing for and stepping over a shot, and then turning it off after it is over. That skill is something that I always had in other sports, but not in golf until I got here and played a few rounds with THPers. From what I read of last year's event, there was competitiveness but not "ruthless" competitiveness. It's not all fun and games, but neither is it life or death. Balance must be found.

Missing a shot happens. Letting it carry over into the next shot is the true mistake I believe.

One thing that I have found to be different about true match play (as opposed to match play while also keeping stroke score) is that you tend to be put in situations where a risky shot is needed when you would otherwise play it safe. For me, it's easy to back off and play it safe on a shot when I am concerned with a stroke total. But having to think around every shot in terms of what is the best plan to win (or not lose) a single hole can definitely be different than a normal stroke round. To me that's fun, like a game of chess.

I played a lot of straight-up matches to prep for the grandaddy - however the one thing I did not do is play in matches where I gave strokes.

Match play with pops is a completely different ballgame - especially mentally - and I will admit I was not prepared for it. If selected this year, I would be sure to play matches against friends while giving them the appropriate amount of strokes. This will help me be more prepared for situations that I encountered at the #grandaddy last year that I was simply not ready for.

depends on how much one plays, your best 10 of 20 scores could take into consideration rounds from the end of 2013 if one is not playing a ton

My assumption is that anyone picked for this event would be playing plenty of golf to get ready for it. Having scores from 2013 in your most recent for an event in December of 2014? Really?

Maybe that's an incorrect assumption, but I believe it's an assumption most if not all of us would have.

If it was an event scheduled like #theking was, then heck yes... I'd expect lots if not most of us would be playing off of 2013 numbers. I had two rounds in before theking and both were the week of the event so obviously had no effect on my handicap (possibly only the trend).

I played a lot of straight-up matches to prep for the grandaddy - however the one thing I did not do is play in matches where I gave strokes.

Match play with pops is a completely different ballgame - especially mentally - and I will admit I was not prepared for it. If selected this year, I would be sure to play matches against friends while giving them the appropriate amount of strokes. This will help me be more prepared for situations that I encountered at the #grandaddy last year that I was simply not ready for.

Yea and it's not even an issue of complaining about it. It is different mentally and people would be best served to get used to it.

Please see my quote in this thread. The atmosphere is one of friendly competition and fun. If you go in as the "ruthless competitor", you will have violated Rules 1-3, and it won't be appreciated. It's competition, but you're a guest. Callaway is paying for everything starting at dollar 1. As their guest, they'd have every right to send you home for taking things too seriously. But, I was there... I went through the event... What do I know, but a lot. If you can't play competitive golf with buddies for bragging rights, ribbing each other the whole way, without getting all serious, it might not be the best event to enter.
I'm not advocating anything different than what you are saying here. What I meant by my original comment was when you are over your ball to get in super focused competitor mode. Then back to having a good time on the course with great people. I'm not saying go out there and be a standoffish douche the whole time. I would think one could focus on the shot at hand while enjoying everything else around. Thats all I'm saying. Not discounting your experience at all

He means play different courses under pressure. Get out and play with strangers. Play some matches. Don't play a bunch of solo rounds at your home course basically.

Couldn't agree more. 12 months ago I was an 8 handicap and played ok away from my home course - but wasn't able to play as well as an 8 should. Over the last year, I cancelled my membership and play all over DFW (when not travelling to THP events). I'm now a mid 11 handicap but am able to play pretty damn close to that when stepping onto a new course.

Would I love to be sub 8? Certainly.....but it's more important that it travels.....especially in a handicapped format.

For me, there is quite a difference between playing recreationally and then playing in any type of sanctioned competitive golf event, other than a scramble. It's a different mindset completely and like anything else, the more I get exposed to it, the more I get used to it, and then start thriving in that atmosphere. Getting to play in my club league is a good step, but I play the course all the time and that goes a long way into staying in a comfort zone. So I've been looking at going further and getting involved in Philadelphia's GAP tournaments, and/or there's another Am tourney that seems flexible enough schedule wise for me. Playing different courses competitively against people I don't know is probably the best I can think to constantly test yourself and get in reps in that type of atmosphere.

So much this.
It takes a toll mentally when you are playing well and losing holes due to giving strokes.
I was all bent out of shape at The King because the higher caps were popping on an easy short par 3 (#10 I think) which made it real tough...but that was the wrong attitude. I should have just shut up and hit the ball as best as I can.

Yea and it's not even an issue of complaining about it. It is different mentally and people would be best served to get used to it.

EXACTLY! It can be deflating to birdie a hole and half it because you opponent made par for birdie. The first time I experienced it was in the heat of the battle and it was very deflating - mainly because I had not mentally prepared for that situation.

You need to go into battle aware of all possible outcomes and it is best to have at least simulated those outcomes so that the first time you experience a particular situation isn't when the bullets are real.

Also, when you are having "practice matches" with your friends - put something on the line. A lot of times when my friends and I have "friendly" matches, I end up taking them more seriously than my buddies.

Put something on the line: the post-round bar tab, dinner, the next round of golf. Something to create a competitive atmosphere on both ends.

EXACTLY! It can be deflating to birdie a hole and half it because you opponent made par for birdie. The first time I experienced it was in the heat of the battle and it was very deflating - mainly because I had not mentally prepared for that situation.

You need to go into battle aware of all possible outcomes and it is best to have at least simulated those outcomes so that the first time you experience a particular situation isn't when the bullets are real.

Yup! Can be deflating. I'll recommend a mindset as a lower handicap in cap events that has helped me in those types of situations...

Example: Played in the first round of my club's year-long bracket style "President's Cup" two weekends ago. It's an individual match play event with handicap. I was giving 13 strokes during that match. On the 5th hole the match was tied and I eagled the par 5 to tie the hole after he made a long birdie putt. I could have left that hole deflated saying... "What do I have to do to win a hole?!" or "Damn strokes!".

Instead I had the mindset of "I did what I had to do" on that hole to halve it and let's win the next hole.

Having a more positive mindset has certainly helped me in these such events.

Heck later on in that same match I jacked a ball out of bounds, made a double and still won the hole! Funny game.

Couldn't agree more. 12 months ago I was an 8 handicap and played ok away from my home course - but wasn't able to play as well as an 8 should. Over the last year, I cancelled my membership and play all over DFW (when not travelling to THP events). I'm now a mid 11 handicap but am able to play pretty damn close to that when stepping onto a new course.

Would I love to be sub 8? Certainly.....but it's more important that it travels.....especially in a handicapped format.

This to a T.

I have a genuine question for you Joe. And I am certainly not singling you out, but you were the last post in here from someone that played in this event. Do you think you played to your index? I have seen you play, I know you can definitely play the game, but out there on that course, do you think you played to the number? Or close to it? Im asking honestly.

Without a doubt. I have a membership, but I certainly play all over the area. Having a low handicap means absolutely nothing if it doesn't carry over to other courses.

This to a T.

I have a genuine question for you Joe. And I am certainly not singling you out, but you were the last post in here from someone that played in this event. Do you think you played to your index? I have seen you play, I know you can definitely play the game, but out there on that course, do you think you played to the number? Or close to it? Im asking honestly.

JB... In defense, I don't think the majority of amateur tournament golf is played to people's indexes. There's a reason why you post Tournament scores in a different fashion in the GHIN system.

I do believe (from my experience) it's a bit easier at much higher handicaps though. Little more room for error maybe?

JB... In defense, I don't think the majority of amateur tournament golf is played to people's indexes. There's a reason why you post Tournament scores in a different fashion in the GHIN system.
I think that's part of the point he's trying to make though. Get out and go against the grain so you aren't one of the amateurs not playing to your index. Break the mold so to speak of what many normally do.

I think that's part of the point he's trying to make though. Get out and go against the grain so you aren't one of the amateurs not playing to your index. Break the mold so to speak of what many normally do.

Agree, see my prior post about some recommendations. All for doing whatever someone can to help make that happen!!!!

Lots of great suggestions and discussion.

This to a T.

Nope. Especially in singles. A few reasons for that:

1) I only started tracking my unofficial handicap through OOB Golf last year when I was playing really well. The handicap did not account for many of the higher rounds that I had at the beginning of the year.

2) I took lessons too close to the event. I believe I started taking lessons in late september and ended in early november. I should have taken the lessons starting in July and finished in early september an then used the last few months to fine tune and clean up the swing. Instead, I was still working on cleaning things up leading right up to the event, and I brought a two-way miss to Carlsbad.

3) Short game. I spent a ton of time working on my full swing that I started to neglect my short game. I did get a birdie ball green so that I could work on my putting and that was helpful, but I neglected my pitching and chipping. This was a huge oversight on my part, especially since I have always been a big scrambler. I focused too much on the weaknesses of my game rather than spending time making sure my strengths were where they needed to be to carry me like they always do.

4) Overwork without proper conditioning. I hit a ton of balls leading up to the event. Then we hit a ton of balls at the ECPC. Then we played 27 holes of golf the following day. When I woke up the morning of singles, something was wrong with my left shoulder. It was stiff and weak. This really hurt me early on in singles (until GG drove around and I got 4 Advil from her). I learned after I got back from the trip that I had a slight sprain and tendinitis in my shoulder. This was caused by overuse (ie hitting a ton of balls in the last 2 weeks) without proper rest periods. I increased my golf activity without making sure I was taking care of my body. It was a big lesson learned for me and it took my until March of this year to finally get the pain completely gone from my shoulder.

5) Mental prep. As I posted before, I was simply unprepared when it came to giving up strokes in match play. I had never experienced it before and it hit me like a ton of bricks and I reacted poorly to it.

So I absolutely agree that I did not play to my index - and there were several reasons for that. I definitely had my moments where I played to or better than my index, but the consistency just wasnt there. The #grandaddy was a huge learning experience for me and I am a better golfer now because of it.

Great post JL. Awesome info.

4) Overwork without proper conditioning.

Good stuff dude. This right here is my main focus ATM. That much golf in one weekend is a grind. Gotta be in shape for something like that.

Just want to say, I really appreciate all of the insight that #DreamTeam is sharing with us on here. Definitely the chance of a lifetime and we're all lucky enough to be a part of this great place where we have the opportunity for an event like this and guys who are willing to share their past experiences to help #TeamTHP succeed against the #ZooCrew

Thanks guys.

Back