Bridgestone J40 Cavity Back Irons

For my Morgan Cup scoring irons, the 8, 9, and PW will be the J40 Cavity Back irons, shafted with the Dynamic Gold S400 shafts. Bridgestone has opted to bring out the combo set and I think for a certain level of golfer, it will be very beneficial. I always try to find the clubs that miss the best for me, but where I am and expect to be in July, I'll need scoring irons that respond exactly how I hit them, and I think the CBs will be perfect.

Very excited to bring them into my bag this year.

Glad you went this direction Dan, you have the ball striking ability to play these cb's. Will be a fantastic combo set.

For my Morgan Cup scoring irons, the 8, 9, and PW will be the J40 Cavity Back irons, shafted with the Dynamic Gold S400 shafts. Bridgestone has opted to bring out the combo set and I think for a certain level of golfer, it will be very beneficial. I always try to find the clubs that miss the best for me, but where I am and expect to be in July, I'll need scoring irons that respond exactly how I hit them, and I think the CBs will be perfect.

Very excited to bring them into my bag this year.

I decided the same. I went CB's in 8,9,PW as well. More so just to have a closer feel to my current setup and usually don't have much issue finding the sweet spot on the scoring irons I'm excited I decided to go this route. I was himming and hawing quite a bit.

I am gaming a set of the CB's right now and was seconds away from pulling the trigger on them for the MC. The deciding factor came this week when I was 120 yds short of the green and I missed the sweet spot with a PW and came up just short. Who would say no to some added forgiveness? Luckily I will have a set of CB's as a reminder of how awesome they truly are.

I ended up ordering the Cavity Backs in the 5-PW for my Morgan Cup bag. My fitter really wanted me to go CB in the 3 and 4 as well as he thought it would help me keep my ball flight down. He may have a point, but I opted for the 3 and 4 in the DPCs for the added forgiveness. I weakend the lofts in the 3 and 4 1* to help with gaps.

As far as shafts go, I ended up going with KBS Tour X flex tipped 1/4". As a testament to how ridiculous I am, the C-Tapers did not do much to lower my launch. That, plus the C-Tapers just feel too harsh to me, the fitter suggested that tipping the Tours will help lower my launch a bit and help me to keep the ball flight down.

I ended up ordering the Cavity Backs in the 5-PW for my Morgan Cup bag. My fitter really wanted me to go CB in the 3 and 4 as well as he thought it would help me keep my ball flight down. He may have a point, but I opted for the 3 and 4 in the DPCs for the added forgiveness. I weakend the lofts in the 3 and 4 1* to help with gaps.

As far as shafts go, I ended up going with KBS Tour X flex tipped 1/4". As a testament to how ridiculous I am, the C-Tapers did not do much to lower my launch. That, plus the C-Tapers just feel too harsh to me, the fitter suggested that tipping the Tours will help lower my launch a bit and help me to keep the ball flight down.

Jeez, x flex and tipped? What kind of swing speed you working with?

Jeez, x flex and tipped? What kind of swing speed you working with?

102 with the 5 iron. I have a very hard transition. Ernie Els I am not haha

102 with the 5 iron. I have a very hard transition. Ernie Els I am not haha

Very impressive. haha, it must work for you though so why try to be like Ernie?

I was fitted in to stiff flex tours tipped, but I think it was due to my transition, my swing speed isn't all that high.

That was with a Mizuno shaft optimizer.

I like the shafts.

Very impressive. haha, it must work for you though so why try to be like Ernie?

I was fitted in to stiff flex tours tipped, but I think it was due to my transition, my swing speed isn't all that high.

That was with a Mizuno shaft optimizer.

I like the shafts.

Totally agree with you, the KBS Tours are solid shafts. The C-Tapers on paper would work better for me, but they don't.

So the last few times out at the range bringing my CB 6 iron and working with it I've been paying attention to turf interaction as my buddy who's pondering a set of these was asking me about it. I started to really pay attention to the interaction between this 6 iron and my ACP 6 iron. I absolutely prefer the turf interaction of the J40 over the ACP. I gotta be honest it's not something I've ever paid much attention to with any club before being asked about. The J40 makes a much more swallow divot than the ACP. The ACP has a more rounded sold at the bottom or appears to, to me. I take a pretty consistent divot every time and I noticed the ACP's are much deeper of a divot. The more time I spent comparing the 2 I definitely prefer the more shallow divot of the J40. It just seems to glide through the turf much much smoother. I'm really looking forward to gaming a full set of combo J40. I feel like the scoring irons will be phenomenal with this type of interaction.

Pretty sure the J40 CB pitching wedge and I will be getting along just perfectly.

y4a5u2ym.jpg

10 full shots, and 600 80 yard punches.

#JimmysRangeRoutine
#Confusing
#Effective

Hahaha thanks buddy! Gotta work on every shot with every club to have everything in the bag!

Well what ever you are doing seems to work. Hope some of our stuff makes the videos. It was great being able to match shots with you all afternoon
Hahaha thanks buddy! Gotta work on every shot with every club to have everything in the bag!

Glad to see so much love still coming for the Bridgestone CB irons. I am still in love with mine and have no plans on switching them out any time soon.

Well what ever you are doing seems to work. Hope some of our stuff makes the videos. It was great being able to match shots with you all afternoon

I hope so too Freddie. That was so much fun for me to be able to hang in there with you for 18 holes. I know a few holes we had the cameras rolling on us so I'm excited to see what made the cut.

I had so much fun playing my combo set this weekend.
Glad to see so much love still coming for the Bridgestone CB irons. I am still in love with mine and have no plans on switching them out any time soon.

I have always liked the idea of a combo set I find the CBs to have enough forgiveness in them that I am able to even hit my long irons well. Freddie did you find more of a distance gap going from your 6 to 7 iron since the DPC and CB lofts are different from set to set?

Loved these. They did exactly what I wanted all weekend and fit perfectly in with the DPCs in the combo set I gamed at the Morgan Cup. The white ferules were a fantastic touch as well, paired with the S400 shafts. These are locked into the gamer bag for a while!

ra9ahe4y.jpg

Loved these. They did exactly what I wanted all weekend and fit perfectly in with the DPCs in the combo set I gamed at the Morgan Cup. The white ferules were a fantastic touch as well, paired with the S400 shafts. These are locked into the gamer bag for a while!

ra9ahe4y.jpg

these and the DPCs are just stunning looking irons

Oh these are a blast to hit! I can't wait to get them in the course.....can't freaking wait!

Oh these are a blast to hit! I can't wait to get them in the course.....can't freaking wait!

My man Kevin. Giving some J40 love. Love it dude. I could see you hammering these sticks.

Back