Ran 6.75 miles yesterday (Sunday) & ran 4 mi & walked 1 today (6:45 AM). Monday's run was a tempo run - trying to up the pace: the 3rd mile was at a 9:30 min/mi pace - which is fantistic for me! (typically it's been 11:00ish

Today just 3.1 miles (5k) but I did run the 2nd mile at a 9:10 pace - my fastest to date in years. Also the last mile was intervals (sprint half a lap/ walk the other half).

You're doing good grins! Are you losing some weight? How much has your pace improved so far?

I took a couple weeks off to be on the safe side and avoid any injuries before THPMC.

I've decided to do a half. I'm going to run a 5k next month, then follow 5k to half 3 month plan from there.

I've decided to do a half. I'm going to run a 5k next month, then follow 5k to half 3 month plan from there.

Good luck man. I toyed with doing the half this year too, but don't have the time to commit at the moment. Might be a 2015 project for me.

Good luck man. I toyed with doing the half this year too, but don't have the time to commit at the moment. Might be a 2015 project for me.

I'm probably stupid for doing it, but I just feel like I need to set a goal like that right now. Should be interesting that's for sure.

Nah, you're not stupid. Very doable.

You're doing good grins! Are you losing some weight? How much has your pace improved so far?

I took a couple weeks off to be on the safe side and avoid any injuries before THPMC.

Thanks, man. As far as pace improvement, it's hard to tell, because I started up running seriously (or should I say "religiously"?) while on the beach. My typical "slow/warming up" pace has gone from maybe 12 min/mi to 11:00. And to be painfully honest, lately I haven't had a faster gear. The last time I was running for real, I did a 15 k race at 8:15 min/mi pace (but that was 20+ years ago lol!). My goal right now is to do a 5k at 8:00 pace. I plan to start mixing in hillwork & interval training more once I have a higher base mileage set.

Yes, I am losing weight - slowly but surely (I was under 200 today for the first time!). I just want to be healthy enough to be around for my kids (& hopefully their kids) for a long time. And if it helps my golf game, that's just gravy.
runreligiously013_zps6b42e966.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P.S. Good luck to you this week at the Morgan Cup!

Very nice!

I can get into that low to mid 8's after I get going, but it's tough to sustain for much more than 1 to 1-1/2 miles. 9 seems to be a pretty typical average for me.

Funny you mentioned 20+ years ago. I made a post a month or two ago that basically said I matched my 2nd grade gym class personal best for the mile at 8:24. Stupid getting old.

I'm probably stupid for doing it, but I just feel like I need to set a goal like that right now. Should be interesting that's for sure.

Not stupid - smart to set a goal. I actually did a half marathon a few years ago (very slow pace & I had to walk a bit, but I finished). It was the same day that a couple of people died running the Chicago Marathon (regional heat wave made it feel like mid-summer with high humidity).

I wasn't really in good shape by race day, but having paid the entry fee forced me to keep practicing & running regularly. I think signing up - putting anything in writing & putting money on it is a great motivator for following through. Good luck!

16 miles so far this week (strictly running miles. I've also walked another 10). This morning I ran 5 miles (after golf!) at a 10:40 min/mi pace (lowered from previous best pace of 11:25 min/mi). Did 5k at a 10 min/mi pace & it felt easy, and my "survival shuffle" pace is now closer to 11:00 min/mi (vs 12+ 2 weeks ago).

16 miles so far this week (strictly running miles. I've also walked another 10). This morning I ran 5 miles (after golf!) at a 10:40 min/mi pace (lowered from previous best pace of 11:25 min/mi). Did 5k at a 10 min/mi pace & it felt easy, and my "survival shuffle" pace is now closer to 11:00 min/mi (vs 12+ 2 weeks ago).

Respect. I took a break from running about a month ago after running 3-4 miles every other day since the beginning of the year...now I can't get motivate to start up again. Was running a lot of 5 km fun runs in the area....hope to get back out there in a few days before I completely get out of shape.

I ran 4 miles yesterday, which is probably the longest I have fun in at least 5 years. Progress has come quickly so far, but this is always been my ceiling, I have always been able to run 3 miles or so pretty easily, but passed that I have run into joint problems. Hopefully I can continue to move forward.

Guess I'm gonna start running again. God knows I need to and the wife is training for a marathon.

Now I need a new dog to run with. :)

Guess I'm gonna start running again. God knows I need to and the wife is training for a marathon.

That's right Cookie - you know you want to...all the cool kids are doing it.

Get a bike. Ride while she runs.

Seriously considering. My knees need it. Need a low budget road bike.

You might want to check Craigslist - I've gotten some killer deals on bikes there.

I ran 4 miles yesterday, which is probably the longest I have fun in at least 5 years. Progress has come quickly so far, but this is always been my ceiling, I have always been able to run 3 miles or so pretty easily, but passed that I have run into joint problems. Hopefully I can continue to move forward.

seeing that you're from Brandon, I can sympathize with you on your run.....hot/humid as hell here, isn't it?

seeing that you're from Brandon, I can sympathize with you on your run.....hot/humid as hell here, isn't it?

Haha yep, I get my butt up bright and early to avoid the heat.

Haha yep, I get my butt up bright and early to avoid the heat.

after running 4 miles every day, I took a month off due to travel....first day back yesterday only 2 miles, today 2.5 miles......air feels very heavy. Got a few 5km races coming up in the Fall, so I got to get back up to about 4 miles....getting up before 7 a.m. and getting out there is much easier than running later in the day when it heats up and gets more humid......

after running 4 miles every day, I took a month off due to travel....first day back yesterday only 2 miles, today 2.5 miles......air feels very heavy. Got a few 5km races coming up in the Fall, so I got to get back up to about 4 miles....getting up before 7 a.m. and getting out there is much easier than running later in the day when it heats up and gets more humid......

It was even humid this morning, the dry air that came in late last week is officially gone.

I'm running into alot of pain in my right foot, I oveepronate (I think) and it's no Bueno. I'm going to have to find a way to fix this.

I took a few days off after my calf tightened up on the last run, so I went nice & slow today & did 7 miles (6.2 miles = 10 km in 68:28, so basically 11 minute miles).

The only thing I'm wondering is I'm using Map My Run app, and it's telling me that the 1 mile mark is slightly less than 4 laps, so it has my mile pace at 10:45. I always assumed 4 laps on the inside lane at the local high school track was 1 mile. I wonder which is correct?

I took a few days off after my calf tightened up on the last run, so I went nice & slow today & did 7 miles (6.2 miles = 10 km in 68:28, so basically 11 minute miles).

The only thing I'm wondering is I'm using Map My Run app, and it's telling me that the 1 mile mark is slightly less than 4 laps, so it has my mile pace at 10:45. I always assumed 4 laps on the inside lane at the local high school track was 1 mile. I wonder which is correct?

According to google, there are 1609.34 meters in a mile. The standard track is measured in meters, and made to be a 400 meter track (some indoor tracks are 200 meters).

So ACTUALLY, it would seem you would need to run 4 laps PLUS another 9.34 meters to reach a mile.

To conclude, I'm pretty sure your GPS running app is off a bit. I don't think any of us can expect pure perfection out of GPS while still having enough battery to listen to music, shop on amazon, and catch up on THP, all on one charge.

~Rock

Back