Contest #1 - 2014 #TheGrandaddy - The Event Of A Lifetime

Don't have too much experience with match play. Really enjoyed reading the different experiences that everyone's had with it and the tips that are being shared. Makes me want to turn my round this weekend into a match play competition.

It's a great format. Easily my favorite. The twists and turns within the match make it so exciting.

I loved match play with every hole earning a point in #TheKing. It keeps you focused and "in" every hole. Even if you're up there are still points that can help your overall team score and that helped me stay focused.

O'Carroll and I sure could've used some strokes against you at UPCC.
I'm not sure any amount of strokes would've slowed down the Panda that afternoon. I ain't F'n saying it again.

From a rather novice match play golfer, the last 2.5 pages of posts have all been incredible to read. I was blindsided in my first match play event, and committed many of the errors mentioned previously as things to avoid. Those mistakes have left a bad taste in my mouth, and I've been chomping at the bit to make amends.

I do not remember, how did you finish up record wise? I am not picking at you or talking sh!t, I am truly curious how your method worked out for you.

I love match play, because anything can happen and usually does. I do not agree with just playing the course and not the man or the team in this case. You can't just stick to a preset plan and hope to win (not saying you did) But lets say you get down 4 or 5 holes. do you stick to your plan or do you get aggressive and force the issue to try to get back in the match. Slow and steady isn't winning the race in match play. Each hole is in essence a new match and should be played as such. The one that wins the most holes or gets the ball in the hole first in the fewest strokes wins.

I agree one hole won't make or break you but 4 or 5 holes will lose you the ntahc more often than not.

I was 2 and 1. 2 wins, one loss. Split the four ball matches, won my singles match.

You may not have noticed, but you confirmed my point. Play the hole. Make a plan for each hole. I didn't say slow and steady. I didn't say make a plan for the "course". Play that specific hole with a plan in mind... Just what you're saying.

My experience in competitive golf, college athletics, and coaching gives me the knowledge that many items determine the play. 1 hole up, 5 holes up, 1 hole down, 4 down, etc. are factors in making a plan for the hole. Obviously, when I was 2-up, or 2-down, the way I planned to play the hole took that into account. I was never 4 or 5 down, so, I didn't have to adjust for that! :)

Valiente makes a point that even though matches may hold a certain score, it's still necessary for the individual to make a plan for the hole they're on and stick with it. Ha! Like when GregDan took a shot on the back-9 day two in the singles matches, he knew that since Sabella was 2 inches outside the pin and he had to hole from the fairway, how he planned for that last shot may not have been the plan as he teed-off, some things along the way may need a quick change!

I was 2 and 1. 2 wins, one loss. Split the four ball matches, won my singles match.

You may not have noticed, but you confirmed my point. Play the hole. Make a plan for each hole. I didn't say slow and steady. I didn't say make a plan for the "course". Play that specific hole with a plan in mind... Just what you're saying.

My experience in competitive golf, college athletics, and coaching gives me the knowledge that many items determine the play. 1 hole up, 5 holes up, 1 hole down, 4 down, etc. are factors in making a plan for the hole. Obviously, when I was 2-up, or 2-down, the way I planned to play the hole took that into account. I was never 4 or 5 down, so, I didn't have to adjust for that! :)

Valiente makes a point that even though matches may hold a certain score, it's still necessary for the individual to make a plan for the hole they're on and stick with it. Ha! Like when GregDan took a shot on the back-9 day two in the singles matches, he knew that since Sabella was 2 inches outside the pin and he had to hole from the fairway, how he planned for that last shot may not have been the plan as he teed-off, some things along the way may need a quick change!

You last sentence set of throughts goes
against a preset plan for the hole. Sebella is with a few inches, the goal should be to match his shot or better it. I know this wasn't the plan on the tee box.

In your earlier post you mentioned staying with hybrid when everyone hit driver. Their aggressive play if in play puts them in more of an attack situation then your conservative play.

If i have driver in had and my ippe my hits it into trouble, I may pull 3 wood to assure I am in the fairway. My plan as you say was driver but my opponents hiccup changed that plan. But you would stay with your plan and still give them an opening. As I see it.

But I will say that my theory doesn't for your game because of you record in the Grandaddy. There is always a converse side to every stance. Now if we can get more outcomes like yours, J. Fins will have to keep quiet.

Buck, I didn't take your post that way buddy.

My recollection is that many of the ZooCrew played better than their handicaps. That's really hard to do, so good for them. My impression was that many of the THPrs worked on their game and perhaps lowered their caps, then didn't play to that number. That's more normal. But it also reflects that THP doesn't normally play handicapped events...we are used to trying to get our game perfected by the time an event rolls around so we can take on better players heads up. In this one I think it pays not to lower your number but instead to peak at exactly the right time. I think knowing its a handicapped event should help the wise THPr this time around.

I don't think this is true AT ALL. Yes, there were a few good scores posted (on both sides) but as some have said, match play and how momentum works is entirely different. Did we play to our handicaps.....maybe, but other than a few moments, everyone played fairly close to what they should have.

it is a bomb and it is not, it was safe to assume that there would be some talk about the apex 2.0 (or however they want to call it) or other 2015 models by the end of the year, callaway has the best R&D department in the industry and they will not stop amazing us

Yeah. I know by the event it will be pretty well known what at least some of the 2015 stuff is.

But it's still exciting to even here it mentioned this early

Their 2014 lineup was a home run on every level, so to wonder what could be better in 2015 is pretty incredible to imagine.

Yeah. I know by the event it will be pretty well known what at least some of the 2015 stuff is.

But it's still exciting to even here it mentioned this early

Their 2014 lineup was a home run on every level, so to wonder what could be better in 2015 is pretty incredible to imagine.
Seem to recall the same being wondered about this time last year. 2013 was pretty strong with the X-Hot line. Then came 2014!

Love reading all of the talk about match play - it's by far my favorite format.

I'll amend my earlier post a bit - I do think that, at the start of the hole, worrying about your opponent is the wrong way to go, and you should focus on how you'd play the hole if you were out for a round and playing the course. But like Freddie said, there's room to adapt -if there's no chance for you to win the hole outside of the hero shot, then it's time to take it (who cares if you bogey or triple bogey a hole, it's still a loss if your opponent birdies). On the flip side, if you're opponent is in the woods, and is going to be a shot or two behind you going to the green, it might make sense to take a more conservative route. I'd say when I play, I'm 80% playing the course, 20% my opponent, if that makes any sense.

As a golfer who will occasionally have a hole get away from him, my favorite thing about the format is that you can take a blowup hole and truly put it behind you - it's not going to ruin a round. If you can get back on your horse, the win for the match is still there waiting for you to earn it. Likewise, you can eagle a hole, and that gets you the same result as if you bogeyed and your opponent doubled. You can't just sit back and relax. Just so much fun, in my opinion.

I didn't play to my index....I didn't bring home a bunch of points for the team.... I got crushed by Finley and Rhionna, and it all started with a mental mistake. I let my guard down. I was absolutely lost in California. When things started going bad, the more I pressed the worse it got. I felt bad for a very long time about how I represented THP, and myself personally. It was a wake up call. I don't feel sorry though, it was the best learning experience I've ever had. I remember getting back to the hotel after the team match play rounds, and being emotionally raw. I was fortunate to be able to do a FaceTime with my wife and son. I was a complete mess, tears were flowing from my eyes, and I felt like a failure. Thank god they were there to help me through it. Looking back at it....that was awesome. I never want to feel like that again, but to experience that level of raw emotion was as powerful as it get.

My Sunday singles match will stay with me for a very very long time. It was proof that I could dig deep and get it going. Being in a huge hole at the turn and taking it to 18 was amazing. And it was all by staying relaxed and focusing on one shot at a time. Hawk and I shared a round with Harry and JohnnyRod, those 3 men were absolutely just what the doctor ordered. Hawk was as inspirational as a teammate/captain could be. When it was over.....I felt drained but both mentally and emotionally.

One thing is certain..we were a team! The #dreamteam

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is the team aspect. Make sure to practice some of the team formats you've seen used in past THP/Callaway events. If pattern holds only one match out of three will be straight up mano v mano singles play. Try your hand at Fourball and Modified Pinehurst.

Driver vs hybrid comment was to make a point about a plan for the hole. Not EVERY hole. For instance, Tadashi, if a hole plays 375 and I'm averaging around 300 off the tee with my driver, I may want to just hit hybrid to get me to a point in the fairway to use a specific wedge. My favorite wedge. One I have ultimate confidence in and shoot darts with. Why hit to 75 yards and hit a partial shot if I'm not really good at that? That's the point of making a plan for a hole and "hitting hybrid when others are hitting driver". Go ahead and hit that driver. I'm gonna stick it tight on my second shot. You assume conservative, when it's the smart play that should win me the hole.

You are picking apart one point that was made. When Pete went OB off the tee on Day two, did I still hit driver if that was my plan, BEFORE he hit that shot??? I probably didn't. Again, take a point for what it says, we can pencil-whip examples all night how one shot in the fairway/off the tee/around the green may require a change.

You may have missed the point on Sabella- Dan had to hole out from 150+ to halve. He hit a shot he had to at that point. Wasn't what he thought he'd have to do off the tee.

You didn't see my points, I guess. Reading more into things than what was written and was the premise.

I'm always saying to my wife to take things at face value, don't read more into it... Same here too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love handicap match play. I went 3-0 last year for my club last year in this format. I thrive in match play anyways and do better against lower handicap golfers in that vs stroke play. I focus better hole to hole and try to force my opponent to make something special happen every hole. I've always been the higher handicap though and would probably be lost giving strokes.

I have a question for the 7 others who went last year: How much of a difference would having played both courses at the Hideaway, prior to the matches, made?

Honestly not much a difference. Playing with a member and forecaddy, I felt like I had all of the information I needed before every shot.

I have a question for the 7 others who went last year: How much of a difference would having played both courses at the Hideaway, prior to the matches, made?

For me, none at all. The GPS units helped me know what to expect on the course and the pros/members/fore-caddies that we played with helped us out more than any round prior could have for me. Truly an invaluable resource and, while this years participants may not (hopefully they do) get a similar experience to that, we took advantage of what we had. At some point, you just have to look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if you deserved the result you got on a shot/hole/round. Zero regrets/second guessings/negatives about the trip at all and I will be fighting for the next 6 spots after this contest to get back there and avenge the #DreamTeam.

welcome back dude.

The course itself wasn't really the issue. Like Joe said there was ample information available to aid in getting you around the course. Playing in the moment of the Grandaddy is a totally different thing. For me there is no way to replicate that.

Lot of good stuff in the last several pages.

I play quite a bit of match play and have a love/hate relationship with the format. It can be mentally taxing. I liked what Harry said about relaxing and just having fun, and I seem to recall him making that a rule last year. One thing I've learned is, in match play you have to be able to react to the situation at hand, and it will change, sometimes drastically, from hole to hole. Trying to ignore what your opponent is doing is a formula for failure, and, if you're into the match fully, almost impossible. If he hits a bad shot, you have two choices--play a safe shot, or go for the jugular. If he hits a great shot, you'll probably have to match or better it, or lose the hole. The final choice in either case will probably be heavily affected by where you stand in the match. Those kinds of choices come up all match long. The plan you started a hole with often needs to be changed mid hole. It can be great fun if you can keep your mind in the right place, or it can be mentally exhausting if not.

I like it Ken. Almost sort of frees you up as opposed to playing conservative.

JM

Getting a feel for the greens would have been a plus. But I don't think it was that much of a disadvantage to not play the course. Having the member and forecaddie with us really helped as far as understanding the course layout.

This is a great thread and very educational, as a slightly older golfer who cannot hit 300 yd. drives or a hybrid 250, every hole of every round is match play. Hit your best drive to a position (the only plan) and play in from there, I have to count on my short game and brain to beat people younger and better than myself.

We are going against a Team that has access to the best Equipment in the world and the best training facilities, there is no question they will be ready with the best and newest of everything fit to each person right down to the spikes on their shoes.
Just having a chance to compete with them would be the experience of a lifetime and to beat them..well that is what we Internet / Basement Dwelling / Mouse hand Golfers live for.

Great discussions going on in this thread today. I just was able to catch up after a day at the beach and pool.

Match play is definitely taxing. Its not like just heading out to play a stroke round of golf. However on the flip side I prefer match over stroke and find it fun and enjoyable. Brings an added nuiasance into the game.

Back