2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't posted much in general lately due to work but I am feeling a bit disappointed at the moment as I stood on the scales today and I have actually put a few of the pounds back on that I had lost when I started walking back from work. It is disappointing as I expected to have not put anything on with the walking I have been doing although things have been a bit stressful so hoping it is just a temporary blip in the road

So after walking hone from work tonight I got my mountain bike out and went for a quick 4 mile shakedown run to make sure everything was okay and I am planning to cycle to work tomorrow and then take a longer route home to hopefully manage to get 10 miles in for the day

Still really digging the StrongLifts app. They just updated it to include warmup sets. I'm still working on really light weight to focus on technique and I think I'm doing ok on my deadlifts for now. The soreness in my lower back is the good kind of soreness, not like a strain kind of sore.

Last edited:
The last several days have been tough in the T4K household. It has negatively affected my workouts (it is blatantly an excuse but I'm telling myself walking and carrying my bag 3 days in a row substitutes for actual workouts) but I've done a good job of not stress eating, which has been pretty hard.

Back from vacation and now back on the wagon. Pretty easy tonight. Some various tabatas. Back into Crossfit tomorrow.

Any other P90X3ers in here? On week 7. Eccentric Upper, holy crap! I'm doing the mass schedule too, so been doing that workout twice a week. I don't know if I've ever done a workout that burns me out so much.

First Crossfit workout in about a month and I definitely felt it but I also felt good.

Squats
5x135, 5x165, 2x5x185

Met con for time
10 squat clean and jerk 95#
800m run
30 strict alternating db ohp 30#
8:18

I am at a crossroads. I have put a lot of effort into running but it is too darn time consuming. Plus I am enjoying Crossfit more right now. Ugh decisions because I don't have the time to give honest efforts to both in terms of improvement.

I've decided I am giving myself 2 more days of feeling like crap... and then Aug 1 its on.

Yoga, better eating habits, more exercise. This back thing has started bugging me again, and I am really hoping yoga can help alleviate it.

I'm down 7 lbs over the past 2 weeks. Not sure how, but I'm happy with it. Especially with all the travel

yqu4ane3.jpg

Our gym went from art of strength to crossfit a couple months ago, this month marks my one year mark of working out,
its more of a routine now, I hopped on the scale last year and was 4lbs shy of the 300 mark, I'm know down to 235 which is 10lbs heavier than I was my senior year in highs school, the weight loss is one reason I started playing golf again, when i was heavy I didn't think I would be able to swing a club

I have been doing a little homework and think I'll start Stronglifts next week and see where 12 weeks takes me. Need to lose a little of this skinny fat physique and gain back some of the muscle I assume I lost in the weight loss.

At a complete loss as to what to do with diet right now. Even with last week's utter binge I didn't gain a pound. I feel like I'll need to add calories if I'm lifting, but still clueless as to how much and in what fashion.

I have been doing a little homework and think I'll start Stronglifts next week and see where 12 weeks takes me. Need to lose a little of this skinny fat physique and gain back some of the muscle I assume I lost in the weight loss.

At a complete loss as to what to do with diet right now. Even with last week's utter binge I didn't gain a pound. I feel like I'll need to add calories if I'm lifting, but still clueless as to how much and in what fashion.

Stronglifts is good. It is simple and has everything figured out for you just like any plan. There are lot of spreadsheets out there that will do all the calculations for you.

Yea and an app. Plus that meathead blugold does it and look at those thighs.

Yea and an app. Plus that meathead blugold does it and look at those thighs.

Start lower than you think you should. There is no shame in going light because the weight adds up quick.

Follow good form. Don't cheat on the form.

Wife and I are loving DDP yoga. We have been doing it together, following the schedule and we both feel great. Only a few weeks in and already a noticeable difference in flexibility. My back feels great and my shoulder issues from golf seem to be completely gone due to the increased strength and flexibility.

Start lower than you think you should. There is no shame in going light because the weight adds up quick.

Follow good form. Don't cheat on the form.

I know I started with the bar for bench, squat and OHP and 95 for DL. Hawk make sure you do mobility work also or yu will get tight and not recover as well.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Joe, my plan was to start at the zero point basically, even if it is too light at first. It will ease me into it so I don't get all wasted the first two weeks.

As for mobility, that is definitey a concern, so thanks for the reminder. I don't want to lose any of that.

Primary goals are dropping body fat, gaining strength, and maybe some muscle gain by the end. After that I may see what else is out there, but it seems like a great way to get into an easy repeatable resistance program.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Joe, my plan was to start at the zero point basically, even if it is too light at first. It will ease me into it so I don't get all wasted the first two weeks.

As for mobility, that is definitey a concern, so thanks for the reminder. I don't want to lose any of that.

Primary goals are dropping body fat, gaining strength, and maybe some muscle gain by the end. After that I may see what else is out there, but it seems like a great way to get into an easy repeatable resistance program.

I started with a little more than the bar and while I'm still getting over worrying about other folks in the gym seeing a big guy like myself lift such light weight, it is adding up quickly like Blu points out. I'm starting to get to a point where it's not as easy to get all the of the sets in, especially when you're going down really deep past parallel with squats.

I started with a little more than the bar and while I'm still getting over worrying about other folks in the gym seeing a big guy like myself lift such light weight, it is adding up quickly like Blu points out. I'm starting to get to a point where it's not as easy to get all the of the sets in, especially when you're going down really deep past parallel with squats.

My reading sort of indicated that would be the case. It appears the weight, especially with squats, will rack up very quickly. I'm in no huge hurry, so I think that's what I'll do as well.

My reading sort of indicated that would be the case. It appears the weight, especially with squats, will rack up very quickly. I'm in no huge hurry, so I think that's what I'll do as well.

It adds up quickly! Just do the math. Every two weeks (assuming 6 sessions in 14 days) is 30 lbs on the squat!

Make sure to keep golfing even if you're sore. The dynamic movement will be really good for mobility.

Erica is thinking of doing this with me. She's an animal. I just hope I can keep up with her. Not in weight neccessarily, but intensity.

Erica is thinking of doing this with me. She's an animal. I just hope I can keep up with her. Not in weight neccessarily, but intensity.

Just remember that when she is doing squats, her eyes are up here.

not saying - just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back