Par Five Layout - Good Design or Silly?

This is a dumb hole

I hate holes where the second shot is longer than the first

If forced to layup the layup area should be reachable

You should be able to reach every GIR by playing the right tees with the required # of good shots.

Some needs to smack this architect & it needs to be made a par 6/7

I'm not a fan of this type of hole.

Silly. To me holes like that are just completely gimmicky. It's a poor design at trying to make a hole more difficult than it has to be. Epic skim here, but what did you guys get on the hole?

It isn't exactly the same, but it reminds me of this hole I played last summer. I played it from the 476 yard tees one day and absolutely crushed my drive, and had just under 200 yards directly to the hole per my GPS. The problem is that there was no way at all to try to go over or around the trees on the right to the green. I had to hit a sand wedge for my 2nd shot to the corner of the dogleg, then a 9 iron onto the green. Basically it's an 140-150 yard par 3 that is masked as a par 5.

t_hole9.jpg

u8ateteq.jpg

This is a par 5 on my home course. Kinda stupid. Big oak trees don't allow you to hit driver or 3 wood over them. It forces you to hit an 8 or 7 iron off the tee to be in the fairway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks pretty ridiculous to me

Ridiculous hole design. I've play legitimate 3 shot par 5s but this is just silly. Maybe the space was cut out prior to the course design?

If it was cut out prior to the course design, I'd hope the designer would turn it into a short par 3 and long par 4/short par 5, or to par 4's. I mean why make it like this? Unless he was trying to go for a par 6 design???

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb !

Looks pretty strange to me, I never seen one like that before. I bet it could get frustrating very fast.

Not pretty anything...Silly is putting it nicely.

Not a fan of the hole, especially for shorter hitters. Not sure what the designer was thinking.

Stupid.

I play alot of small local courses, and usually there's a couple holes that are a stupid layout like this because they had to deal with whatever space they had. I hate those kind of holes.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Just seeing this thread, as Castor brought this up over dinner while discussing lengthy Par 5. I told him that this sounded like the Par 5 on the back nine at Brecksville. Did I get it right, and I agree that hole was designed horribly!

So MikeDean and I played an interesting course this morning, and I was warned a couple times about a par five on the back nine... basically you have to hit a 210 yard shot straight out, and then a solid 250 yard shot in order to see the green.

The actual hole looks like a Z (not really an exaggeration) and it's tree lined and extremely tight on the second shot.

What do you guys think? Is that a reasonable hole design or is it silly? I thought it was a ridiculous design, that is probably impossible for most handicaps to see the green in 3 shots. I think any hole that makes you hit a longer club from the fairway than you did from the tee is ridiculous..

Ridiculous hole, maybe the worst I've seen.

Just seeing this thread, as Castor brought this up over dinner while discussing lengthy Par 5. I told him that this sounded like the Par 5 on the back nine at Brecksville. Did I get it right, and I agree that hole was designed horribly!

We played Brandywine which isn't terribly far from Breckville, is it?

Thanks for correcting me. I was just thought to myself did I type Brecksville. Yes Brandywine.
We played Brandywine which isn't terribly far from Breckville, is it?

Thanks for correcting me. I was just thought to myself did I type Brecksville. Yes Brandywine.

I joked with Mike that it was more of an 'after work 9 holer' type of course.. the front 9 that is, hahahaha!

Crazy the difference between the two nines, but more notably, that ridiculous par 5.

I joked with Mike that it was more of an 'after work 9 holer' type of course.. the front 9 that is, hahahaha!

Crazy the difference between the two nines, but more notably, that ridiculous par 5.
Yep I won't be playing 18 there ever again unless it's the front 9 twice

So MikeDean and I played an interesting course this morning, and I was warned a couple times about a par five on the back nine... basically you have to hit a 210 yard shot straight out, and then a solid 250 yard shot in order to see the green.

The actual hole looks like a Z (not really an exaggeration) and it's tree lined and extremely tight on the second shot.

What do you guys think? Is that a reasonable hole design or is it silly? I thought it was a ridiculous design, that is probably impossible for most handicaps to see the green in 3 shots. I think any hole that makes you hit a longer club from the fairway than you did from the tee is ridiculous..
I don't think there should be a harder second on a par five just to get into scoring position. So I think it's silly.

How tall are those trees?? Can you tee off and hit a 40-50yd pitch to get away from the trees, and then play an 8 or 9iron backwards towards the teebox (over the trees behind the tee box)?

How tall are those trees?? Can you tee off and hit a 40-50yd pitch to get away from the trees, and then play an 8 or 9iron backwards towards the teebox (over the trees behind the tee box)?

I personally think it would be impossible to make a play through the trees. It looks barren in the photos, but that appears to be in a season where the leaves aren't present. I hit more or less a perfectly straight shot to the flag that sits in the middle/right side of the fairway -- which is where the tee box told me to aim.

From there, I had no choice but to pull 3 wood and hit it as hard as I could, knowing that I don't have 250 off the deck with a 3 wood as a stock shot in my bag. I probably only made it about 175-185 ricochet off the tree considered, and from there would have had to hit a 4 iron higher than I hit my wedge, but hooking probably 70 yards off my target line in order to sniff the green.

Back