How do you handle changing green speed?

Keeping things on topic..

The hardest thing is trying to determine if the greens are all getting faster or if it was just that particular green that was running a little hot. That alone might be the most frustrating thing. You get a pin placement in the shadows, that grass probably isn't going to grow as fast as one that may have direct sunlight on it all day and is just out there baking.

I play a lot of early morning rounds so I experience this a decent amount and am definitely aware of it. I just try to be consciously aware of it and to lengthen the shoulder turn when it is more damp. Am I successful at executing? Eh, I don't know.

Last edited:
I play a lot of early morning rounds so I experience this a decent amount and am definitely aware of it. I just try to be consciously aware of and to lengthen the shoulder turn when it is more damp. Am I successful at executing? Eh, I don't know.

That is one of my least favorite things about early morning rounds. The grass may be the smoothest, but that speed is going to change by the late back 9

That is one of my least favorite things about early morning rounds. The grass may be the smoothest, but that speed is going to change by the late back 9
Yep, I agree. My other least favorite thing is the wet sand in the bunkers - that kills me.

I don't often have time to do it but if possible I like to spend a little extra time on the practice green hitting lag putts just to get a feel for pace. I kind of hope I can dial that back to normal as things dry up during the round.

Wet sand is stupid, especially if it's heavy sand to begin with when dry.

I agree about working on lag putting when there's extra time. Nothing like going to the first green knowing that you're comfortable with your touch.

I miss putts... that's how I handle it. I don't think I ever really give it much thought, but maybe I should.

I always putt to a spot. If I feel the greens are speeding up, I just move that spot in accordingly.

When I play early morning rounds I am always aware that by the end of the front 9 the greens will gain about a foot or so in speed, I try to watch chips and others putt to know when to begin to adjust.

When I play early morning rounds I am always aware that by the end of the front 9 the greens will gain about a foot or so in speed, I try to watch chips and others putt to know when to begin to adjust.

That is what I do Tim, I usually put a time on it. Meaning once the sun is a bit higher I know the dew is going to gone. My lines get a bit more aggressive

I'm pretty consistent with speed, slower greens putts will be a little short and fast greens I'll be a little long. I try to focus more on my line on faster greens than anything, slow greens aim for the center and drill it lol.

I have a hard time committing to the putt when the greens are slower than what they normally are for that course. So when it heats up and they dry out a bit I get back on track but until then I'm usually 6-12 inches short.

I have a hard time committing to the putt when the greens are slower than what they normally are for that course. So when it heats up and they dry out a bit I get back on track but until then I'm usually 6-12 inches short.
I'm the same and struggle when things are slow. Like Freddie mentioned in the morning with dew I struggle to cope with the speed

Not very well today. Usually very important for me to hit the practice green before a round to get a good feel before I start playing.

i didn't today and my putting was very poor.

I'm the same and struggle when things are slow. Like Freddie mentioned in the morning with dew I struggle to cope with the speed

Yeah dude it sucks I try and take an aggressive line and a put a solid stroke on it but I just end up having to grind it out for a few holes. It's not often I 1 putt a green so I'm not really loosing any strokes but knowing it didn't have a chance to drop hurts the confidence a bit.

All about feel for me. If I have good speed to begin the round I usually adjust quicker than if I'm off out of the gate.

I've played some courses where it changes back and forth throughout the day from holes in the sun and some that are in shade most of the day. That's always a hard adjustment.

Then there was my round on Sunday where the first 4 holes I chipped up to a foot or closer (gimmes) and didn't even have to putt til the 5th hole. I 3 putted that one because I had no idea how fast they were. It was like a glass table top. Took me that hole and another to figure out speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play skins every weekend morning and the dew is still on for the first nine holes, but then things dry out and you just adjust. It is all feel for me.

Poorly. I try to focus on feel and recognizing the dominant retain features a bit more. I find they come into play as the course dries out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

I don't really struggle with conditions changing when it warms up or starts raining. I do struggle when conditions are the same but green speeds are very inconsistent due to poor maintenance.

Back