Finally the Deed is Done

Slammin'SAM

Never a flatbelly
Reaction score
Handicap
Rare play
Just over 2 years after I first started having hip problems, the deed is done! Last Tuesday I had THR (Total Hip Replacement) surgery and finally took the big step toward getting my life back. Part of that life will be golf, I hope, as I have not played golf since about Labor Day 2012.

It took so long to get the THR. I was unemployed after my job of 34 years ended at the end of 2011, when I had the twinges from the right hip. What I thought was a pulled groin muscle for months, finally flared up so badly in June 2012 that I went to the doctor, who diagnosed the badly arthritic hip. That same month I began a new job, so I started building leave time to get the THR. In January 2013 I got referred to an orthopedic doctor, who brought the anterior approach THR to this area. I was confident I had found the right surgeon, and hoped to hold out to the fall to have minimally enough leave time to do it. Fall finally came, but a trip to the dentist found gingivitis lurking in my gums, and I had to go through more months of cleanings and two oral procedures, when at last in mid-May I got the all-clear. Then it was just a matter of getting the hip surgery scheduled - and by not taking a single minute off in my first two years on my job, I had built nearly 8 weeks of sick and vacation leave.

The surgery was a breeze, and I was discharged the following day. Surgery was Tuesday, and today (Saturday) I can walk unaided already, though I will mostly use my walker for safety. I expect to graduate to my cane within days, and I don't see any way I will miss more than 3 weeks of work.

Golf is down the road. I made the decision when I stopped golf that I would not return until I was completely healed and walking at full normalcy and strength. The thought of returning to the game is a powerful motivator for me to rehab this leg. I have to say since I quit playing I missed golf far less than I imagined I would, but the idea of returning is enthralling. I will post more on that when the time gets near.

Glad to hear you're doing well, best of luck Sam!

Congats! We look forward to your updates!

Glad things went so well Sam, its amazing how far things have come, up and at-em' already is awesome!

Congratulations Sam...best of luck for a continued easy recovery

Glad your recovery is going so well. Please keep us posted, I know I'm gonna have to have this done too one day but hope to put it off till I'm at least 50 and 50lbs lighter.

That's awesome man. Good luck!

Awesome to hear! Wishing you the best down the road

Wish you the best!!

*EDIT - Just an quick update...

I ditched the walker by Sunday, 5 days after the surgery. I never took a pain pill after I left the hospital, and never had pain issues. I walked with the cane for about a week, but by the second weekend I was beginning to negotiate around the house pretty well unaided. I put the cane away for good on Sunday, 12 days after the surgery.

I still have a little thigh muscle soreness which is slow to dissipate I am told, a result of the stresses that are put on it turning the leg during the surgery. The leg is weak and I still tire fairly easily, but today I had my first PT session which gave me new exercises that I believe will fix those issues shortly. Golf is probably no sooner than mid-September, but I got the go-ahead to putt and chip today. Now I know a bit of what Tiger felt a short time ago - WOO-HOO!

For anyone having hip issues and might be a candidate for THR - do find a surgeon using the anterior approach. This surgery seems almost miraculous in quality of life improvement and in ease and speed of recovery.

*EDIT - perhaps I should throw in - the doctor gave me literally no restrictions. I can sleep and move any way I can tolerate (I have been sleeping on that side already for days) which is nice after reading all this stuff about having to sleep on your back for 12 weeks. I was able to take a shower Thursday night 2 days after the surgery. I can already walk better than I was walking before the surgery, with absolutely no pain in the joint, the only pain just slight muscle soreness, less that what a good workout might give a healthy person.

Great to see this Steve, I was in Myrtle Beach when the OP was posted and did not know about the surgery. Looks like we will be teeing the ball up again sometime soon. :thumb:

good to hear you are making a speedy recovery

Fantastic. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Your short game should be in good shape when you are ready to go full swing!

Congats! We look forward to your updates!

Here's the latest update. Today I went for my last post-op check, 5 weeks exactly since the surgery. The surgeon felt the height (or levelness) of my pelvis bone on my sides - very level - then had me walk up and down the hall while he watched - no limp. I could tell by his big smile he was as pleased with this outcome as I am. He asked if I had any soreness, and I told him only when I sit or bend over at the waist for any length of time, then the first few steps afterward are a bit weak. He said he calls that 'start-up' pain, due to swelling still deep in the soft tissue that will subside with more time.

Then he said I am released! He said he didn't want me running marathons, or really not even jogging (don't worry - I have never been a runner/jogger), but he said I am free to ride a bike, swim, play tennis, and GOLF:bananadance:!

It is gonna be like 99° here the next few days, so I may wait a bit longer, but needless to say the old clubs are gonna get the dust off soon.

Congrats Sam....hoping you get back on the course very soon !

This is great to hear. Look forward to hear how your first round back hours. Congrats on a great rehab.

Back