Why do you watch Golf on TV?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
The Tiger vs Jack thread got me thinking. Why do we watch Golf on TV? What exactly is it about watching 1000's of swings and putts on the old flat screen that we find so entertaining. We see the swing and the result and can put an image to the shot shape because we are golfers. But they don't show triple plays, monster sacks or 360 dunks. Hell we don't even get to see the entire golf course. We see what the producer wants us to see.

Yet we watch intently every week and more so during big events. We are fans of certain guys, win lose or draw. And if you break it down all we are watching is a series of swings with commentary in the back ground. Don't get me wrong, I like watching golf on TV but for me its the back stories I hear from the TV crew combined with the shots we see. It always has been and this was made clear to me when the Golf Channel started broadcasting the the web.com tour. I hated their coverage because there was not back and fourth. They had a great deal of dead air when showing golf shots and I found it boring. Still to this day their Web.com coverage bores me to tears.

PGA tour coverage is so much more entertaining with the players, the look back at history, personal stories and the commentary by the ex pros is always entertaining to me. But that's me, why do you watch golf on TV?

The competition. Someone is going to win and someone is going go lose. I have no trouble watching sports, including golf with the sound off. Just enjoy competition.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's a good question. I think I watch to see the best players play at course that I normally wouldn't get to see in person. I watch the majors more because they feel like they are more historically significant than the average tour event. While these men and women are technically playing the same game I am, I enjoy seeing what the best at their craft can do.

I enjoy watching sports played at the highest possible level. Almost any sport. I know nothing about most Olympic sports, but I will watch them just to see the best at their best.

I like watching golf on TV because those are typically the best golfers going.

The same reason I watched bowling when I was a bowler, to see the best performers playing a game I love at a level far different than I or any of my friends play it.

I enjoy watching how they approch the game and the things that they can make happen with constancy

I actually don't watch a lot if golf on TV. Under normal circumstances, I'd much prefer to be outside golfing myself.

When I do watch, it's to see the best in the world attack a golf course with incredible talent.

I find myself watching more of the Major's than I do the other tournaments. So I guess I don't watch golf much more than that, mostly. I don't know if it's just due to the fact that I'm at work so much, on Thursday - Saturday, doing most rounds, or that my wife and kids bogart the tv so much.
However, when I do watch, I enjoy watching them hit great shots. I often wonder if I'd have practiced as much as my Dad said I should, if I could have played for a living. Then I watch these guys hit shots to SPOTS on the green, not areas, spots! Then I shake my head and laugh at myself.
I enjoy the history of the game, even though I wouldn't call myself a golf history type of guy, but more than I enjoy the history of the sport.
Usually, when watching I find myself thinking, I could do that...and that always fires me up.

I watch pretty much every weekend, unless the kids control the tv or something like the world cup happens to be on. Then I will typically record it and watch it later when I have time. I just really like watching the sport. I like watching the little stories that come on during a round, watching a player dissect the course, and even the epic collapses that happen on occasion.

I love seeing the best of the best compete on the most beautiful courses the world has to offer. Seeing some of my favorite players and the differences in their swings is quite interesting as well.

The drama through competition. The successes and trials and reactions to unfortunate bounces. The precision and professionalism. The execution of the seemingly impossible shot. The dignity displayed by the games ambassadors, Tom Watson comes immediately to mind.

Like others said, I really enjoy watching people who are at the top of their sport. Its fun to see so much talent

it's usually an excuse to sit back on the couch, have a few beers, and be lazy while imagining I made different life choices 20 years ago rather than sitting on the couch drinking beers and being lazy.

For the competition for sure. But more so, it's for the really good shots that are played. I know how hard this game is, so I really appreciate the fantastic shots the professionals can create, especially in adversity. It's inspirational to see someone pull of a difficult shot when it absolutely needs to be done.

However, one thing I don't like about watching golf is the constant switching to "Player A" on the putting green just as he's striking his long putt. You know it's going to drop because they wouldn't be showing it to you otherwise. "Player A" hadn't been seen on TV all weekend before they cut to that shot.

I don't watch much on tv because like baseball it's very boring to watch. I'm into watching golf a little more now since I just started the sport. I like seeing what the pros are doing and just try to mimic them in my swing when I go out to the range. I watch how relaxed they are and try to be the same on the course.

I enjoy the sport and like to watch the best in the world play the game. As a kid I hated when my dad put golf on t.v. at that time it was so boring to me.

I enjoy watching the incredible shots the pros pull off. I like looking at form and technique to see what I can apply to my game. I also follow it for fantasy golf and the scripting.

I love the game and love watching it played at such a high level. But honestly, most of why I watch it is to see the gear and clothing on the course.

I watch little of the regular tour, mostly only the majors. More LPGA and Champions Tour for me, and when I do, it is always by DVR. Between the never ending commercial's and the never ending talking, I just fast forward thru the BS.

Truthfully, I don't watch golf on TV. I turn it on while doing other things and then later probably fall asleep during much of the coverage. For every hour of coverage I probably watch 10 actual minutes of it, if that much :p

I love to watch golf for a few reasons:
1) I love to cheer on my guys!
2) I love to watch the best in world obliterate par like it's nothing, or conversely get obliterated by par.
3) I have such a mad respect for the consistency, mental strength, and abilities of the pros.
4) Their equipment is so shiny!

For me, I love the game, and love to see golf being played if I can't be playing it. I love seeing how the pros approach courses and the shots they make. I enjoy seeing good golf being played.

I've always enjoyed watching golf even in my 15 yr layoff, not for sure why, I guess it's because I grew up with it,
I like to see all the good shots and different swings, and I love the occasional duff, just shows you can't be perfect in the game

Beautiful courses. Especially with HD and a big flat screen.

It's calm and slow. Don't have to be glued to the TV.

Mainly just love watching the golf shots. I like watching the approach they take and the way they play each shot. Also enjoy watching their swing type and being able to tell if they were trying to play a cut or draw.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

The same reason I watched bowling when I was a bowler, to see the best performers playing a game I love at a level far different than I or any of my friends play it.

I watch golf a lot more now that I play more golf.

Back