Ethical type question - please weigh in

Slammin'SAM

Never a flatbelly
Reaction score
Handicap
Rare play
I live in a cul-de-sac, the first house in a court. My neighbor has a corner lot, so his back yard borders my driveway. My wife parks her car in the driveway. Earlier this year the neighbors thankfully removed an unsightly overgrown diseased hedge that for over 25 years had separated our properties, and the ground at the back edge of their yard is still bare.

Thursday morning I walked the dog and passed the car getting the paper at the top of the driveway - nothing was amiss. Then the neighbor came out to mow on his Deere rider. My wife remarked to me that he was mowing in the opposite direction from usual, discharging toward our property. Just after he finished, the mail came and my wife walked up to the mailbox - and came back in fuming. The mower had thrown rocks from the bare area and cracked her driver side front window, and put a dime sized chip in the rear door window. Still angry, she called the neighbor and told him about it, and asked that he either mow in the other direction in the future or to call her when he planned to mow so she could move her car.

Mortified and totally unaware he had damaged her car, he immediately offered to pay for the damage. He told her to call one of the places that come to your home and repair it right there.

I went on-line and quickly got 2 prices from such companies, $598 and $610. I thought that was way high, so I talked to two local nearby glass firms, and got prices of $336 and $332 if we bring it to them (both within 5 miles and 1.5 hrs for the work). I lined up the job with the $332 firm.

THE QUESTION The cost of this job would a burden but not a crusher on our finances, and I know it would be no worse than that for the neighbor. Should I just 1) eat the cost, 2) let him pay for his damage, or 3) perhaps split the cost with the neighbor?

I would appreciate all input from THP'ers, who I know to be morally and ethically grounded - after all we are all golfers, right? (The neighbor is a golfer too).

Let him pay for it. Mistakes happen but your car is damaged because of something he did, albeit unintended.
Sounds like he is being reasonable it.

Your car was in your own driveway. Nothing about this is your fault.

He made a mistake, and I give him credit for manning up and offering to pay.
I'm not up on US insurance, but wouldn't this be covered except for deductible?

At any rate, I'd say either let him pay or split it, in that order. More likely to split it if you see each other socially at all.

Don't see where you eating the cost is right, certainly.

He should pay. I would if I was him and not expect for you to pay at all. She was in your driveway.

Sounds like your on good terms/relationship with your neighbors so I'd take it in & offer to split the cost.
Think that would be a long-term benefit

He made a mistake, and I give him credit for manning up and offering to pay.
I'm not up on US insurance, but wouldn't this be covered except for deductible?

At any rate, I'd say either let him pay or split it, in that order. More likely to split it if you see each other socially at all.

Don't see where you eating the cost is right, certainly.

I'm assuming his deductible is at least 500 and something this small us not worth raising premiums.

In regards to deductibles - car is $500 and homeowners is $1000, so insurance will not be involved.

Wow that is terrible. I am so conscious when cutting the lawn/direction of the blower & what comes out of it that its scary. I often turn mine off when people are walking or cars driving buy. This will be a terrible lesson for thy neighbor as he is responsible for what flies out the shoot from his property. If he went the other direction he could have just as easily broke a house window.

I probably would let the neighbor pay the charges unless you feel otherwise. It is unfortunate and it does happen that's why it will be a hard lesson to learn and never forget. Since you wrote the story I personally won't forget and also be more aware as always. If I was the neighbor I would make sure there are no more rocks that can be thrown.

Maybe he should take to his insurance company.

Good luck

I am a firm believer that you should pay for your mistakes. Unless you two are really good friends and can let it pass then you should have him pay for it.

I'd split it, it's reasonable to ask for him to pay, but I would value the neighborly relationship over the $180.

I would say if you want to alleviate some of the pain, let the insurance cover it and let him pay the deductible. Your insurance rate won't go up to replace glass, or at least it shouldn't, mine never has. Or B let him pay for it. It was an honest mistake, but he's stepped up and said he would cover it with no hassle. Far as I'm concerned those are your two best options. Why would you pay or split, you did absolutely nothing wrong.

He maned up and offered to pay for it, I'd split it with him. Really doesn't have to give you a dime at all. He felt bad and knew he messed up. And I highly doubt he will do it again.

Give him the quote and have him pay for it, but take him golfing in return.
He pays for the mistake he was man enough to own up to, the both of you get a day to golf, and you show that you realize the cost was burdensome and want to thank him for repairing your car.

If responsibility lies in his mowing the lawn caused the damage he should pay. Your well within your right to park your car in your driveway and a prudent person should use common sense to try to not shoot that stuff around. What if it had hit someone in the eye? He's lucky he's not paying medical bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glass coverage in most places does not go use the deductible but you never wanna file a claim with your insurance company unless you need to cause they will always hold it against you.

I would give give him the option of either of being there to pay the person directly when they come to your house. Let him handle the bill.

I'd say he pays for it.

Ya, he's manning up and doing the right thing, to pay for it....As he should.

I would just have him pay for it

Let him pay for it, take him golfing (like another poster said) and then talk to him about splitting the cost of a fence where the hedge was. They say, fences make the best neighbors.

That sucks. I would go option 2 and have him pay. If it's really going to hurt his bank account then I would offer to pay 100 out of my own pocket.

He should pay for it. Maybe next time he will remember to cut where the rocks etc are thrown the other way.

You definitely should not pay half. He did it, he's responsible. I like the ideas about golf and fence, though suggesting the latter could rub him the wrong way after he pays for his mistake - which he obviously isn't going to do again.

IMHO, the fact that he made the offer I would let him know the original quote you received for the places that come visit you (approx. $600) but let him know you felt it could be done cheaper and went to the local shop and got the job done for $300 or so.

He should offer to pay up in full at that point, and I would fully expect him too. If not, and you feel splitting it is fair then by all means split it with him, but I think he should be paying the full fare on this one, especially since your time will be lost getting it repaired.

Let him pay for it. Mistakes happen but your car is damaged because of something he did, albeit unintended.
Sounds like he is being reasonable it.

Your car was in your own driveway. Nothing about this is your fault.

I have to agree. One must be accountable for ones actions......

I'd go visit the neighbor and thank him for offering to pay. I'd let him know that I got 4 quotes... 2 seemed high and 2 seemed more reasonable. I'd give him the quotes and let him know that you chose one of the lower quotes... Let him know the price you decided on and let it go from there...

Back