The Official 2013-2014 NBA Thread

Bill Russell is on line 2. He is laughing at 3 pete meaning best ever. :D

8-peats don't count. Everyone knows that.

So if all Lebron wants to do is win titles and thats all he wants to do, shouldnt he go to the best team in the league (Spurs) for dirt cheap?

To not believe that money isn't the biggest factor here is crazy. That will be the kicker. Get the most money and stay in Miami, or go to Cleveland and play on a better team (barely) but get the most possible from them in the process. This deal for Lebron has nothing to do with Championships. If it was, he wouldn't financially handcuff team with a max deal. This is about money. To not think it is seems shortsighted to me.

He must have meant the 3 pete by Robert Horry?

7x champ. Back to back in the 90's, 3 in a row with the Lakers, then 2 of 3 with Spurs. Wonder if he would go to Cleveland

He must have meant the 3 pete by Robert Horry?

I think the Horry three-peat is more impressive (maybe that's the wrong word) than any other one (assuming you're talking about 3 different team one and not the Laker one). I really think that Horry has one of the most fascinating careers in the NBA. Never missed the playoffs and was as clutch as almost anyone. Houston has a soft spot in their hearts for Robert Horry.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/mia...ile&rand=ref~{"ref":"http://t.co/NOI2QoyIix"}

If the letter is such an issue then go somewhere else. I dont blame Lebron for being pissed off about that letter.

Then why ask Cleveland to put together an offer? This was discussed earlier in the thread. If the letter is still an issue, there would be no reason for him and his team to request an offer be made.

Nothing more than a scapegoat should he go elsewhere for the fans to not hate him more and to move that hatred to the owner that felt snubbed.

Then why ask Cleveland to put together an offer? This was discussed earlier in the thread. If the letter is still an issue, there would be no reason for him and his team to request an offer be made.

Nothing more than a scapegoat should he go elsewhere for the fans to not hate him more and to move that hatred to the owner that felt snubbed.

I agree. I dont blame him for being pissed about the letter but if it really is such an issue go somewhere else.

So if all Lebron wants to do is win titles and thats all he wants to do, shouldnt he go to the best team in the league (Spurs) for dirt cheap?
I was always curious about something like that. If he wants a Max deal, the titles isn't the first thing on the list!

Touché. Should've been more specific. To be in the "best ever" conversation with the guys he is compared to, he needs to at least match Kobe and Jordan with a 3-peat.

I don't think 3-peat means you're best ever, obviously Russell is the man. But I think a lack of at least a 3-peat will always be used against LeBron and he knows it.

I agree. I dont blame him for being pissed about the letter but if it really is such an issue go somewhere else.

ESPN being ESPN

This. If he's getting over 50 million in endorsements, what could he possibly care about another 20+? Sign on for 5 mill on an absolutely stacked team and win relentlessly.

exactly, he tells someone to float the rumor that the letter is still an issue so when he spurns the Cavs it softens the blow

Exactly. But he's more interested in stroking his ego (which was the original point I was making).

This. If he's getting over 50 million in endorsements, what could he possibly care about another 20+? Sign on for 5 mill on an absolutely stacked team and win relentlessly.

and if he wants to do it for the next 10 years, go to OKC and roll everyone with Westbrook and Durant

Its two fold.
1. If he does that, he is ridiculed for needing too much talent to win (see Miami).
2. Ego plays a role in all superstars, it needs to. You want to be the man, and there the best out there is more of a cog.

I was always curious about something like that. If he wants a Max deal, the titles isn't the first thing on the list!

I think that is flawed logic, though. Look at perennial "team players" like Duncan. He got paid big time in his career (LeBron has never had a paycheck as high as Duncan's peak), but is still seen as a title at the top of the list guy. I think that you can still be about both money and titles. You can argue that it is wrong for LeBron to want talent around him without taking a pay cut. However, LeBron is in a unique situation since he has a player like Wade making more money in his situation. It is an argument that you can make either way, though.

Its two fold.
1. If he does that, he is ridiculed for needing too much talent to win (see Miami).
2. Ego plays a role in all superstars, it needs to. You want to be the man, and there the best out there is more of a cog.

Good points, OKC with Lebron would be the Miami situation on steroids. People would toss MJ and the Bulls teams in his face

Good points, OKC with Lebron would be the Miami situation on steroids. People would toss MJ and the Bulls teams in his face

Which always makes me laugh. Michael had a really good supporting cast. He played with HOFers, in their prime. Lebron got a washed up Shaq, an old Ray Allen, and a declining Wade.

Which always makes me laugh. Michael had a really good supporting cast. He played with HOFers, in their prime. Lebron got a washed up Shaq, an old Ray Allen, and a declining Wade.

Cmon. He hand picked his talent. People are quick to forget where Wade was when James got there. And Bosh was hand selected and in his prime and an all star.

The exagerations of the ability of the players surrounding James in Miami is outrageous and has gone on for 3 years. Those guys were extremely talented and hand selected by James himself.

Exactly! Basically every team ever in the NBA won a championship with 2+ superstars (HOF'ers). There are very, very few exceptions (94' Rockets, '04 Pistons, '11 Mavs recently). You can argue that Jordan "made" Pippen who he was as a player, but Pippen is still one of the best SF to play the game. When LeBron had competent talent on his team, he won titles. It's not LeBron's fault that he was stuck with piss poor management for the first 7 years of his career. The same management that has had 2 number 1 picks since he left (not counting Wiggins) and have still not made the playoffs in the weakest period for their conference in NBA history.

ESPN update:

10:32 a.m.: From ESPN's Josina Anderson, who is in Cleveland covering the possibility of LeBron returning, has this to say via her Twitter:
Cavs source to me this am on Broussard report that Gilbert letter, in part, still weighing/holding up LeBron : "No indication from them to us at this point either way." The impression I've received at this morning, is that the Cavs organization is still hanging in there with a positive spirit. Stay tuned #Cavs fans

Back