Recap Thread - 2014 Morgan Cup

Donne Willingham.

I have said it before and will again, you are one of my favorite people on the face of this entire planet. You have no idea how much I appreciate your words dude, none at all. But thank you, nothing but love from me dude.

Dang u Adam.. It was all good in writing , but I don't do well with seeing the emotion. I was going to do a video myself but am truly in no condition right now...

Gonna try to get my video recap up tonight. Between a coarse throat and some of these other recaps, I'd rather not shed a tear on camera so it may take a bit.

Gonna try to get my video recap up tonight. Between a coarse throat and some of these other recaps, I'd rather not shed a tear on camera so it may take a bit.

Please make sure and avoid the rocking chair this time.

Please make sure and avoid the rocking chair this time.

.... Might be sitting in that chair typing this. Point has been noted.

I found a meeting room with no windows sat down and hit record. No intentions of go over 20 minutes, 30 minutes, or even 40 minutes. Much like Seth though, it happens. I promise every recap I post after this will be something funny I remember from the weekend. :act-up:

So sit down, grab a bottle of something....because you'll probably be able to get through it all and enjoy!

Edit: HAWK!!! I'm really sorry about 10-15 minutes in. It's nothing bad. I just gave you the wrong first name...:dohanim:

Adam, I watched every second of that dude.

You're a good dude, you really are, and seeing this whole THP thing really go to another level for you puts the biggest smile on my face in the world. It was awesome to finally meet you and to meet your dad, and I can't wait to see you at another event, truly.

I demand 2 references to Frozen and a David outburst.

Ryan and Adam Thank You! The end result is awesome! Clubs you can buy. People you can meet. Personal discoveries are often unexpected and last a lifetime.

I found a meeting room with no windows sat down and hit record. No intentions of go over 20 minutes, 30 minutes, or even 40 minutes. Much like Seth though, it happens. I promise every recap I post after this will be something funny I remember from the weekend. :act-up:

So sit down, grab a bottle of something....because you'll probably be able to get through it all and enjoy!

Edit: HAWK!!! I'm really sorry about 10-15 minutes in. It's nothing bad. I just gave you the wrong first name...:dohanim:

There's an hour of my life I won't get back... :alien:

Seriously though, that was powerful, and I'm so glad you put it on video because that raw emotion wouldn't have translated to text. Seeing the way this event changed you and your outlook on this community is something special, and I'm glad you feel like part of the family because you absolutely are. There is nothing like your first THP event to take this place to another level, and you sure picked a doozy to start on.

You said you loved me like a brother and I can tell you without a doubt that I feel the exact same way.

Here's a video recap of my Saturday and Sunday rounds - a bit long winded, a bit repetitive, but it was unscripted and I am not good at these things, hehe.

Guys, I'll also apologize for writing the longest recap novel ever published. Just like in real life, once I start talking, I am having trouble stopping. I am finding that writing all this is providing me a closure to this amazing chapter of my life in a way that I never expected to find. At this point, I am writing it for me as much as I am to share. It has been a very cathartic experience putting this into words.

You are owning these recaps and have enjoyed every word.

There are a few people I should have mentioned and I will contact them personally to express my regret of not addressing their meaning to me.

Boy, it's easy for these things to go long.

There are a few people I should have mentioned and I will contact them personally to express my regret of not addressing their meaning to me.

It's set to private

Fixed.

4a4u6ade.jpg
The pic is awful but this was a week ago....... Love Nates reaction

This is the hardest post for me to ever make on THP. I've been waffling back and forth on even posting it. Morgan and Josh, what the two of you have created means the absolute world to me. I don't know if I was able to get it across during this video but I hope I did. No script, no notes, turn on the camera and go.

Dave Dave dave.

Man oh man what a solid recap. First off thank you for the early reminder of the beating matt and Ken gave to hawk and I...much appreciated.

But secondly and more importantly I'm glad to hear that business is being handled ln the personal side of things. You are too good of a dude to let something like that try and keep you down.

Congrats on the gard fought win and I'm glad your awful putting has given you something to work on post mc :)

And I too also hope LITA returns

Love ya dude.

Here's a video recap of my Saturday and Sunday rounds - a bit long winded, a bit repetitive, but it was unscripted and I am not good at these things, hehe.

You pretty much nailed it dude. Whatever the opposite of ham and egg is, we did it. I hope there are no hard feelings after that round but I was pretty spent emotionally after the morning. We did run in to two guys who were hitting some shots though. To TNT and JM, we didn't lose that match, the two of you won it and I'm so freaking proud of how you guys played. I will post a recap of the match later but it was my pleasure to share a round with all of you.

Dave, what a recap. Congrats again on the victory, it was truly a pleasure to meet you. Can't wait to see you up in my neck of the woods come September.

Jordan - dude, what can I say, it's getting REALLY dusty in here. So proud to share this MC experience with you, brother. It truly was a weekend of pure joy.

You pretty much nailed it dude. Whatever the opposite of ham and egg is, we did it. I hope there are no hard feelings after that round but I was pretty spent emotionally after the morning. We did run in to two guys who were hitting some shots though. To TNT and JM, we didn't lose that match, the two of you won it and I'm so freaking proud of how you guys played. I will post a recap of the match later but it was my pleasure to share a round with all of you.

I couldn't have any hard feelings for you even if I tried. Love you man! And yes - TNT and JM just played their tails off and it was great to watch.

This is the hardest post for me to ever make on THP. I've been waffling back and forth on even posting it. Morgan and Josh, what the two of you have created means the absolute world to me. I don't know if I was able to get it across during this video but I hope I did. No script, no notes, turn on the camera and go.

I'm a Jordan fan. Truth.

4a4u6ade.jpg
The pic is awful but this was a week ago....... Love Nates reaction
Haha!! Yes! Thanks for posting this. Everything is a blur, I remember people going nuts and I knew Nate was one of the first people I actually looked at and he came and hugged me. LOVED this moment more than I can even describe.

Part 1: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...4-Morgan-Cup&p=3192488&viewfull=1#post3192488

Part 2: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...4-Morgan-Cup&p=3193836&viewfull=1#post3193836

Part 3: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...4-Morgan-Cup&p=3195093&viewfull=1#post3195093

Part 4: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...4-Morgan-Cup&p=3197746&viewfull=1#post3197746

Matches:
Adwillingham/Paladin vs Parshooter/Coers
I had really enjoyed getting to know Andy and Andrew through this process. I knew both guys would present quite the challenge for me and Steve, but I honestly was not prepared for drama that this match would produce.

For the first nine holes (10-18 on True Blue for us), we were playing a Shamble format. This is one I have some experience with as my work league plays something similar with some regularity. We were the second foursome off of the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] tee, so we had around 12 guys on that box cheering us on.

This entire match was about runs. We won 10, they won 11, we won 12. We were 2 down after 17, we won 18, and made the turn 1 down. As we hit the front nine, we switched to the Pinehurst format. Steve and I strung three good shots together to pull AS after 1. The last ten holes of this match had outright winners, a personal streak that would ultimately reach around 30 holes for me without a push.

Andy and Andrew reeled off three good holes on 2, 3, and 4 to take advantage of some poor shots on our part and ultimately go 3 up. Steve and I started ham and egging it better and won 5, 6, and 7 to pull back to AS. I burnt the edge on a putt to tie the hole on 8, so we went to 9, our last, 1 down. Steve blistered a drive, and I put it in the front bunker in 2 from 211 out. Our par was good enough to take the hole and half the point.

Personally, I felt like my play this 18, particularly off the tee was my best all weekend, and we needed every bit of it to claw out this half. This ½ point was also really significant to me as I had gone 0-3 in my first Morgan Cup, so I was finally on the scoreboard. Poor Steve came in for a handshake after he made the 3-4 footer on 9, and got a bear hug he didn’t understand at the time.

Overall, it was a terrific match against two great opponents (and even greater guys). I cannot wait to see the coverage (thanks to Chris for following the last few holes). We all hit some good shots, we all hit some loose shots, and it was a crazy match with lots of swings.

After this match ended, two of my favorite moments of this weekend occurred. First, as Steve and I pull up to the cart area, several of our teammates were down there and they mobbed us when we pulled up. They had been following the live update thread like everyone else, and had seen the results come in. They had also intentionally not come back to our group on the course to watch because they didn’t want to make us nervous. The pride and excitement coming from them to the two of us was just incredible. Second, telling the story with the understanding that I have known and been friends with Canadan for years now, Steve and I were sitting in the Caledonia restaurant before round 2, and Dan (as captain of Team Albatross) comes up and says something along the lines of “I hear you stole a half point from my team”. I am not normally a competitive person, but that moment felt amazing.

Adwillingham/Paladin vs Jman/Devrickus
36 holes in a day is not something I often do, but I might do it more if I could share the second 18 with James and Ricky on Caledonia. Starting on 1, this round was two 9 hole matches of Alternate Shot, a format I have played very little of.

Again, for the entire 14 holes we played, the teams didn’t push a hole, such can be the volatility of Alt Shot. James hit a nice approach on 1, and Steve couldn’t recover from my pulled tee shot…1 down. James and Ricky hit three good shots for a GIR on 2…2 down. I stuck a hybrid to 4 feet on 3…1 down. We took 4…AS. We hit one OB on 5, and Ricky dang near aced 6, to put us back 2 down. We strung a couple nice shots on 7 to go 1 down, but they finished us off on 8 for a 2 & 1 first match victory.

As we waited for our groups to redisperse for the second match, none of us could hit the green from 79 yards out on nine, and my body started showing the physical and mental fatigue of the long day. We lost 10, I hit another good approach into 11 to square it up, and then the wheels fell off for me particularly. We lost the next four holes and finished up the day with a hug and handshake on the 15[SUP]th[/SUP] green, losing 4 & 3.

Obviously everyone was playing the same formats, but I found it really difficult to stay in this afternoon round given that you could go 4-6 holes without hitting a driver, and with the wild swings, it felt like we were on the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] green the first time I used a putter. All that being said, Caledonia is such a beautiful golf course that I would play the whole round with a 7-iron if that is what was requested.

A few additional comments I want to make about this round and the day as a whole. I was so happy to be playing James and Ricky this round. I love both of these guys (and randomly hugged Ricky like all weekend, and I was sober), and both guys hit some tremendous shots given the long day. James may be the happiest dad-to-be I have ever met, and that smile was infectious all weekend. They certainly managed the golf course and situation a lot better than I did, and they deserve a ton of credit for it. I will talk more about my partner in a later episode, but he was such a great guy, and we played mental coach with each other all day. Finally, and this will be discussed later as well, Steve’s awesome wife Rebecca followed us every hole in the afternoon match. I observed an incredible transformation in those few hours between someone who tolerated golf and someone who started to understand why one could like this insane game. This was another of my favorite moments of the weekend (one can have a LOT of favorites, almost like your children).

Adwillingham vs J4U (playing alongside Amart vs MikeDean)
A brief (stop laughing) interlude before I type out this final round. I woke up Sunday morning EXTREMELY emotional. I cannot pinpoint what it was, last day of the final Morgan Cup, culmination of this 9 month journey, being done leading this incredible group of guys, missing my family, probably all had a role. I literally cried 5 times between the time I woke up until I emerged from my cave. Choked a few more back being on the range with everyone, and then being with everyone on the tee. Almost broke down again when JB said the words “Last Morgan Cup”, again hugging Morgan, again hugging Dean (who I had played in singles in 2011), etc.

I had met Doug (J4U) in Las Vegas last year and knew I was going to have to play really well to have a chance in this match. I could barely breathe by the time I stepped up to that first tee. All I can say is thank goodness for the wideness of the True Blue fairways because I needed every inch out to the right to keep it on the grass, and in general on a day I could only play pretty big sweeping fade/slice drives. Doug striped the first two holes, and before I knew where I was, I was 2 Down. I finally settled down, and started staying down on the ball, got away with a pull to the fat side of the green on 3, and won 3 and 4 to go back AS. Next couple holes are a blur, but I know I hit a really good hybrid on 7, and made a good par on 9 to go 3 Up at the turn.

Andy Martin was a superstar all weekend, and his play was really inspiring about what is possible if you put your mind and effort into it…purely awesome. Mike Dean ran into an absolute juggernaut and after the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] green, Doug and I rearranged bags and played in as a twosome.

On the back nine, we traded holes for a while, he won 10 (2 up), I won 11 (3 Up), he won 12 (2 Up), I won 13 and 14 to go 4 Up with 4 to play. While not as straight off the tee as on Saturday, I was hitting some really good shots and making a fair number of pars. When I went Dormie, the nerves went absolutely berserk.

Editors notes: Unless you are a Dot Com supporter, and really aren’t we all, the next couple paragraphs may not be suitable for children under 13.

I get up on the 15[SUP]th[/SUP] tee and flare a drive over the waste area left into tall wispy grass. Doug hammers a drive straight down the middle. My second from the high grass (3[SUP]rd[/SUP] overall) finally reaches the FW. Doug hammers the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shot, puts the ball on in 3. I finally sheepishly reach the green in 5 (hearing the roars from #Cookie’s hole-in-one from our fairway, how awesome was that). Doug putts it decently close and I concede. 3 Up / 3 to Play.

On 16, a beautiful par 3, Doug hits a beautiful iron to the middle of the green. I proceed to flare a 7 iron (hope the camera was only on the green, because I uttered my only poor language during play) to the bottom of the waste bunker right at the water’s edge. I did pull off a very nice shot to get it over the huge wall and up on the green, but Doug lagged a very nice putt, and when mine par didn’t drop, he had pulled another back. 2 Up / 2 to Play.

Poor Doug, dealing with the nerves of competition, and I’m losing it game wise (which is at least to his benefit), but the more nervous I get the more I am talking at him. Such a great guy though, never even told me to shut up, even though I am sure he was thinking it.

On 17, we both hit drives out into the fairway. I have 170 or so in, and lifted up on my 4 hybrid, knocking it in the drink. Doug thins his second a bit, but it safely carries the water, running over the back of the green. I drop and hit PW on to the front of the green for my fourth, but Doug runs it up very nicely and takes the hole. 1 Up / 1 to Play.

Eighteen tee, having dropped three straight holes, I can’t say I am feeling too good about myself, and I tell Doug “I’m the best person on Team Hackers for this to happen to, it will be an incredible story either way”. We both hit good drives again, and I had maybe 150 to the sucker flag tucked far left. I aimed it 30 feet right and just swung the club. I swore the ball was going to fly the green, but it carried just right and was safely on. Doug caught it a bit heavy, and after knocking my putt safely down the hill, he conceded, and received a really long hug on the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] green.

Kevin was there to do our post round interview, and I wish I had any clue what was said, but Kevin says it was really good, so I’ll wait to see it on video with everyone else. I know that my voice cracked twice, but I was too exhausted to really break down. The next people I see are Steve and Rebecca (who have a Diet Coke for me in hand…I party hard like that), and several more of my Team Hackers brothers.

To win a Sunday Singles match at the Morgan Cup was and is purely a dream come true. Honestly, if Doug and I play 10 times, I win 1 maybe 2 tops, and it was only the width of this golf course than made it possible. Doug was incredible throughout, both as a competitor and as a friend, and I’m sure I drove him crazy at times. We were both cheering for each other to hit good shot after good shot. I will say, that when I heard that Team Dot Com had taken the cup pretty handily, I felt incredibly happy for many guys, but no one more than Doug.

I was wondering what you were doing in your room on Sunday morning. Now I know. :alien:

Reading everyone's recaps is bringing back so many memories. I remember how I excited I was for you and Steve Saturday morning knowing how much you wanted to get "on the board" so to speak after the last MC experience.

Playing with Doug on Saturday, I knew that was going to be a tough match. I'm not surprised he battled back to take you to 18. Way to finish strong. You deserved that moment.

Back