I have been pondering the BGE type or a Traeger. I am leaning towards the Traeger, a friend has both and prefers the Traeger.

I have been pondering the BGE type or a Traeger. I am leaning towards the Traeger, a friend has both and prefers the Traeger.

Traegers are solid dude. That is what started me on this hunt. In the end I wanted the versatility and the heat keeping ability that steered me towards the Kamado style.

Oh man...and I thought my Weber One-Touch was a cool thing compared to the neighbors gas grill...I want one these!

Traegers are solid dude. That is what started me on this hunt. In the end I wanted the versatility and the heat keeping ability that steered me towards the Kamado style.

Really all depends on the type of cooking you want. Both will cook anything just like my $30 weber, it holds heat for a few hours with one chimney of charcoal. My only hiccup with the Traeger is the pellets, just not a fan of those BUT my buddy is a serious smoker. He says it's worth it? Can't go wrong with either IMO. Also it's just my wife and I so is it really worth it? I say yes to bountiful mounds of smoked/cooked goodness...

I'm thinking a trip to the local grill store is in order after hearing all about these!

Really all depends on the type of cooking you want. Both will cook anything just like my $30 weber, it holds heat for a few hours with one chimney of charcoal. My only hiccup with the Traeger is the pellets, just not a fan of those BUT my buddy is a serious smoker. He says it's worth it? Can't go wrong with either IMO. Also it's just my wife and I so is it really worth it? I say yes to bountiful mounds of smoked/cooked goodness...

Depends really in my opinion. The beauty behind the ceramic is heat retention on low amounts of "fuel". High temps with no issues and low temps that hold with minimal care. I think (in my opinion anyway) that is why they have been so "sacred" amongst grill fans. Ceramic really does hold temps better than just about any source.

My brother has a BGE it is amazing holds a constant temp very well

Depends really in my opinion. The beauty behind the ceramic is heat retention on low amounts of "fuel". High temps with no issues and low temps that hold with minimal care. I think (in my opinion anyway) that is why they have been so "sacred" amongst grill fans. Ceramic really does hold temps better than just about any source.

It's a coin flip for sure. You buy one and I will buy the other to compare.

gydyba5e.jpg

Taking this off then going to grill chicken talk about versatile

Looking good Sposey. Straight on the grill rather than pizza stone huh?

Wow, that looks fantastic Shane!

Oh that looks goooooood.

God that looks good
I cant lie, it is effing good, just a touch of smoke and and chsrcoal to make it perfect, hell with my diet lol

Damn. I just got a new grill. I gotta find a way to break mine that isn't covered in a warranty. Because whatever Shane has going on with that pizza, I need that. Like soon too

Damn. I just got a new grill. I gotta find a way to break mine that isn't covered in a warranty. Because whatever Shane has going on with that pizza, I need that. Like soon too
Philly the BGE is the one investment that have made money on :)

8aqu8yqu.jpg

From pizza to chicken is easy as pie

Oh that looks goooooood.
James if you will ever get up here for some branson golf I will make you a pizza :)

Honest question for anyone that has experience w/pellet smokers. Can you get the good consistent blue smoke with them that you do with a ceramic and the lump wood charcoals? Have had some food off of a pellet grill my brother owns and though the smoke flavor was not overpowering it was a little resinous and bitter. Usually this only happens on a ceramic if the fire isn't right and you have a lot of white smoke.

Looking good Sposey. Straight on the grill rather than pizza stone huh?
I like putting it on the grate, I like a slightly crispy crust

I like putting it on the grate, I like a slightly crispy crust

It seems that is the big preference choice around the Kamado world. Get it up to over 750* and go straight on stone. Or somewhere in that 500-600 and go on grates. At least from the outside looking in anyway.

It seems that is the big preference choice around the Kamado world. Get it up to over 750* and go straight on stone. Or somewhere in that 500-600 and go on grates. At least from the outside looking in anyway.
I did this one at 400 degrees and it came out perfect.
And just to tease you even more I am going to do a brisket this weekend :)

I did this one at 400 degrees and it came out perfect.
And just to tease you even more I am going to do a brisket this weekend :)
Love it. I'm I'm a big fan of pizza done on coals with crazy high heat and cooking in like 3 minutes. Kamado does that so well.

Love it. I'm I'm a big fan of pizza done on coals with crazy high heat and cooking in like 3 minutes. Kamado does that so well.
That cooking pace matches your pace of play, uber fast :D
I will do another one on the stone with ultra high heat later in the week

Back