range or practice green first?

Range, then if I have time, short game and putting green.

I hit the range first to get loosened up. Generally speaking my game is dependent on my full swing more so than my short game. Once I'm loosened up I'll head to the practice green and roll some 3-4 footers for confidence and a few 8-10 footers for pace.

I range it first almost always. I like to loosen up with a few swings and then let my body settle in with some short game work before I head to the tee.

Always been my routine and I doubt i change it any time soon.

Range for me first to get loose and then head to the practice green. If I have to choose between the two because of time constraints, I always go for the range.

I don't do either when playing at my home course. Just stretch for a couple of minutes on the first tee and I'm off. If playing a new course or someplace I don't frequently play, I spend some time on the putting green. Very rarely hit range balls (I figure I only have so many swings in my bum left arm) but if I do hit a few, it is usually after putting and before heading to the first tee.

I tend to start on the driving range. Hit 1-2 buckets and then move to the chipping green. I always end on the putting green. All in all, on a good weather day it can take me anywhere from 2.5-3 hours.

I would spend 20-30 min chipping and putting. 5 or so minutes each of lower lofted chips with a 9/P and lofted wedge, then 10 -15 min putting, starting at 2 ft and working out to 12 ft them back to 2-4ft again.

I'd then take a couple of lofted irons to the range and hit about 8-12 balls, typically nothing over 100-110 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a perfect scenario:
Putting first
Some chipping
Range warmup
More putting
Back to range and hit a few based on what how the first 2-3 holes are set up.
Straight to first tee.

I try to get to the course about an hour before my tee time.
Here is my usual warm up routine.

Bucket of balls - 50 - 60 balls

On the range after stretching -

1 - 10 half speed practice swings with 52* and 56* wedges held together.
2 - 5 balls chipped about 20 yards with 52* wedge
3 - 5 balls 1/2 swing with 56* wedge
4 - 10 balls normal swing with 9 iron
5 - 10 balls normal swing with 7 iron
6 - 5 balls normal swing with 5 iron
7 - 5 balls normal swing with hybrid
8 - 5 balls normal swing with 3 wood
9 - 5 balls normal swing with driver
10 - 3 or 4 balls, normal swing with 52* wedge
11 - 3 or 4 balls normal swing with 56* wedge

12 - putting green, maybe 10 putts to get the feel of a good stroke, not to get green speed.

If I don't have any time, then it's 5 or 6 swings with the 2 wedges together, then hit the first tee and try to put a 3/4 swing with the driver in the fairway.

I like to hit the putting green first. I personally feel it helps with tempo through out my swing. Then hit balls, chip, and back to the green for some 3-5 footers before the first tee. No more than an hour total

I usually do hit the range first, then hit the putting green before I tee off. Mostly because I don't want to feel rushed on the range, before I hit the 1st tee. It doesn't take much to get a feel for speed on the practice green. Besides, sometimes the practice green doesn't even come close to the true green speeds on course.
So for me, proper warm up, then rolling some putts before the 1st tee.

Putting green first - about 10 min. I want to get the speed and get some good 10-20 footers under my belt.
Chip - prob 15 minutes.
Bunker - usually about 10 balls.
Range - wedges, short irons, long irons, end with about 5-10 drivers. Probably 40-50 balls total.
Then off to the first tee.
Even if the course is set up where the putting green is right next to the first tee, I want to come off the range to the first tee box.

I tend to start on the driving range. Hit 1-2 buckets and then move to the chipping green. I always end on the putting green. All in all, on a good weather day it can take me anywhere from 2.5-3 hours.

wow, wish I had that kind of time!

My wife would kill me.

4 hour round + 2.5-3 hours of practice = not very happy at home! lol

Putting Green First, then Range, then Green again (for some chips and lag putting).

I rarely go to the range before a round, if I do I usually go there first again because it is farther from the first tee than is the putting green. I always putt for a while before playing, if time is short I putt from 8 foot and in only. I then swing the Gold Flex about 6 times left handed and end up by swinging it 6 times right handed and am ready to go.

Putting green first (ESPECIALLY at a different course), then range and chipping green if they have one

If I have the time I like to do range, chipping and putting. It's funny though, I could hit 200 balls on the range and it would still take 2 or 3 holes to get dialed in.

I go practice green, chipping, the range. This way I can hit the shot I want off of the first tee as my last ball on the range. If timing or layout dictates a different order, I can switch it around though.

I would first hit the putting green but the only thing that I would work on is speed. I would then hit the range and hit 5-10 balls with each club focusing mostly on my wedges and driver. I would then do a little bit of chipping to see how the ball will react once it hits the green and then putt a little more to make sure that my putting stroke is on. Then back to hit a few more balls on the range except this time I would be practicing my first tee shot and the shot shape that I want to hit. Now it is time to play.

Range for me ... then putting green just to get the speed down ... then if time allows chipping ...

Don't pend too much time on green as I practice a lot at home on my green ... so that is why range time helps me more ...

Must admit I am amzed at how much time some of you spend at course before playing. I normally pull into carpark 5 minutes before I tee off ! I should try and see if it might help my scores but I am very lazy and really hate practicing any part of my golf game.

I like to get to the course about 1 hour before my tee time. I like to really stretch well before swinging any club. Then, I start with my wedges, about 3-4 balls each. I don't necessarily hit every club. I always finish with the club I hit on the first tee. I try to get a good feel for my first shot. There is usually a putting green close to the first tee. I don't practice too much, just enough to get a feel for the speed of the greens.

Range and then putting, only because on most of the courses that I play, the practice green is much closer to the first tee than the driving range. It's purely a time-saving thing to practice putting at the end.

Back