2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting. I'm almost in same boat as you. High Cholesterol and 40 or more pounds overweight. If you would like a partner I would love to do this with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely, the more the merrier! I can start this weekend is that good for you?

Absolutely, the more the merrier! I can start this weekend is that good for you?

Also going to start something. I actually will be starting a full on Yoga program as well as some cardo daily. I am getting far to big and have lost a ton of flexibility because of it.

Well it's time to make some changes. I went to the doctor today and he told me some things I really didn't want to hear, Cholesterol is high, Cardiac calcium score came back at 124 which means I have heart disease, 20 lbs over weight, diet sucks, lungs are shot, and if I don't make a change I'll be gone in a few years.

The toughest thing is going to be the diet, I love my crap food but not every day, it comes in waves. but when I want it I have to have salt first then sweet. I have a couple snacks laying around I can't find in my heart to throw away and the doc said to finish them up so I will. Golds just opened up the street from me so I'm there tomorrow to begin the journey.

I will make it a point to come here and share some struggles and successes along the way just as you folks have. I've always wanted to go out on m terms but not at this fast a pace lol, time to reverse the clock a little.

It's that fricking sugar bro! That stuff has to be made by the devil him self. It's harder than most illegal drugs to come off of. Good luck and one day at a time. I'm afraid diabetes is right around the corner if I don't kick the sugar. My issue right now is I have hypothyroidism which causes a person to crave sweets. It's a quick fix for low energy but them boom, it kicks ya back on your arse.

Good luck and you got this :thumb:

Now that things are settling down here a bit, it's time to get back to a healthy routine. The Morgan Cup was a turning point for me, I was the heaviest I have ever been, and it was embarrassing, and eye opening. I am completely changing my eating and trying Paleo. I am going super strict for 30 days to see how it goes. I completed day one today, and so far so good. I made "oatmeal" for breakfast without any oats, instead it was acorn squash, cinnamon, coconut flakes and almond butter. It was surprisingly good. I spent a small fortune at Whole Foods and have all my meals and snacks planned out for the week and I will be making most of them tomorrow so I have everything ready to go for the rest of the week. Everything I am reading says that cooking this food ahead of time is the key to success for Paleo.

I am also going to start my workouts again. Back to the yoga and T25 combo.

I am super excited to detox my body of all this processed crap I have been consuming all of these years. Right now I have the sugar shakes (that's what I am calling it), where I am literally detoxing from sugar. OG, you aren't kidding, sugar is a drug, I think the devil just might have created it.

My wife and I did Paleo before our wedding and loved it. I found some great people to follow on Twitter with recepies, tips and general advice. Good luck

My wife and I did Paleo before our wedding and loved it. I found some great people to follow on Twitter with recepies, tips and general advice. Good luck

I am lactose intolerant so I should have cut dairy out of my diet a long time ago. I come from a family with a lot of health issues, the number 1 being diabetes so I should have cut sugar a long time ago too. I really like the idea of clean eating. It's going to be a struggle at first because I have been eating so much sugar lately, but I am looking forward to getting on the right path.

Even though it's crazy expensive, whole foods is where I end up getting all of my snack stuff. Better to spend a bit more money and get the variety I want than resort to eating out of the vending machine at work.

What are some good healthy snacks? are there such things or are they myths?

Some staples for me are yogurt, nuts (almonds mostly), beef jerky, protein shakes/bars (lower sugar and carb versions), and string cheese (can wrap deli meat around it as well)

Even though it's crazy expensive, whole foods is where I end up getting all of my snack stuff. Better to spend a bit more money and get the variety I want than resort to eating out of the vending machine at work.

Agreed! That's why I made the post about doing an indoor hydroponic herb garden. I would love to be able to grow some of this stuff on my own at home, I just don't have a spot outside to do it. I would love to hear from someone who does it indoors with something like the aerogarden.

that's a tough one. I am looking at lots of veggies, a handful of nuts or nut butter. I have been doing a lot of web searching and blog reading to get great ideas on snacks. I am going to make a lot of them this week to see how they turn out. A lot involve turning veggies into 'comfort food'.

I am lactose intolerant so I should have cut dairy out of my diet a long time ago. I come from a family with a lot of health issues, the number 1 being diabetes so I should have cut sugar a long time ago too. I really like the idea of clean eating. It's going to be a struggle at first because I have been eating so much sugar lately, but I am looking forward to getting on the right path.
You can do it and before you know it will become second nature. Stick with it and take it one day at a time it will work.

that's a tough one. I am looking at lots of veggies, a handful of nuts or nut butter. I have been doing a lot of web searching and blog reading to get great ideas on snacks. I am going to make a lot of them this week to see how they turn out. A lot involve turning veggies into 'comfort food'.

Two words: Buffalo cauliflower. Of course, that's only of you're a fan of buffalo sauce.

You can do it and before you know it will become second nature. Stick with it and take it one day at a time it will work.

I am 100% committed. I have been reading about this for a week now, and with the food allergies I have, and other issues I really think it will be a good move for me. I just have to stay committed and not get lazy.

Two words: Buffalo cauliflower. Of course, that's only of you're a fan of buffalo sauce.

I LOVE buffalo sauce.

I am 100% committed. I have been reading about this for a week now, and with the food allergies I have, and other issues I really think it will be a good move for me. I just have to stay committed and not get lazy.

I LOVE buffalo sauce.

Make sure my wife is giving good advice.

I told her about the legend that is Mike Hunt. She laughed.

And if she tells you that steamed carrots smell good at 4AM, she is lying.

Make sure my wife is giving good advice.

I told her about the legend that is Mike Hunt. She laughed.

And if she tells you that steamed carrots smell good at 4AM, she is lying.

Haha, we have been emailing back and forth for a couple of days now. We have also been sharing pins on Pinterest. She is a wealth of knowledge, it's been great talking with her. LOL, she did tell me about how great steamed carrots are.

That reminds me, I need to steam some carrots and other veggies tomorrow. Those make great snacks.

Haha, we have been emailing back and forth for a couple of days now. We have also been sharing pins on Pinterest. She is a wealth of knowledge, it's been great talking with her. LOL, she did tell me about how great steamed carrots are.

You gals love the Pinterest!

She likes helping and researching cause/effects of things.

I should start a diet but I'm enjoying eating and vodka too much. :)

I've got a bunch of recipes from the nutrition program I did (one of which is the buffalo cauliflower). I'll try to get them all in a google document or something and post them here.

Easygoing day at the gym. Now that I'm cutting back on golf, I have more time to get in the gym. Mostly spent today reacquainting myself with some Olympic lifts and multi-joint movements. Less weight, more focused on technique. Deadlifts at 305, squat cleans at 185, snatch at 95, and sets of 3 kipping muscle-ups.

From there, some chest & triceps. I've got a PT test coming up in the next month or two, so I need to get back to pushups and situps. Not to mention running. Yuck.

Don't cheat your form to complete the sets. Keep in mind that there's no shame in failing a set. Be safe. Don't push things too far. If your rep speed starts slowing down to the point of struggle, rack the bar. Live to lift another day.

Tried the cardio plan you talked about. Sprints instead of constant heart rate over time. I thought I was going to fall out on the treadmill today. Fun times.

Tried the cardio plan you talked about. Sprints instead of constant heart rate over time. I thought I was going to fall out on the treadmill today. Fun times.

Hahaha. You're welcome!

Got the kids put to bed and headed out the door at 8pm for my first night of stronglifts last night. I was feeling a little hesitant - just hate going in to something I don't know a ton about, but I figured it would get easy quick, especially since I was going with low weight to start.

Got myself all pumped up and there's a big sign on the gym "Closed for sprucing up unitl 8/10/14". Eff you gym. They always do stuff like that.

Got the kids put to bed and headed out the door at 8pm for my first night of stronglifts last night. I was feeling a little hesitant - just hate going in to something I don't know a ton about, but I figured it would get easy quick, especially since I was going with low weight to start.

Got myself all pumped up and there's a big sign on the gym "Closed for sprucing up unitl 8/10/14". Eff you gym. They always do stuff like that.
Wtf is a sprucing?

That sucks dude.

Hell if I know. I'm dropping those jacka$$es. Only good things about that place is how close it is to the house. I'm going to check out a new place this week I think.

"Sprucing up" ?!

Wtf does that even mean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back