TaylorMade Golf - A Struggle At The Top?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Well done, Josh. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out and it's effect on other companies.

Good read
I am sure TM will turn it around at some point

"Inventory management might be a better way to describe it and when each line comes with the rest of the metal wood family and those do not go over as well in sales at the retail level, the bump in the road becomes a major issue. Smart people are at the helm and will get the company turned towards the right direction again, because frankly golf needs more companies producing high quality equipment, not less."

Those two lines say it all for me. They'll get the ship righted, but they seriously need to work on their inventory management. I know all companies wind up with leftovers of product at some point, but the how much inventory left is why TM is in this awkward position.

I think the introduction/success of their next non-premium line will be something worth watching. How it will be marketed, how it will be handled on the retail side. My guess is that they are going to have to really knock that one out of the park to stop the leaking and that could be difficult with what they've done these last few release cycles.

I think this is just the beginning of a few very difficult years for the company. They'll reamin strong in some areas, but I think the white club bubble has burst and don't see them regaining that type of dominance going forward.

We'll see a smaller Taylormade for sure and hopefully they come out better for it long term.

Very good article. People will have a different set of complaints about TaylorMade if they go to a lower inventory of things. It will then change to a its backordered and I can't grab and go with the new driver. It's such a hard thing to balance the two. I truly hope even through the restructuring they keep pushing the envelope. While I may not like all the things they do it is what makes TM who they are in my mind.

While I was reading the other thread on this subject, I thought of all the sponsorships they have...likely to cut back on those? I figure halving all the bags and hats with their name on it on all the tours will help the bottom line, which could lower MSRP which could increase sales volume. Not the be-all end-all, but it won't hurt.

Personally I think Taylormade got a little cocky with their position in the market. Just my opinion though.

While I was reading the other thread on this subject, I thought of all the sponsorships they have...likely to cut back on those? I figure halving all the bags and hats with their name on it on all the tours will help the bottom line, which could lower MSRP which could increase sales volume. Not the be-all end-all, but it won't hurt.
Why lower msrp of clubs when it had stayed roughly the same for a good number of years? A lower cost from everything else on the market can also backfire and portray lower quality (even if it is not).

Great editorial. Inventory management is tough to handle especially when you have a presence in almost every big box sporting good store. Retail is such a hard industry to accurately forecast because it is dependent on so many things. I don't think their release schedule is the primary cause here. It may be part of the problem, but not as big as some may think.

They have no issue selling the SLDR, it just got off to a slower start then many expected. JetSpeed was a massive flop, quite honestly TM should have just kept the Stage 2 line going as their lower end product line.

I think the SLDR irons will prove successful. They also need to quit abandoning product lines so quickly. Im already hearing things about the TP line of golf balls which are phenomenal.

They are sitting on a ton of Stage 2 stuff though too I believe.

The real interesting thing here is the non-driver metalwoods. RBZ was huge there and nothing has touched it. All those hybrids and fairways just sitting there.

Personally I think Taylormade got a little cocky with their position in the market. Just my opinion though.

You wouldn't be the only one. I know I'm not the brightest when it comes to the golf industry but I view TM as Apple. In the sense that TM was beyond everyone else with their drivers and the market has finally caught up(Other golf companies putting out great products that can sell to the masses ie. Big Bertha)

Agree 100%. Their irons have been spot on lately, but they've been passed by nearly everyone in the quality and scope of their metalwood/hybrid offerings, IMO. Including the company they own, Adams.

I don't think SLDRs irons will even sniff becoming a hit. Not on the Burner/RBZ/SB level at least.

Great read Josh and a lot of it really struck a nerve. Not only has the poor, some would consider reckless, inventory management put TM and retailers in a bind, but the other OEMs are feeling the effects as well. Many brands of clubs don't hold their retail value very long anymore and that's partially because the supply is greater than the demand. The ultimate goal would be to have zero left over product going into a new model year, but TM is on the opposite end of the spectrum. My local sporting goods store is still selling the original RBZ clubs because they got so many and just can't give em away. Heck, even Meijer (regional Wal-Mart style market) sells the RBZ woods for very little. Hopefully some good will come out of this bubble bursting and the OEMs learn a valuable lesson from TMs rise and (now) fall.

TaylorMade Golf - A Struggle At The Top?

I don't think SLDRs irons will even sniff becoming a hit. Not on the Burner/RBZ/SB level at least.

And that's a shame bc they are a solid offering. They took the SB & improved. My issue with the SB was the "Clicky" sound when you hit it and not knowing if that was a good or bad shot. Hitting the SLDR's that seems to be fixed and they are just great overall.

Completely agree. It seems like they just put their feet up and said "we made it".

dingding
They have no issue selling the SLDR, it just got off to a slower start then many expected. JetSpeed was a massive flop, quite honestly TM should have just kept the Stage 2 line going as their lower end product line.

I think the SLDR irons will prove successful. They also need to quit abandoning product lines so quickly. Im already hearing things about the TP line of golf balls which are phenomenal.

They sold sh1tpots full of them, but they sure aren't still sitting in a lot of bags.

And that's a shame bc they are a solid offering. They took the SB & improved. My issue with the SB was the "Clicky" sound when you hit it and not knowing if that was a good or bad shot. Hitting the SLDR's that seems to be fixed and they are just great overall.

Oh for sure. Not discounting the quality at all.

Well done sir. I definitely think a slow down in release schedule would be a smart move on their part. Not too many other manufacturers releasing the number product lines TM tends to do every year.

golf is expensive, it really is. my good friend still plays an R7 driver and murders it. he is a low single digit HDCP and has demoed nearly every new driver. but he can never justify the purchase...and in his case alone, for only a few extra yards.

the price points of new drivers suck. $400 is so much dough to shell out on just one club, yet the SLDR remains the #1 selling driver? that's insane.

i've never paid retail for any of my golf equipment honestly. ebay, for sale forums, trades, auctions, amazon, etc...
so are many people doing the same? hurting the major OEMs chances at making more money for what is their product, selling at much lower costs? i guess that would depend on many other things (who the sellers are and if they're associated with TM in any way). but either way, i guess that club has to come from the manufacturer at some point, right? yeah, i have no clue...

so back to my first point....what about the mileage of clubs today? of course everyone wants shiny and brand new, no matter what. that's just the way of the world, not just golf. but do clubs last longer nowadays and even though technology is thru the roof, are the advancements in the newest club worth the cost to the consumer? i guess that depends on who you are.

one issue that stands out to me is a tough one. they've got to market different options to meet the masses, but honestly...Joe H. Golfer doesn't want the JetSpeed, he wants the SLDR. ya know?
Pro/Salesman: "Joe, you hit the JetSpeed 15 yards further and straighter than any other driver out there. it's definitely the one for you!"
Joe: "Ok great, I'll take the SLDR then. Cuz it looks awesome and it's adjustable, so I'm sure I can hit it better."

LOL. laughable, but 100% true.
i don't know what the answer is, i guess...maybe more Morgan Cups to restore peoples' love of the game :alien:

good read. It may be a dip, but i have no doubt TM will produce another premium driver that brings them back up. May be a few years though.

~Rock

They've got a lot of issues to sort through. Really curious to see what they do to get through all this.

Awesome editorial there.

Interesting to see this going on with TM. Did they rest on the laurels and get passed by by the other companies? It sure seems so, and now it looks like they are desperate and scrambling.

Back