Claret Jug or Stanley Cup

creegs7882

Reaction score
Handicap
Given the choice, You get to drink from either the Claret Jug or the Stanley Cup, Which would you choose? Once chosen, the other trophy is taken away.
Then, what would you drink out of it?
For me the choice is hard because of the history with each championship. In the end, I have watched hockey longer than golf, so I would choose the Stanley Cup.
The bevy of choice is easy. Guinness Stout.
Let's hear from you.
Creegs

That is tough. I think I would go Stanley Cup because I always wanted to win it as a kid. The Morgan Cup helped make the pain of not winning Lord Stanley's cup go away. Beverage of choice would be anything from the local Bemidji Brewery.

Last edited:
Howzat you are dead to me. :D

Claret Jug.

Penfold's Grange

Stanley Cup by a landslide. I have always been more of a team person than an individual accomplishments type of person. And the drink would be a milkshake.

Oh man this is so easy the ONLY cup Lord Stanley's of course!

You hockey guys are killing me. Particularly the one from #Jersey

:alien:

The SC is impressive. When the Bruins won it a few years ago, someone from their front office brought it to the state capital. Got a call from my boss to go over to the majority conference room, and there it was sitting on the table. Really freaking cool. So since I've already had my grubby little hands on Lord Stanley's Cup, it's time to get it on the Claret Jug.

Lord Stanley's Cup. Hands down.

My uncle owned a boat in the 70's, "Lord Stanley", docked at the Jersey Shore. My mom has a picture of me with my Uncle, Bernie Parent, and Bobby Clarke on his boat in the summer of 75 with the Stanley Cup. Flyers had just won their second cup and Bernie docked 2 slips down.

Claret and probably a Stone IPA.

Claret jug. I'm just not that big of a hockey fan, although I watch the playoffs most years. I consider the claret jug more 'sacred' so to speak. And I'd be drinking whiskey out of it.

~Rock

The Stanley Cup is incredible but if I have to choose - Claret Jug. As for the beverage whatever the seasonal Sam Adams is on tap.

I can't skate at all, but I play golf better than I skate, so its the Claret for me. Beverage of choice would be a cold brew.

I really like hockey but this isn't even close. For me it is the claret jug in a landslide. The first thing that comes to mind is Guinness, but I'm not sure.

Stanley Cup
Beer

Claret Jug
I would drink a Claret out of it my be a nice Petrus

The SC is impressive. When the Bruins won it a few years ago, someone from their front office brought it to the state capital. Got a call from my boss to go over to the majority conference room, and there it was sitting on the table. Really freaking cool. So since I've already had my grubby little hands on Lord Stanley's Cup, it's time to get it on the Claret Jug.

I have the opposite feeling. It came to the Capitol earlier this year and I got to put my arms around it, touch it, find the typo's on it, see where names have been struck off it, see the dents where its been abused and bent. Yet the experience didnt diminish my desire to spend any more time with it at all.

It would have to be a Manhattan for me. Hard to sip it out of a four foot tall trophy though...

Claret Jug. No doubt.

But, I do love the mystic of the SC and how players that are not the current champions won't touch it, much less be in the same room with that trophy. Bad Mojo!

I'd have to go with the Claret Jug, I never have been much of a hockey fan.

Firstly i wouldnt drink from anything that hasnt been sanitized first :)
After that issue then i say Stanley Cup and not even close. I think many would argue is the holy grail of all sports trophies or at least in the argument. Even many non avid sports and/or hockey fans can relate to that trophy, knows what it looks like, and as being very prestigious. But to each his own :)

Just have each or any sports trophy for that matter sitting in front of your house for a day (guarded of course) and any passer by will recognize the SC and also probably gawk at in in awe vs many other trophy's. Whether thats due to its significance or simply due to its recognizability, it still imo would draw the most attention.

Stanley Cup. What an awesome trophy. The jug is great, but the cup is just awesome.

I'd pick the Stanley Cup over the Claret Jug, but I'd pick personally winning a golf major over winning a hockey championship.

I don't have a clue what I'd drink out of it though. Probably an Albatross haha

Tough to say, Stanley cup is a team trophy while the jug is an individual award. I think I go with the cup, but it's close.

As for beverage, an Abita Amber would taste so good out of it.

Stanley Cup. It's such a unique trophy with its history literally written all over it. Just something about a sport's highest honor being something you get to borrow on an annual basis for winning.

Oh, and Stone Enjoy By IPA is what I would drink out of it.

Back