Par Five Layout - Good Design or Silly?

I'd hit it

So, when you played the course, was there a backup on the tee box?

If it were located here, there would be 3 groups on this hole at once. With the tight play as well as the hazards, I would dread having to sit and wait for people searching for balls all the way down this hole.

Ridiculous hole design. I've play legitimate 3 shot par 5s but this is just silly. Maybe the space was cut out prior to the course design?

Seems perfect for an OH THP event. Another thing to complain about.

I dunno there are gimmicky holes that are fun and ones that are ridiculous. The 250 yard second shot seems pretty hard and puts it toward ridiculous but I would like to play it...

As mentioned by JB above I think this would make for a great THP event and anyone who bogeys the hole or better should be #OutingApproved

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To me, that hole is stupid. How many golfers have a 250 yard shot off the deck in the bag? And that's assuming they actually hit the fairway on their first.

To me, that hole is stupid. How many golfers have a 250 yard shot off the deck in the bag? And that's assuming they actually hit the fairway on their first.

Thats exactly my point. Most amateur golfers don't have that shot off the deck, not to mention one that can't miss more than 10 yards off the center line.

I'd probably play it once or twice to see if I COULD make anything but a mess out of it, then vote with my feet and never return.
I barely have a 250y shot off the tee on a good day and a whole lot more than a 10y miss on THAT. Not a chance I could play it as designed, which makes it either bad design or intentional nastiness. Maybe both.

Golf hole design is supposed to be intelligent. It's not hard to make an impossible hole. It's actually very easy. A hole is supposed to require choices and skill to score, and not to be unusually penal to weekend players or players of an average skill level.

When a hole violates this and simply presents no real choices to the golfer--it attempts to beat him via raw force rather than by outwitting him--it's a sign of bad and lazy design.

I'm not saying that there is no latitude for creative or difficult holes in golf. Absolutely there is, and some of my favorite holes are very difficult holes. But they are difficult due to the tradeoffs you must make in any choice you commit to in playing the hole across four or five shots. That's--design speaking--a whole different universe away from a hole where the designer just uses brute force to add shots to your card.

Unfair and silly IMO. Most people, myself included, do not have a club they can hit 250 yards from the fairway.

Ridiculous hole design. I've play legitimate 3 shot par 5s but this is just silly. Maybe the space was cut out prior to the course design?
yeah, i don't mind legit 3 shotters either but this hole just isn't. Especially for those of us who will never have a 250 yard club for that second off the fairway, assuming we hit the landing area off the tee to begin with. Thumbs down.

Yeah that sounds just downright nuts. Just makes it unpleasant for most players as it sounds not reachable in 3 for most.

It's a little ludicrous if you ask me. I read most of the responses so I'm hoping this isn't an epic skim, but how did you each play it?

It's a little ludicrous if you ask me. I read most of the responses so I'm hoping this isn't an epic skim, but how did you each play it?

I hit my 18* hybrid exactly where the hole told me, and I had a 240-291 yard option from there off a mediocre "fairway" clover lie. I went after it with a 3 wood to try and get it there, and I lost it right, but it hit a tree and kicked back into play (pure luck).

An 8 iron from there got me to about 50 yards, and after a wedge to a decent number I missed my par putt.

I hit my 18* hybrid exactly where the hole told me, and I had a 240-291 yard option from there off a mediocre "fairway" clover lie. I went after it with a 3 wood to try and get it there, and I lost it right, but it hit a tree and kicked back into play (pure luck).

An 8 iron from there got me to about 50 yards, and after a wedge to a decent number I missed my par putt.

Yep, if it challenges you that much I would make a complete mess of it.

Yep, if it challenges you that much I would make a complete mess of it.

I played a second ball as a provisional which was a four iron and I didn't even sniff the corner. In fact I thought I hit it perfectly but it had a small small tail and bounced into the creek that juts out.

I get going for it on a par 5 in two leaving a variety of risks in play, I just don't get the idea of having to go for it in three with massive risk. In my opinion, all holes should be obtainable in regulation and there should be an increased risk for GUR. Just my opinion though.

I played a second ball as a provisional which was a four iron and I didn't even sniff the corner. In fact I thought I hit it perfectly but it had a small small tail and bounced into the creek that juts out.

I get going for it on a par 5 in two leaving a variety of risks in play, I just don't get the idea of having to go for it in three with massive risk. In my opinion, all holes should be obtainable in regulation and there should be an increased risk for GUR. Just my opinion though.

I think that makes sense. You should have to make a couple of great shots to get on in two, but "good" should be good enough to get you on or around the green in regulation.

Sounds pretty nuts!

The whole back 9 was dumb...totally opposite from a respectable front 9

I think this should be the quote on their website & score cards. The front nine is good, but the back is gimmicky & not much fun.

Another winner is the par three where the elevation drop is greater than the distance to the hole - basically you hit it off a cliff & dig your ball out of the green when it embeds like a frigging mortar round.

I dislike "gimmick" holes, and this one sounds like a perfect example. I've played double dogleg holes that force you to hit certain distances, but for the most part allowed a golfer to get home in 3 shots. Challenging holes are fun, but this one seems ridiculous.

I think this should be the quote on their website & score cards. The front nine is good, but the back is gimmicky & not much fun.

Another winner is the par three where the elevation drop is greater than the distance to the hole - basically you hit it off a cliff & dig your ball out of the green when it embeds like a frigging mortar round.

Must be a blast to putt on

Mike took honors for that hole and I am very glad he did hahahaha!

Must be a blast to putt on

It was the only hole on the course with standing water on it, but aside from those ares rolled true #BirdieBombs

Purest iron I hit all day.....long into ravine

I'm not a fan of it. Open it up and soften the corners and it still could be a tough hole for all golfers. This course architect obviously was practicing a stint of forced celibacy.

Back