Recap Thread - 2014 Morgan Cup

Just got caught up on the last recaps I've missed. Cookie and MikeG awesome video recaps brothers. Awfully dusty here in New York tonight!

Especially after reading what my father said about me. It makes me feel good that you're proud of me pop. As most have been saying, I'm just a testament to you.

Which brings me to AdamW's recap about his father. Your post really hit home with me buddy and hard. The works you spoke of your father just brings out the feelings I have in mine dude. Sounds like you and I are both lucky to have the fathers we have. I'm glad I got to meet him and shake his hand. I think you're a testament to him just like I am with my pop. What an awesome moment it was for me to have him shake my hand and wish me lucky Sunday before my singles match. Sometimes it's the little things that stick out and mean the most.

Mike F'ing G.....straight from the heart and soul. You rocked the MC with your presence. You went 110% even to the last match on Sunday. It was an honor to watch you work the entire week. You are my brother now and will be going forward. Thank you for doing what you did the entire weekend. I can't wait to hear your clips on video!!

I want to take a second and something about my boy Pete. This guy just screams what THP is all about. Early on when the contests were starting for the #THPMC Pete and I talked about it and we were both unsure about entering. But he urged me to enter, kept telling me that I was made for this event. When I saw he entered and got selected I couldn't have been more happy for him. The guy is just so awesome I was so glad he got to get in. Then contests came and gone and I didn't get my ticket punched. I struggle with creativity and he knew the more that went by and I wasn't selected the harder I was getting on myself. Before the Bridgestone contest I was selected in he texted me and said "Dude, we're getting in this let's come up with something." I was bouncing ideas off him daily till I came up with something we both liked and I went with it. Luckily I was blessed enough to be selected. How awesome was this I got get in the effing Morgan Cup with my buddy Pete who was dying for me to get in. Then I got the text. The text that instantly broke my heart because I had a feeling it wasn't good. I've never felt so heart broken as the day I found out he had to back out of the Cup. One of the most selfless guys I've ever met got robbed. I know "they" say things happen for a reason but this just sucked. A guy who helped me and pushed me to get in doesn't get to play. It felt unfair that I got to ride out the experience and he didn't. I found out he was making the trip down and I felt so much better. I know it's not what he wanted, but he still came down and experienced it and absolutely rocked it down there helping out Josh and Morgan and the volunteers. Pete I know you're probably going to give me crap for throwing you a shout out but you deserve it buddy, you're one of the most awesome guys I know! I mean who else drives 4 hours one way in a freaking blizzard just to play simulator golf for a few hours and have dinner and then head back?! Get that wrist right buddy we got some golf to play!!

Nah, I would have quit... :)

The Boss wouldn't let you quit -- until after she fired you. Ha.

I was pretty certain Spicoli's tee shot didn't go in, because I was sure you would have gone nuts. We just had no clue how close it was.

I'll have more on this in my recap (if I ever finish it), but the overwhelming response from Josh that I observed would've been "no problem."

And I'm pretty certain no one was referencing Josh when mentioning a firing. :alien:

Ok I have gone back and forth whether to do this, but felt video was better to truly convey my thoughts. I hope I'm uploading this correctly.

https://vimeo.com/102261564

Mike, you are one of the best, and I mean that. Sharing that dinner with you in Dallas was special for me, and every time I get to see you (which honestly hasn't been enough), I'm reminded how amazing you are.

I want to take a second and something about my boy Pete. This guy just screams what THP is all about. Early on when the contests were starting for the #THPMC Pete and I talked about it and we were both unsure about entering. But he urged me to enter, kept telling me that I was made for this event. When I saw he entered and got selected I couldn't have been more happy for him. The guy is just so awesome I was so glad he got to get in. Then contests came and gone and I didn't get my ticket punched. I struggle with creativity and he knew the more that went by and I wasn't selected the harder I was getting on myself. Before the Bridgestone contest I was selected in he texted me and said "Dude, we're getting in this let's come up with something." I was bouncing ideas off him daily till I came up with something we both liked and I went with it. Luckily I was blessed enough to be selected. How awesome was this I got get in the effing Morgan Cup with my buddy Pete who was dying for me to get in. Then I got the text. The text that instantly broke my heart because I had a feeling it wasn't good. I've never felt so heart broken as the day I found out he had to back out of the Cup. One of the most selfless guys I've ever met got robbed. I know "they" say things happen for a reason but this just sucked. A guy who helped me and pushed me to get in doesn't get to play. It felt unfair that I got to ride out the experience and he didn't. I found out he was making the trip down and I felt so much better. I know it's not what he wanted, but he still came down and experienced it and absolutely rocked it down there helping out Josh and Morgan and the volunteers. Pete I know you're probably going to give me crap for throwing you a shout out but you deserve it buddy, you're one of the most awesome guys I know! I mean who else drives 4 hours one way in a freaking blizzard just to play simulator golf for a few hours and have dinner and then head back?! Get that wrist right buddy we got some golf to play!!

LoPresti .5 is a hell of a guy.

I'll have more on this in my recap (if I ever finish it), but the overwhelming response from Josh that I observed would've been "no problem."

Stop it. Your ruining my reputation as an a-hole. Haven't you heard? :D

Stop it. Your ruining my reputation as an a-hole. Haven't you heard? :D

No worries I got your back buddy. Keep getting your a-hole on!

The Boss wouldn't let you quit -- until after she fired you. Ha.

I was pretty certain Spicoli's tee shot didn't go in, because I was sure you would have gone nuts. We just had no clue how close it was.

It was pretty close Seth, like 1/2 foot close but I guess you didn't see it that way as you made him mark it and wait. :laughing:

Well… for starters this was my third MC, and the one I will remember most! Where else can I get hugs from multiple men and my husband not care ha ha!! I love seeing each year how a random group of strangers can turn into family in a matter of a few days, each wanting to win, but at the same time cheering on their competitors.
Every year I am also treated like one of the family and not just one of the wives, and this means so much.
I wouldn't consider myself a volunteer, more like Morgan's side kick! Those volunteers worked their butts off this past weekend and the fruit of their labor shows! I had the privilege of helping Morgan last year, and decided to help again, and couldn't have asked for a better time! Man were we trouble this year with all our jokes and pranks. :) Thank you to everyone that has mentioned me, it was an honor to watch every up and down and the emotions that ensued.
I have made so many friends over the past three years, and that is truly priceless!
Now dammit Canadan….. Where is my slushy!

Thanks Trish for everything! :)

mikeg: just watched that recap. Thanks for all the kind words brother - and yes, I EXPECT to see your best effort possible for December.

You were a rockstar throughout this and I can't thank you enough for what you did. You are also one of the most generous people I've came across - keep being you because you are a truly great guy.

Some General Thoughts:

It has taken me awhile to get my thoughts organized on paper. I’ve been really busy since I got back from Myrtle with my office, but also, I wanted to give the Morgan Cup the proper sendoff it deserves. That required me to sit down and reflect on how the Morgan Cup has changed my golf game and my life.

The Morgan Cup had given me a lot the last two years. It allowed me to dive into and become more serious about a sport that was just “casual” to me. It took me from a 30+ handicap to the 11-12 (on a good day!) that I am today. Phrases like “I want to be the dcbrad of 2014” started this year, which were said in good fun and joking, but in my head were a bit much, because anyone could do what I did in 2013 and even do it better (looking directly at you AMart). It reinvigorated my love for this game, and it brought some incredible people into my life that I will call friends forever.

As I sit and reflect on two years of sweat…tears…pain…good golf…. and terrible golf, it is bittersweet. In ways, The Morgan Cup will always be the crown jewel of THP, at least in my mind. It was the first event to do something for amateurs that nothing before it could and nothing after could even come close to replicating. So, in that respect, I am sad that this will be the last one. At the same time, it just feels right that this was the last Morgan Cup. The Morgan Cup is a wonderful and draining journey, it takes a toll on your body, it takes a toll on your spirit, and it may even put strain on a marriage or relationship. Practicing and playing golf 5-6 days a week can consume you, and for months, Morgan Cup fever consumes you. You eat, breathe and sleep it. I think most everyone who has ever participated can attest that the journey is what you make it, but if you pour your heart and soul into it, there are certain parts of your life that may suffer, just like with any goal or bar you set for yourself. I know my wife deserves a ton of credit for picking up the slack at home when I was out practicing and playing. She knew it would be a sacrifice for both of us, but she gets THP, and the Morgan Cup, and we decided together to come back and do it again.

There were certain times over the weekend where I felt “This is it, this is the last Cup” and I was waiting for that sadness to creep in, that knot in my stomach to build up. It never did though, and it was confusing at first. At first I thought I was being selfish and conceded, having a certain sense of “relief” that the journey and struggle to be the best golfer I could be was coming to an end, but I think it had more to do with how it played out:

-Jake showing up, and then playing (under incredibly unfortunate circumstances).
-Having a team of 100% newbies win
-Watching veterans, in certain situations, put themselves in less than ideal situations to put their teams in the best position to win.
-Staff Sponsor Day turning into the coolest 4-5 hours I have ever been a part of.

There was a certain sense of “this could not be topped” and “what a way to end this event” and maybe that made it more acceptable to me. I had a conversation with Erik (Howzat) on Saturday night (by the way dude, we did not hang out enough this past week!) about it. We were talking about how we both had a cup win under our belts, and this year was more about putting our teams in the best position to win and succeed then it was about us, or just our individual success at the event. It worked, we didn’t bring home a cup, but there was a sense of accomplishment in my team’s voices on Sunday afternoon, and that was very rewarding to me. Those guys had the time of their lives, and had personal success, that was all that mattered to me.

Being an assistant captain this year brought a ton more “responsibility” in my mind. I didn’t just have to worry about myself, I had to worry about 7 other guys, I had to lay my personal “golf issues” aside and be a rock for them. I enjoyed it immensely. I believe the journey our team went through was one that brought us closer than anything. The last couple months, we were working like a well-oiled machine. Guys were excited, guys were motivated and guys were peaking at the right time. I watched guys play some amazing golf, and have fun doing it. I like to think I had a bit to do with laying the foundation for that, and I believe that Dan and I were such good compliments to each other, that it just exponentially increased the effectiveness of what we wanted to convey to our team. If I could do it over, I’d do it exactly the same way, (except maybe a few more video chats with Dan, :alien:)

The Morgan Cup will always be the pinnacle of THP History (in my mind). There are some amazing things going on and I know there will be some amazing things to come down the pipeline. But if I could never go to another THP event, or not be a part of any of the events in the future, I would die a happy man. This event has brought me friendships and bonds that will never be broken. Relationships that are closer than some of the ones with people that I actually see on a weekly basis. That is something I will always cherish. Last year, I was an emotional wreck, and all I could think about was how excited I was to try to get in to 2014. This year, if there was another one, I would be a bit more at peace, and would be excited to follow along more than I would be ready to throw my name into the ring. This place, this event, has given me so much, and I hope that I can give enough back in the months and years to come, because that is what THP deserves, that’s what JB and GG deserve, and that’s what anyone out there who supported us deserves.

So here’s to you THP, supporters, participants, sponsors, volunteers, families, wives. Without any of you, none of this is possible, and take one of those parts out of the equation, and the event doesn’t happen or go off near as well. I’m ready to close this chapter, and enjoy the new one that is about to open. Hop on the wagon, because I have a feeling it is only gonna get better.

More thoughts to come on Teams, Memories and all the fun we had.

Volunteers:

Mikeg_74: Dude, you are so laid back and chill and I love that. Watching you bust your but the entire weekend was really awesome to see. One of my favorite laughs from the weekend was during our Alt Shot match. I believe it was #12. Mike was doing some commentating. I had hit a pretty good drive that cut the corner on that whole pretty nicely, leaving us, 135 or so into the pin. The ball had rolled into the first cut of the rough. Mike comes up and starts shooting, saying something along the lines of “dcbrad with a nice drive, just off the fairway and into the first cut of rough (pause) Not ideal, but it will work.” Hahaha I remember saying something like “Geez Mike! Always a critic” or something like that and he responds by saying “I call it how I see it baby!” HAHA. It was a highlight for me.

T2GRN18: Really enjoyed meeting you brother. You have been a great “Internet Friend” this entire process. You were a huge supporter of me in the first Morgan Cup and finally being able to meet you after this long of a time was great. I enjoyed our conversations, just shootin the **** throughout the week, and I look forward to hanging out with you many times in the future. You and Trout are the definition of cool to me, just tons of swagger and just great dudes.

Tpluff: We had first gotten a chance to meet at the Pinelakes Gathering last October, but this was really the first time we had gotten a chance to “hang out” and talk this past week. You’re a great dude, and you busted your ass the entire weekend. You captured some really nice shots from me, and you also captured some terrible ones (I hope my drive on #7 at Caledonia never sees the light of day.) Looking forward to seeing you again in October if you can make that trip in “The Van.”

GregDan: Just like Kevin, you were a guy that I had been waiting to meet for a really long time. Being able to interact with you on the forum has always been fun, and just like Kevin, I feel like you were right in my corner through both Morgan Cups. You’re a great dude, and I really appreciate the support/PMS through the entire process. Again, I know this isn’t the last time we will see each other. I hope to see you in October too!

Knight & Orange Hog: I didn’t get a chance to talk with you guys as much as I would have liked. I did get a chance to hang with Orange a bit on Saturday night, which was cool. You guys did such a great job out there and it definitely wouldn’t have been the same without you. Thanks a ton for spending the week with us and, no doubt, bringing some incredible footage to the Morgan Cup.

*Mrs. Howzat is getting her own mention in a later post, so I haven't forgotten her.

It was an absolutely honor meeting all of the volunteers this past week. Was able to spend more time with some than others but really enjoyed chatting it up with all of you. Cant wait for another 3 weeks or so to see all the fruits of the labor for the week. Thank you again for all of your help

This event has brought me friendships and bonds that will never be broken. Relationships that are closer than some of the ones with people that I actually see on a weekly basis. That is something I will always cherish.

This, more than anything else, is what people should see. Even if it's teeing it up locally with THP'ers, do it! I have some friendships that are 10+ yrs & I can honestly say that the bonds/friendships you create at THP events will last. I think that is a testament to JB & Morgan for the type of environment they create here on a daily basis.

The Matches
Round 1 – mmaynard11 & JerseyNate vs. Mward & NebGolfer
Once the Round 1 matches were released I knew this would be a good one. Instead of focusing on my opponents Nate and I began our prep. Over the next several months we discussed the strong and weak points of our game in hopes of forming a sense of an on course bond. This gave me a sense of calmness knowing what to expect during that Saturday morning round with his game. On the flipside I had never met either MWard or Neb, and I was looking forward to months of following their progress and preparation for the Morgan Cup as well. It wasn’t until another event, LIITA, where I had the opportunity to meet (Mike) Mward and play in a round with him. That is where our friendship kicked off. Hello…Butter knives!?!?! What can I say about Ryan (NebGolfer)? Other than both of us being sponsored by Bridgestone, he was a mystery. We began talking via PM, and I learned he was having a hard time finding some Bridgestone equipment. I ended up having an extra J40 driver laying around, so I sent it his way to use. Outsiders would have called me crazy, insane, and probably some other choice words, but in my opinion, this is what the Morgan Cup is about. Friendships!!!

Fast Forward to that Saturday morning…
No matter how much you prepare, that 1[SUP]st[/SUP] tee shot of your Morgan Cup Legacy will have you shaking and on the verge of a black out. It definitely is a one of a kind feeling that can’t be duplicated. The laughs prior to our name’s being called slightly eased that feeling a bit. So Morgan called my name…I tried to look cool, calm and collected walking up to that tee shot. Definitely a feeling I will remember for all my days. I told myself, “Just hit it farther than the end of the tee box” and I pipe one down the middle of the fairway. (**Nerves Gone**) I ended up draining an 8 foot putt for birdie to halve the hole that 1[SUP]st[/SUP] hole. What a great start to my Morgan Cup. Instead of replaying every hole, which was filled with amazing shots, I want to focus on the atmosphere. There is something about the Morgan Cup that I knew would occur, but just couldn’t wait to experience it. The comradery between opponents. The words of encouragement after each shot were the highlights of the day in my opinion! As tight of a battle that round was, I don’t think there was a time I wanted Mike or Ryan to hit a bad shot, and felt the feeling was mutual. Overall that was just a fun round and having the opportunity to play #18, as our 9[SUP]th[/SUP] hole was something I will cherish for some time. You guys were great competitors, golfers, and most of all great friends!!! The end result may not have turned out in our favor, but I was happy with our effort.
Highlights of the Round:

• On #10, Jersey Nate was in the waste area, and after the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] shot I said…”You might want to get it on the green!” Mward’s response, “Really what an a$$”. Little did he know I was referring to a certain area of the green I wanted Jersey to hit to.
  • On #15 Mike waves to my daughter, his response, “Your daughter just flipped me off, what the heck are you teaching her?” My response, “I think she is just upset you have her by a few MWard inches!” Man I love you and hope you know that was me just messing around. Typical of how the round was. Jokes and Laughter.
  • On #5 standing over a 17’ putt to extend the match – Mike states, “If you make this, I have a feeling it going to be a long morning.”
  • Mikeg74 – You were like a lucky charm. Every time I heard your Barry White voice saying, “mmaynard11 with the 15’ for par to halve the hole.” Was music to my ears. Thanks for all the coverage.

Awesome video Mike! It was great getting to talk to you a bit more at dinner on Sunday.

Here's my video, and it got a little long. Thanks for those who get through it, but understand for those who don't. This event was the best golf event I could ever dream of, so thank you to all who made it happen. Special thanks to my wife who didn't really get credit in my ramblings but is a major part of why I was able to do this event.

Here's my video, and it got a little long. Thanks for those who get through it, but understand for those who don't. This event was the best golf event I could ever dream of, so thank you to all who made it happen. Special thanks to my wife who didn't really get credit in my ramblings but is a major part of why I was able to do this event.

Looking forward to watching this

41 minutes??? I wonder if I can put this down on my timesheet somehow?!?! You know Ill be watching this buddy!

Back