Is Adjustability in New Clubs Cheating????

Drogster

Reaction score
Handicap
???
I met an old golfing buddy of my father and I at the range this evening and he was inspecting my X2Hot driver, and focused on the adjustment cogs. I gave him the opportunity hit a few shots and afterwards we discussed how the technology in the design of clubs and shafts.

In conclusion he was of the opinion that adjustability is a method of cheating rather than working on getting the swing technique right.

My counter argument was that as a hacker/amateur golfer, Golf is an enormously difficult game, so why not make it that bit more easier, if possible, within the rules of the game, and enjoy the game rather than overcomplicating and overanalysing each shot and taking the fun out of it.

In saying that, I have no problem putting in the time and practice to improve my golf, put at this time of my life, when I‘ve just finished building a new house and getting married in September (The weekend of the Ryder Cup …D’oh…talk about bad planning!), it is not always possible to do so. (Next spring it’s going to be full head on to make up for lost time).

Anyway we shook hands and wished each other and families best wishes and went on our way.

Maybe this topic has been discussed before, but I’m curious on what’s your thinking?

Every swing is different. It's an easy fitting tool.

Someone calling it cheating is ridiculous

Not cheating. I have new fangled adjustable clubs, yet I still need to make a good swing to get the ball to go in the desired direction.

If it is cheating then so is adjusting the lie angle of irons, using different shafts etc etc etc.

Funny because I've had thoughts about this recently. I definitely don't think it's cheating and I'm all for anything that makes the game easier but I've been playing my driver at neutral with the thinking that if I go left or right its because of my swing and I'll know what I did.

Seeing that per the rules once the round is started that you aren't allowed to adjust your adjustable clubs, no it isn't cheating. Like JRod said, it's a easier fitting tool.

Adjustable clubs don't make a bad golfer a good golfer.

Following that philosophy, using any equipment upgrade in the last 100 years is cheating

If it is cheating then so is adjusting the lie angle of irons, using different shafts etc etc etc.

I agree with Mr. Clint on this.

It's a fitting tool. Golfers are not built the same. No reason for every club to be built the same.

It's about as much cheating as buying a 10.5º driver instead of a 9.5º driver.

No, it's not cheating, unless you change it mid-round. I adjust mine once a year, usually after my first month of playing. As others have said, it allows one to 'tweak' a driver to better fit them.

~Rock

The only way this technology is cheating is if you make any changes during a round.

We now live in an age of instant gratification, your dads "old buddy" does not. Virtually anything is available on line instantly with a tap or two. Now, with a simple twist of a wrench, we can increase/decrease the loft of a driver and get an immediate increase in distance or tighter dispersion that the "old buddy" had to work on for years.

Can't blame his attitude or comments at all........

Adjustable clubs don't make a bad golfer a good golfer.

Exactily.

you should of then asked him if he still uses his Persimmons.

There's no cheating in an adjustable club unless it's in between rounds. Would you rather own 4 drivers with lofts 8.5, 9.5, 10.5, and 11.5? Or own 1? What about one that's more draw biased and another fade biased? How about 1. All the adjustable driver did was more accurately dial in what that specific person needs. Touring pros have the option of trying multiple drivers to dial themselves in. The adjustable driver basically gives us the same thing.

I think it allows amatures to get a better fit driver close to what the pros already have because of the tour van

I have yet to see such technology, or adjustability that would make a bad swing good. Not cheating.

I wish that someone would have told me that hitting that nice high draw was as easy as increasing the loft and using the draw setting...

I wish that someone would have told me that hitting that nice high draw was as easy as increasing the loft and using the draw setting...

I'll take the high fade over the high draw any day of the week. The difference being, a ball that's hit solid and still fades instead of a weak glancing blow fade that goes nowhere.

Well, the biggest word in my original post, I think, was “Old” buddy. We played golf, along with my father over 20 years ago, when I was in my teens and he wasn’t young back then.

My second comment to him during our discussion, as already posted by Ndfan301, was that it is not cheating as you had to select your setting before the round of golf commenced. I also mentioned, as posted by JRod, that is was a method of fine tuning the club to suit the individuals swing, as we all have different swing characteristics.

But, as I mentioned he is an old buddy with an oldschool way off thinking. To his credit, in his heyday, he was playing off either scratch or +1.

So I wasn’t really arguing with him, more enlightening him of the wonders of new technology.

The way I see it is a great way to buy an off the rack club and adjust it to fit your swing instead of having to custom order something. It keeps the SKUs down which in turn keeps the prices down (well relative). Could you imagine how much a Taylor Made driver would cost if Taylor Made produced a different driver for every configuration one can get from an adjustable driver!

Unless you make changes during a round it's not cheating. Another thing I noticed s that most people once they find a setting that works for them they don't make a change the rest of the time they own the club. Also with drivers like the R1 there were so many settings that unless you know what you are doing with each adjustment you could counter one adjustment with another. I guess with his way of thinking using a GPS instead of walking off distance from a yardage marker is cheating too.

Definitely not cheating unless you change the settings during the round. I would be that most players don't adjust their clubs all that often.

Adjustability is a fitting and inventory reducing tool. In the old days you had to have completely built clubs to test out different head and shaft combinations. This was expensive for shops and probably resulted in a less than ideal fitting and a wait for your new club. Today a shop has a head or two a bunch of shafts and the ability to change weight, loft, lie, shaft, etc very quickly to get you out of the store with a new purchase.

not cheating. I think he was giving you a hard time by saying that it was cheating. jealousy is something else....

Back