Ethical type question - please weigh in

You guys do realize he doesn't HAVE to pay for anything right. The fact he offered to pay for it would have been more than enough for me, and would of happily just split the bill(if they are good neighbors that is)

You guys do realize he doesn't HAVE to pay for anything right. The fact he offered to pay for it would have been more than enough for me, and would of happily just split the bill(if they are good neighbors that is)

He actually does have to pay. It was his negligence that caused the damage and any court would make him pay if he refused. Sounds like he is willing to pay, so I'd let him. Their car was simply parked in their drive way.

Taps away

And why why would he not have to pay? I guess he could say go to H and go thru insurance but that would then leave him open to a lawsuit that would last all of 15 mins in small claims court.

He actually does have to pay. It was his negligence that caused the damage and any court would make him pay if he refused. Sounds like he is willing to pay, so I'd let him. Their car was simply parked in their drive way.

Taps away

Yah I'm no lawyer but I don't see how he would not be responsible.

Insurance on a glass claim is handled different ... If your insurance try's to punish you for a claim like this it's time change insurance companies ...

Might try to have him call his company first ...

Perhaps I have better insurance company, glass claims are handle very fast and with no issues ... It's why I carry insurance

I suppose I'm wrong(you have to prove in court he's negligent)I'm glad you guys are so neighborly. I suppose that's I'm building far enough away from everyone.

Insurance on a glass claim is handled different ... If your insurance try's to punish you for a claim like this it's time change insurance companies ...

Might try to have him call his company first ...

Perhaps I have better insurance company, glass claims are handle very fast and with no issues ... It's why I carry insurance
I never heard of anyone paying a deductible for gals but had a partner at work that had made 2 glass claims and they dropped his glass coverage.

I'm glad you guys are so neighborly. I suppose that's I'm building far enough away from everyone.

So were wrong cause we won't pay for our neighbors complete and utter negligence? In this case he did the right thing but your making him out to be this overly great neighbor and in a sense blaming the victim.

Yah I'm no lawyer but I don't see how he would not be responsible.
I'm no lawyer either and I dont know all the circumstances but if he had a catch on his shoot and rocks slipped. Besides that it sounded like the dead bush was on the property line so he did both of then a favor. I'm just saying if it were me I'd have no problem splitting the bill.

So were wrong cause we won't pay for our neighbors complete and utter negligence? In this case he did the right thing but your making him out to be this overly great neighbor and in a sense blaming the victim.
Did he not remove the unsitely Bush off the property line? Idk this guy could be a complete a$$hole. But if he's a good neighbor I wouldn't mind splitting the bill. He will remember that next time you mess up, or head out of town and need someone to watch your house.

Split the bill? No way. And I don't see how his removal of the hedge plays any part, so long as it was all on his property. As a homeowner, sometimes there are lessons to be learned, and proper mower safety and other considerations is one of them. It sucks for that guy, but unless there is something else that would somehow place any responsibility on you or your wife that is not being expressed here, the neighbor has to suck it up and pay. Yes, I would feel bad about it because it may have been an honest mistake, it's still a mistake and he should own it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give him the quote and have him pay for it, but take him golfing in return.
He pays for the mistake he was man enough to own up to, the both of you get a day to golf, and you show that you realize the cost was burdensome and want to thank him for repairing your car.

This. Great gesture by him for owning the mistake and offering to pay to make it right.

Did he not remove the unsitely Bush off the property line? Idk this guy could be a complete a$$hole. But if he's a good neighbor I wouldn't mind splitting the bill. He will remember that next time you mess up, or head out of town and need someone to watch your house.

i would totally ally split it with him if I did anything negligent but in this case all that was done is they parked in their own driveway. I don't think the OP is unreasonable for getting the whole thing paid for.

I did not include any character or relationship description about the neighbor because I think it has no bearing on who should pay. The truth is, after over 25 years we have never had a relationship with him, but my wife and his wife are on cordial terms. Much of this is because of that removed hedge (which was over 20 feet tall and at least 10' thick), which previously totally isolated our properties from each other, and then also because he is not a very social person. Only since the hedge has gone have we had more (and friendly) contact with these neighbors.

i would totally ally split it with him if I did anything negligent but in this case all that was done is they parked in their own driveway. I don't think the OP is unreasonable for getting the whole thing paid for.
I don't think he's unreasonable for asking every penny. He's has every right. I just found it weird how Unneighborly everyone here was. As a kid I broke my share of windows with golf balls and baseball's and football's and I remember how terrible I felt. And I now have kids and I know it's only a matter of time before the same thing happens. And I hope when that time comes the neighbors are more like me and less like the make him pay or burn him at the stake kind.
I did not include any character or relationship description about the neighbor because I think it has no bearing on who should pay. The truth is, after over 25 years we have never had a relationship with him, but my wife and his wife are on cordial terms. Much of this is because of that removed hedge (which was over 20 feet tall and at least 10' thick), which previously totally isolated our properties from each other, and then also because he is not a very social person. Only since the hedge has gone have we had more (and friendly) contact with these neighbors.
This is completely your call so I know whatever I say really has no bearing. But for me what the neighbors are like sways it one way or the other. In my previous sub division I would never let a single one off the hook for anything like this. They were all pompous a**es. Idk if they didn't like a 20 something living there but they were always rude to my wife and I. In my current sub division. Everyone is super friendly and I could see myself letting something like this slide.

Don't know if this has been said. I would just make a claim on insurance, tell them truck ahead shot out small rock. Almost all auto insurers will waive deductible if you go for a crack repair route. If the crack is a big one this would not be advisable. Maybe your neighbor might also pay you some money amount on the side

Thanks to all for the input. The response that the neighbor should pay ran over 80%, split it was mostly the rest. I had the windows replaced this morning - I paid but will give the receipt to the neighbor so he can reimburse us - he has no problem with this arrangement.

The response I liked best was to let him pay but then take him golfing - great idea! Unfortunately I just had a total hip replacement 11 days ago, and golf is not in my near future. Instead I am considering this - I am sodding down my driveway where the mulch we kept on our side of the hedge is now. I already did some raking and smoothing on his side in the bare area where the rocks are while working on mine, and I think I might sod over his area nnear where my wife parks as well (we both have Bermuda grass) which will prevent future rock issues.

Let him pay for it. You have already gone beyond by setting it up at the place that would do it for half the price of the mobile repair.

In regards to deductibles - car is $500 and homeowners is $1000, so insurance will not be involved.

Only go through your homeowners policy for things you can't afford to pay for out of pocket or on a credit card. Homeowner's policy's are subject to 3 strike rules and you don't want to lose coverage over low cost claims.

I would split it. I think for long term relationship that is the best thing. He pays for his mistake still but hopefully realizes that you did him a favor

Would think you're in the right here to ask the neighbor to pay for the damage, especially because you went through the trouble of finding the best price.

Or even saying, "Hey, I appreciate you doing this. It was a little over $300, can you get me 300?"

Thanks to all for the input. The response that the neighbor should pay ran over 80%, split it was mostly the rest. I had the windows replaced this morning - I paid but will give the receipt to the neighbor so he can reimburse us - he has no problem with this arrangement.

The response I liked best was to let him pay but then take him golfing - great idea! Unfortunately I just had a total hip replacement 11 days ago, and golf is not in my near future. Instead I am considering this - I am sodding down my driveway where the mulch we kept on our side of the hedge is now. I already did some raking and smoothing on his side in the bare area where the rocks are while working on mine, and I think I might sod over his area nnear where my wife parks as well (we both have Bermuda grass) which will prevent future rock issues.

Great solution Steve, he totally should have paid for it. All he had to do to prevent this was cut so the clippings were directed to the middle of the lawn. I always cut in that direction so as not to throw clippings into the street nor to throw rocks into any neighbor's cars as they pass by. Just a little forethought would have totally prevented this from happening.

I would normally say your neighbor should pay, but if you are having a hard time with that decision then i suggest go the 50/50 split route and work out details for grass cutting notification similar to your wifes suggestions.

Let them pay, but maybe have them over for dinner some night as a show of "neighborliness".

He did the damage, he should pay to fix the problem. I see no ethics issue here with him owning up to the mistake and making it right.

Back