The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

Wait what? Did I miss something? Bridgestone is sending the staffers the next line as well?? If so that is just mind blowing how much they outdid themselves this year!
Absolutely! Ill keep saying over and over, Bridgestone rocked it from start to end. Huge shout out to Josh and Lauren at the MC, and the rest of Team BSG!

Question for the participants. How many of you are making a permanent switch to your MC clubs? If just a subset of them which ones?

The better majority of the equipment is in my bag for the foreseeable future (testing aside, of course). I was able to pay forward a piece of equipment to a volunteer which was very cool.

Oh, and the balls. They are the best on the market, and they have my name on them. I'll be playing them until forever.

Question for the participants. How many of you are making a permanent switch to your MC clubs? If just a subset of them which ones?

I'll be playing the vast majority of my clubs, if not all. If anything, I might tweak lofts a bit in the same club models.

13/14 will be full time. Putter I'm still debating on. It was a really good putter to me but the grooved insert was making the ball come off faster than I was expecting and I admittedly struggled with my speed. I just need to spend more time with it to get used to it before I make a full decision. Those other 13 though, I really enjoyed their performance. They treated me incredibly well, but I need to figure out how far I hit the darn things, this time without adrenaline.

13 clubs staying in play for now, I will be going back to SPI method with a seemore putter, but the rest is staying.

Most defiantly will be playing my new clubs. I had used clubs and they were starting to fall apart so this will be great for me.

Once you guys see the Srixon equipment you will see why this is sticking in my bag for a long time. Driver = Long. Irons = new technology (and just darn pretty to look at). Wedges - best I've played to date.

Putter is the only thing that probably isn't staying HOWEVER, I came away from the smart square very impressed; more so than what I expected. The squares work, flat out work and I was skeptical. And the ball rolls very very well off the face. I'm keeping the putter around for when I think my alignment is maybe off with my SeeMore putter but since going to the SPi and the SeeMore event, I'm sticking with it for awhile.

Putter is the only thing that probably isn't staying HOWEVER, I came away from the smart square very impressed; more so than what I expected. The squares work, flat out work and I was skeptical. And the ball rolls very very well off the face. I'm keeping the putter around for when I think my alignment is maybe off with my SeeMore putter but since going to the SPi and the SeeMore event, I'm sticking with it for awhile.
The putt you made on 4 was the best I witnessed of the weekend.

I will be making the permanent switch to my MC bag. The Bio Cell line from Cobra is awesome, so easy to hit and the forgiveness is amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Irons and wedges yes

Maybe irons with graphite shafts though, not sure.

Driver and 3 wood didnt win me over, so will take more time

I'm still trying to digest everything that happened over the last weekend and still can't fully put it all together. Whenever I think I've got everything sorted out I remember 10 more things that happened that made the experience even more amazing. The list of people to thank, all of the AMAZING people I got to meet for the first time, the comradery, the ups and downs of the day one matches, the emotion of the singles matches. It's really way too much.
I'm not the most emotional person when it comes to things, but as I type this I find myself getting choked up just thinking about all of it. Ok....I'm lying, I'm sobbing like a child with a skinned knee right now. Thank God I'm at home and not at work. Mentally and physically I'm drained right now. 6-7 months ago I had no idea what this event was about, nor did I understand anything that was going on. As I was playing this weekend, it really seemed like just the most amazing golf weekend with 40 of my best friends. But today when I woke up in my own bed I realized it was so much more than that. I now get what the veterans were talking about and why people were as impassioned as they about this event.
Just so many great stories came out of this weekend. Some of them caught on film, others that weren't. Thank you Josh and Morgan for making this happen. As I told Canadan, Amart and Neb on Sunday, this is was the most amazing thing I've ever been a part of that didn't involve family or some sort of life milestone. I'd love to do a full recap, but there's still way too much left to recollect on. I will say this, this message board became a lot more than just a place to spend a couple hours a day after this.

I'm so happy to see you post this. Big events like this (this one kind of stands on its own) are overwhelming but so awesome. I remember seeing you on 14 at True Blue locked into an intense match with Castor but you looked like you were having the time of your life. It was so great to see. I know you played your heart out in every match--I'm so proud of you. And yes, I'm smiling as I'm typing this.

I've got a few more days to process things before I get to a proper keyboard and lay it all out, but right now I'm still such a big pile of emotions. I'm really content, but eager for a new challenge. Not just for golf, but life in general. This event was such a shot in the arm for me, something I badly needed. It's not a stretch to say this changed my life. Eventually I'll get into the particulars of the matches and gush about my wonderful teammate and captain Donne, but that's for another day. For right now I'm just trying to ride the feelings of what a wonderful event I was lucky enough to take part in.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

I'm nowhere near a recap either--still too much to process. I'm still riding the high but starting to feel the inevitable letdown creeping in. Reading everyone's posts over the next few weeks and with the recaps coming later, I'm happy that the MC will continue to be at the forefront of my thoughts. Great meeting you, Steve. Hope to see you again at another THP event, brother.

So for the past week I have gotten up at 530am EST and now I am back at home here on the West Coast and I cannot sleep. 430am here and I am wide awake. You listen to the Vets about how you will feel after this event but it is way worse than I could have expected. I would love to be sitting in my Villa right now with my team Drinking a cup of coffee with them getting ready for the day instead of doing this by myself. #INeedAHug

I'm with you, dude. It was weird waking up today and heading to work. It was so much better getting up and prepped for matches.

For those struggling with the MC hangover: everyone deals with it in a different way. Some people struggle with the motivation to do anything golf-related at all. Others want to get right back out onto the course to try to relive the memories or continue with their good play from the weekend. But whatever you do, do it in your own way. It's just like anything in life that you concentrate on for months, there's a natural feeling of "what do I do now?" when it's all over. Couple that with the fact that you don't live close to the majority of people that you met this past weekend, and it's tough. But no one can take last weekend away from you, and knowing that you were able to play on such a stage will help your game in the future.

Great post, Ary. I was ready to tee it up again on Sunday. Hate that it's over, but we will always have those memories. Getting the high of being in competition again was something special.

I will definitely be using my MC clubs for a while to update the threads with my thoughts, etc. I know my J40 wedges will be in the bag long term, along with the driver. I love the J40 combo set I went with--just need to get adjusted to difference in distance compared to the Apex.

Almost all of them. Driver, woods, hybrids and irons are all head and shoulders above my prior bag.

I love the wedges I played this weekend, but I'm going to have to see how the higher bounce they have plays on tighter lies and harder sand back home before I guarantee a switch. I may aim for a sale / trade to get something with a lower bounce.

As for putter, I love the mxm 6, I really do. I'm going to give it and honest go. But I can't say I'm married to a particular putter in the long term. Though its increased versatility gives it a leg up on the competition.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

For the Cleveland/Srixon golfers, are you allowed to play the super secret clubs in public before they are released? It would seem to me if the NDA prevents you from talking about it, then Joe Average who happens to be on the course at the same time can't get a first look at those either?

Most defiantly will be playing my new clubs. I had used clubs and they were starting to fall apart so this will be great for me.

No more stone wedge??!!

For the Cleveland/Srixon golfers, are you allowed to play the super secret clubs in public before they are released? It would seem to me if the NDA prevents you from talking about it, then Joe Average who happens to be on the course at the same time can't get a first look at those either?

To answer your question, yes we can play them now. Keith and Cleveland/Srixon didn't want us posting pictures and information about it on "social" outlets till the release. But for the most part 99% of the golfers out there that we will play with from now till the release wouldn't even know what to do with a picture of 'em even if they took it in the first place.

Driver, 3w, 5h, apex irons and MD2 is already in my stand bag. Really the only non-Callaway club is my SeeMore.

I will be gaming my clubs for the foreseeable future.

I had a nearly identical set thanks to Callaway at the Grandaddy. The not difference is that I had a BB 5W and X2Hot 4h instead of an X2Hot 3h and an Apex 4i in the Grandaddy set.

I kept the 5W and 4h in the current set. I think they fit better for my game. I don't think I'll be pulling these from the bag for a while, but you never know when someone hangs out on THP.

I will be gaming my clubs for the foreseeable future.

I had a nearly identical set thanks to Callaway at the Grandaddy. The not difference is that I had a BB 5W and X2Hot 4h instead of an X2Hot 3h and an Apex 4i in the Grandaddy set.

I kept the 5W and 4h in the current set. I think they fit better for my game. I don't think I'll be pulling these from the bag for a while, but you never know when someone hangs out on THP.
That 5w better not leave your bag anytime soon the way you made sweet love to it on Caledonia on Saturday afternoon. You and that club are a perfect match.

That 5w better not leave your bag anytime soon the way you made sweet love to it on Caledonia on Saturday afternoon. You and that club are a perfect match.

The BB 5W is special. We're going to do some really nice things together.

Driver, 3w, 5h, apex irons and MD2 is already in my stand bag. Really the only non-Callaway club is my SeeMore.

Which is kind of comical considering how well you rolled that Odyssey. Maybe it should take a run at CanaBag this week!

I'll be playing my MC clubs for quite some time. The only switch I might go for is swapping out a wedge when a certain time comes...

Most all of mine will stay. I was fortunate enough to be able to game some Bridgestone equipment prior to the Morgan Cup, but thanks to some pretty special guys who helped me with shaft recommendations after a botched fitting, I didn't know how good these clubs would be until I got the fitted set. The Fuji Fuel in my driver and Motore Speeder in my 4 wood really woke these clubs up for the type of game I play. The KBS Tour 90 shafts in the irons were just perfect and helped to promote the tempo that works best for my slower swing speed. Oh, one other thing.....those wedges. I hit some of the best bunker shots of my life this past weekend.

I am going to work quite a bit with the hybrids and see. The True Balance Putter is staying in for a while as well. Gonna ride it until the local Senior Publinks in October.

JM

A month or so ago I decided to add another day to my vacation and take today off. So glad too. After the long drive yesterday I could sleep in a little and spend the morning reflecting and catching up on everything. Every time I sit down and recall things something else pops up that I remember. That's why they are called memories I guess and these particular memories will be with me forever!

This event, this Ultimate Golf Event Period, changes things. I will have more in my re-cap, but things are different. Is lunch time here in Memphis and I would give anything to be with all of you having a bite to eat before heading out for some fun, fellowship and golf either here:

20140723_191422_1_zpszslimrdz.jpg

Or here:

20140724_081146_1_zps66bfw6ps.jpg

Cannot wait to see each of you again at an event or gathering soon.

JM

A month or so ago I decided to add another day to my vacation and take today off. So glad too. After the long drive yesterday I could sleep in a little and spend the morning reflecting and catching up on everything. Every time I sit down and recall things something else pops up that I remember. That's why they are called memories I guess and these particular memories will be with me forever!

This event, this Ultimate Golf Event Period, changes things. I will have more in my re-cap, but things are different. Is lunch time here in Memphis and I would give anything to be with all of you having a bite to eat before heading out for some fun, fellowship and golf either here:

20140723_191422_1_zpszslimrdz.jpg

Or here:

20140724_081146_1_zps66bfw6ps.jpg

Cannot wait to see each of you again at an event or gathering soon.

JM

Great to finally meet you, Mr. Mojo. No words to describe how much fun I had hanging with you and everyone this past week on and off the course. I'm dying here as well--I've got a ton of work to do, but no motivation--I can only think about the MC.

Glad to see you putting that App to work!

Back