Mizuno Releasing New Everything, and all is quiet

Genuine question. Would a TaylorMade SLDR driver lose more value than a Mizuno JPX driver 6 months after release? Regardless of how many releases come out after the fact? Im asking honestly because I dont pay attention to dollar values and have to think that a Mizuno (fill in the blank) loses the value just as fast due to less demand.

Good point, Probably would be less based on the limited demand of Mizzy drivers.

I'm sticking with my theories.

Little attention to start.
Hipster attention is maxed out with things that are popular.

As for the releases, I'm all for them. For every company.

Mizuno runs 2 year cycles on their irons? I can swear there is a new MP iron line every year.

They don't replace their blade every year - they don't replace their MP 52,53, or 54 every year. Those run on a 2 yr cycle. Now I am not saying they don't have a LOT of irons in the stable, because they do. Actually I don't have a problem with how TMag handles their iron releases in the least.

Genuine question. Would a TaylorMade SLDR driver lose more value than a Mizuno JPX driver 6 months after release? Regardless of how many releases come out after the fact? Im asking honestly because I dont pay attention to dollar values and have to think that a Mizuno (fill in the blank) loses the value just as fast due to less demand.

I'd say no. The SLDR is holding its value really well, while I don't think anyone wants the JPX, so I think I agree with you here.

Irons are a whole other story. Mizuno irons hold ridiculous value while TM iron sets tend to devalue quickly. Then again, I think it's all dependent on the model. There are some TM iron sets that are still pricey even used. The R9's come to mind I believe.

I'd say no. The SLDR is holding its value really well, while I don't think anyone wants the JPX, so I think I agree with you here.

Irons are a whole other story. Mizuno irons hold ridiculous value while TM iron sets tend to devalue quickly. Then again, I think it's all dependent on the model. There are some TM iron sets that are still pricey even used. The R9's come to mind I believe.

Interesting. So I did a quick search on ebay and it appears that SpeedBlade irons, which some would say have been replaced by SLDR S irons already, still sell for more than Mizuno JPX EZ irons, although its very close and set dependent on closed auctions.

Although Tour Preferred irons are selling for less than the MP line of irons (in most cases).

So I guess my thought is that it is not as cut and dry as people make it out to be. That is the line always used that "I dont want the resale value to go way down 6 months after purchase" due to new releases". I truly believe it is more to do with human nature. People want new and shiny. Being able to say "I have the latest release" means something to certain golfers even if its just mentally.

The flipside is the companies that are "regular" as far as schedules are not stupid. What do they do? They make 8 lines and stagger 4 one year and 4 the next so they technically have the same amount or more types in line, just gives certain golfers the warm and fuzzy feeling that they do not have a replaced line.

Hope that makes sense from my point of view anyway.
And FWIW, I am all for new releases from everybody.

They don't replace their blade every year - they don't replace their MP 52,53, or 54 every year. Those run on a 2 yr cycle. Now I am not saying they don't have a LOT of irons in the stable, because they do. Actually I don't have a problem with how TMag handles their iron releases in the least.

Please don't get me wrong. I have no problem with how Mizuno releases clubs. I like options.

I truly believe it is more to do with human nature. People want new and shiny. Being able to say "I have the latest release" means something to certain golfers even if its just mentally.

I think this is more accurate than most of us want to admit. For me, I definitely want the latest and best technology, but I also think I'm just fickle and like looking at something different every now and then. For example, I was set to buy a new stand bag yesterday when my teacher told me he'd call Sun Mountain on my behalf to repair my old bag and I almost told him to forget it, because I just wanted a new bag. I finally set myself straight, but I was pretty much ok with spending coin on a new bag when it's very likely my old one will be fixed. It will be interesting for me as these new releases come out, as I really like many of the clubs in my bag now and have no idea how I'll start justifying getting newer models.

Same here Blu - I think for me it was more of the increased distance claims between TMag and Callaway that made me look elsewhere in my purchases. Obviously I still will hit their product, and if it works the best I will purchase it. Right now I am debating between an Xhot and Jetspeed fairway wood (the jetspeed is winning over everything else -which shocked me)

Mizuno is making claims about having larger sweet spots on irons. The JPX EZ specifically.

They are making the following claims:

83% larger sweet spot than TM rocketbladez
102% larger sweet spot than TM speedbladez
40% larger sweet spot than Adams Super S
82% larger sweet spot than Titleist AP1 714
52% larger sweet spot than callaway x-hot
55% larger sweet spot than Ping G25

From their site on how they calculate sweet spots:
"Mizuno defines Sweet Spot area by treating Toe-Heel MOI and Up-Down MOI as the major and minor axis of any ellipse. The Sweet Spot area is calculated by the equation for the area of an ellipse"

Now, I have no idea what this really means. Anybody have a clue? :D

I'm not a Mizuno hater by any means, but there's no way those numbers are accurate is there?
Geez I feel like I can't miss with my AP1s... 82% larger sweetspot is hard to believe.

I'm not a Mizuno hater by any means, but there's no way those numbers are accurate is there?
Geez I feel like I can't miss with my AP1s... 82% larger sweetspot is hard to believe.

In my testing, no. You have to remember though, its all about how things are being measured, you can do a LOT of things with numbers.

In my testing, no. You have to remember though, its all about how things are being measured, you can do a LOT of things with numbers.

50% of the time stats are made up on the spot 96% of the time.

Interesting. So I did a quick search on ebay and it appears that SpeedBlade irons, which some would say have been replaced by SLDR S irons already, still sell for more than Mizuno JPX EZ irons, although its very close and set dependent on closed auctions.

Although Tour Preferred irons are selling for less than the MP line of irons (in most cases).

So I guess my thought is that it is not as cut and dry as people make it out to be. That is the line always used that "I dont want the resale value to go way down 6 months after purchase" due to new releases". I truly believe it is more to do with human nature. People want new and shiny. Being able to say "I have the latest release" means something to certain golfers even if its just mentally.

The flipside is the companies that are "regular" as far as schedules are not stupid. What do they do? They make 8 lines and stagger 4 one year and 4 the next so they technically have the same amount or more types in line, just gives certain golfers the warm and fuzzy feeling that they do not have a replaced line.

Hope that makes sense from my point of view anyway.
And FWIW, I am all for new releases from everybody.

Totally agree my man. I don't care who is putting it out. More options mean more chance I can find something I like.

Is it functionally 82 percent larger? I doubt it, but I do appreciate that they provided their methodology. But like Jman said, you can do a lot of things with numbers...

I definitely want new and shiny. I'm extremely guilty of this. I was hitting every club in the demo rack at GG yesterday to prove a point to myself that it didn't matter what I hit, the ball still does the same thing.

All of the OEMs know what they are doing. They wouldn't be in business if they didn't. One think to keep in mind about numbers is that you can't advertise them unless there's something there to back it up. Otherwise it's considered false advertising.

I hit the ez and ez forged and couldn't say that I noticed anything they claimed. But my swing is far from perfect and not repeatable like a robot.

I can't wait for these new MIzunos to hit the market. The 59s and 64s were amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mizuno is making claims about having larger sweet spots on irons. The JPX EZ specifically.

They are making the following claims:

83% larger sweet spot than TM rocketbladez
102% larger sweet spot than TM speedbladez
40% larger sweet spot than Adams Super S
82% larger sweet spot than Titleist AP1 714
52% larger sweet spot than callaway x-hot
55% larger sweet spot than Ping G25

From their site on how they calculate sweet spots:
"Mizuno defines Sweet Spot area by treating Toe-Heel MOI and Up-Down MOI as the major and minor axis of any ellipse. The Sweet Spot area is calculated by the equation for the area of an ellipse"

Now, I have no idea what this really means. Anybody have a clue? :D

numbers are somewhat misleading but I would not disagree with them. simply put, place a quarter on the face of your iron, put a dime over it, the quarter is 85% larger in are than the dime

Back