Par Five Layout - Good Design or Silly?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
So MikeDean and I played an interesting course this morning, and I was warned a couple times about a par five on the back nine... basically you have to hit a 210 yard shot straight out, and then a solid 250 yard shot in order to see the green.

The actual hole looks like a Z (not really an exaggeration) and it's tree lined and extremely tight on the second shot.

What do you guys think? Is that a reasonable hole design or is it silly? I thought it was a ridiculous design, that is probably impossible for most handicaps to see the green in 3 shots. I think any hole that makes you hit a longer club from the fairway than you did from the tee is ridiculous..

sounds crazy to me

I have seen a few like that on some older course around really takes the driver out of your hand and makes it a true 3 shot par 5 make you really test your shot making

Silly.

We have a par 4 at the course we played today (15th at Pecan Valley River) that's similar but not as bad. Dogleg right par 4 with a river from 200-250 off the tee. Requires 2 perfect 200 yard shots in general minimum assuming you place both shots perfectly. Many a good round goes to crap there.

For a second I thought this was talking about Fox Glen #5.

It does sound like it could be a frustrating hole for sure.

Stupid design IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Can you go over the trees or is it OOB? I like risk reward design, but this could just be space limitation.

Any pictures of the hole?

Based on the design you outlined, are you saying that most female golfers or senior golfers would have no chance to even get home in 6 or even 7? I know you are just describing it, but I find that hard to believe. I mean 1 to get out to the right mark (2-3) to get to the 250 mark to see the green and then at least one to get home? Something is amiss.

It was ludicrous. Drive in cart 440 yards just to be able to see the green. If u guys go to Google Earth and type in brandywine golf club it's a big Z and a truly stupid hole

Sounds like a poorly planned out hole to me. Give the people a legitimate chance at a birdie, or even a par!

I looked it up, looks pretty stupid.

There is a similar hole at a course here called the Claw, I hate it.

Yup stupid

So MikeDean and I played an interesting course this morning, and I was warned a couple times about a par five on the back nine... basically you have to hit a 210 yard shot straight out, and then a solid 250 yard shot in order to see the green.

The actual hole looks like a Z (not really an exaggeration) and it's tree lined and extremely tight on the second shot.

What do you guys think? Is that a reasonable hole design or is it silly? I thought it was a ridiculous design, that is probably impossible for most handicaps to see the green in 3 shots. I think any hole that makes you hit a longer club from the fairway than you did from the tee is ridiculous..

I hate holes like that. We have a course around us that has a hole like that. No reason you should make players struggle to hit a gir.
I love hard courses but they need to be fair. You should have a shot at par at least on a hole if you do your part with good shots.

The whole back 9 was dumb...totally opposite from a respectable front 9

That's ridiculous! Depending on how tall those threes are...is it "possible" to hit a cut around the corner, then a hit draw into or up by the green?

Just saw the photo.....asinine.

That bird's eye picture makes it look like it should be a mini-golf hole, not a real hole, to scale.

I really like odd holes like that, but that seems a bit excessive.

Not a fan of these holes at all.

We have a course here that was recently renovated to eliminate a similar hole - you had to hit a 210ish shot off the tee to a tiny flat landing area (otherwise go OB), then a longer second shot than the tee shot and it's a forced carry to a severely sloped uphill fairway, then you still have a long uphill 3rd shot. Just dumb. Thankfully they made it a par 4 this season.

Based on the design you outlined, are you saying that most female golfers or senior golfers would have no chance to even get home in 6 or even 7? I know you are just describing it, but I find that hard to believe. I mean 1 to get out to the right mark (2-3) to get to the 250 mark to see the green and then at least one to get home? Something is amiss.

Dan or Mike,
Can one of you guys answer? I dont see tees or yardages, so its hard to tell.

I've got it mike.. here's the hole.

mady7e7y.jpg

That might almost be as stupid as the entire Westwynd course up here. Nah, this still beats it. That is just ludicrous and right where that cart is in the picture, there's gotta be next to no fairway.

How'd you guys score?

Dan or Mike,
Can one of you guys answer? I dont see tees or yardages, so its hard to tell.

Here's the scorecard, I believe. Says shortest tees are 528. So it might take seniors/women 6-7 to get there, but makes it a par 6.

course_scorecard.jpg

Back