Recap Thread - 2014 Morgan Cup

Adam....I can't believe I'm about to say this but....you are one cool dude and have so much to offer. So glad we road in the same bus to MB this year. The ending was well worth the wait my friend.

Please tell me you kept your ongoing match score sheets....

You needed a slide rule and a Masters in Engineering to figure out what was going on there.

Haha. I think JB called it a map of Vietnam at one point.

Haha. I think JB called it a map of Vietnam at one point.
She had a system, and stuck to it, but I definitely thought we were going to have to get her more paper on Sunday.

My Dad -You've always been my biggest supporter. You were gone 4 days a week putting food on the table, clothes on my back and everything a kid of the 80's and 90's could ever want. For those who don't know, my dad was an over the road truck driver for 51 years. But no matter where you were in the country, you always found a way to get to the big events. Including this past weekend. At a young age I pestered you to let me learn how to golf. FINALLY at 11 you took me for my first lesson. It was a cold rainy day and for the life of me I can't remember the name of my instructor. I do remember that he was probably older than the city we lived in and likely had no business being outside in that kind of weather. The only thing I remember about that lesson his actually getting to your golf clubs and buying a range mat for the back yard so I could practice. They were Wilson 1200 GEs. Steel headed woods and irons that weighed a ton. Every time I come over to the house I can't help but picking one of those clubs up and remembering spending hours in the back yard or at the range swinging those clubs in every kind of weather imaginable. I wanted to learn how to play golf for no other reason than to play with you. While we haven't played nearly as many rounds as I would have liked, you've always been on the course with me. You've been through a lot in the past 15 years. There were times where I wasn't sure if I would have the chance to talk to you the next day. I watched you recover from quadruple bypass, cancer, fight diabetes and all of the bad that comes with it. But every time you bounced back stronger than ever. When I got back into the game of golf you were again my biggest supporter. I called you after every round to tell you how I did. The best gift that this game has given me was the day you asked me to take you shopping for your first set of clubs in 30 years. I think I was more excited than you were. I did all of the research narrowed it down to a set of Adams A12 OS. You hadn't picked up a club since I got married (almost 10 years at that time) and after a few swings you were getting the ball airborne. You signed up for lessons that day as well and I made sure to schedule my lessons right before or after yours. When I was picked for this event you were the first person I called to tell and I think you were more excited than I was. Every day we would talk you would ask me if anything new was going on with the event and how my game was coming along. I was so excited when you said you were going to come down and watch me play. Sharing this past weekend with was something I would never trade for all of the money in the world. It was beyond words to look up and see the look on your face after I hit a shot. I felt like I was 17 again and looking up into the stands to try and find you and mom after scoring. I enjoyed watching you interact with the people I had spent the last 6 months forming a lifetime bond with. I enjoyed even more hearing from everyone, "Adam! You're dad is awesome, man." It wasn't the first time I've heard it. I think you were more popular in college than I was. You've always been my hero and my inspiration.
You're a good dude Adam; and I loved seeing you embrace the event like you did.

Not only was your dad awesome, here are two quick things about your father that I loved. One morning, I believe Sunday morning, Josh was sitting in the hallway of True Blue between the snack bar and the pro shop. Myself, Morgan, Trisha, and possibly some volunteers were going over a few things. As he walked by, he pointed to the huge painting on the wall above were Josh was sitting and said: "we're taking enemy fire from here, here, and here" while pointing to different areas of the painting. It was a metaphor that made sense, and it made us smile.

The other was Saturday morning as Josh and I moved between the 2nd green and the 3rd tee, the cart girl approached your group after teeing off on 3. She looked at your dad and said "another coffee?" (you know, it could've been tea, but for the purposes of this post, coffee works better) He of course said yes...and I thought: coffee from the cart girl? That takes some swagger.

We crossed paths with him multiple times throughout the three rounds, and he always had a smile and a quick-witted one-liner. I'm glad you got to share this experience with him.

Ok I have gone back and forth whether to do this, but felt video was better to truly convey my thoughts. I hope I'm uploading this correctly.

https://vimeo.com/102261564

Well… for starters this was my third MC, and the one I will remember most! Where else can I get hugs from multiple men and my husband not care ha ha!! I love seeing each year how a random group of strangers can turn into family in a matter of a few days, each wanting to win, but at the same time cheering on their competitors.
Every year I am also treated like one of the family and not just one of the wives, and this means so much.
I wouldn't consider myself a volunteer, more like Morgan's side kick! Those volunteers worked their butts off this past weekend and the fruit of their labor shows! I had the privilege of helping Morgan last year, and decided to help again, and couldn't have asked for a better time! Man were we trouble this year with all our jokes and pranks. :) Thank you to everyone that has mentioned me, it was an honor to watch every up and down and the emotions that ensued.
I have made so many friends over the past three years, and that is truly priceless!
Now dammit Canadan….. Where is my slushy!

I don't believe I got to thank you for all your hard work and keeping Erik grounded throughout the journey. Then again maybe I did midst all the excitement. So THANK YOU!

Adam I have to say that your dad was awesome. I recall on 17 on Sunday he allowed me to jump in his cart for a ride. In those 20 mins together I saw and learned about a man who sees so much good in you. I saw the same in him. Please send my thanks to him for that brief time we shared together! The stories he told were amazing!

Leave it to a nurse to make something so cryptic only she can read it. It's ok I translated it for Josh :)

Well… for starters this was my third MC, and the one I will remember most! Where else can I get hugs from multiple men and my husband not care ha ha!! I love seeing each year how a random group of strangers can turn into family in a matter of a few days, each wanting to win, but at the same time cheering on their competitors.
Every year I am also treated like one of the family and not just one of the wives, and this means so much.
I wouldn't consider myself a volunteer, more like Morgan's side kick! Those volunteers worked their butts off this past weekend and the fruit of their labor shows! I had the privilege of helping Morgan last year, and decided to help again, and couldn't have asked for a better time! Man were we trouble this year with all our jokes and pranks. :) Thank you to everyone that has mentioned me, it was an honor to watch every up and down and the emotions that ensued.
I have made so many friends over the past three years, and that is truly priceless!
Trisha, you and Erik are so awesome. It was awesome meeting you guys this week. I know you and Morgan had fun but don't downplay it. You worked your tail off. It did not go unnoticed or unappreciated.

Trisha, you're an amazing woman, and it was an honor to meet and spend some quality time with you and Erik. Thank you for all you did for us!

I am what some would call a "fan" of team Dokken. You two are awesome! !!!

Mike - you certainly did the Morgan Cup and THP justice...and a whole lot more. Thank you, and it was wonderful meeting you!

Ok I have gone back and forth whether to do this, but felt video was better to truly convey my thoughts. I hope I'm uploading this correctly.

Mike, you are just an awesome guy. Your enthusiasm for life is infectious. Any time you walked in a room it was with a smile on your face. I will tell you this, since we left Myrtle I have thought about you alot for various reasons. Kevin and I talked about you quite a bit on the car ride home also. You are just one of those guys that's kind of brings it all together. I met you for the first time this week but in talking to you felt like I have known you my whole life. Thank you for taking the time to do that video and showing everyone the type person you are. I still cannot believe you are 40 but we will save that for another day. Haha.

My Brother I really appreciate the kind words! This is what it's all about for me, the people. We founded a relationship in MB that will last a lifetime, and that is something I will cherish buddy!

Incredible video Mike! Thanks for sharing!

Great recaps! Hope I get to play in one of these big events someday.

Last edited:
Mike, you're amazing. Thank you.

Staff bag is cleaned and put into the den. Couldn't even bring myself to use the embroidered towel they gave me. Extra balls and gloves are also in the staff bag. Didn't think I was the sentimental type, but I don't want to lose anything that I received as part of this event. I even left the awesome True Blue bag tag on the staffer as a reminder.

Maybe I can bring myself to use it at a future THP event. I just want to keep looking at it, thinking about everything and hoping its not the last time I get that experience.

So many great moments in that video, Mike. We were all lucky to have you there. Hope to see you again at another THP event.

You're lucky I didn't make that hole-in-one.

So many great moments in that video, Mike. We were all lucky to have you there. Hope to see you again at another THP event.

He would have been first and only volunteer ever to get fired

Glad I joined this great forum. Having followed most of TMC for the first time just confirmed my decision. Have played with a couple of great guys in my area from the site in the last month. I really need to get involved in one of these events. I crave competition. But even more the fun that seems to go along with ever one of these events. Looking forward to playing more with THPERS and getting into some of these fantastic events.

Great video Mike!

He would have been first and only volunteer ever to get fired

Nah, I would have quit... :)
I'll have more on this in my recap (if I ever finish it), but the overwhelming response from Josh that I observed would've been "no problem."

Back