Club Head Speed for Average Male Golfers

I suppose my other question is whether the participants are aware they're being measured as part of a swing speed survey. Nothing says "break a rib and hit down on a drive" like being told you're participating in a swing speed survey. As such, I wonder what swing speed and attack angle (as much a measurement of driving success as speed, IMO) would be if it could be measured surreptitiously.

The numbers come from golfers that have participated in the Trackman Combine, which determines their accuracy in hitting to a variety of distances as well as hitting driver. It's not just a simple measure of swing speed.

I find these charts useless. Get fit, get on a monitor, find out what you swing and what you should play.

Thanks for such a tremendous contribution to this thread. :alien:

I fall into the lower 15%, but usually out drive at least 50+% of the people I play with. When I play in my senior leagues I'm in the top 10% in distance. Interesting.

muuusssst becoooome a zeroooo percenter. right on the cusp of 1% but definitely need to become more consistent.

This chart doesn't surprise me. I fall firmly in the 101-105 category, which makes me happy!

I do believe those numbers. I tried out several new drivers over the past few months. I am consistently in the range between 93-97.I average between 230-240 off the tee. Sometimes, I'll hit the sweet spot and go 260-280. If I could hit the sweet spot more often, I'm sure I'd average around 250-260. It makes a big difference when I do.

While I am well below that average swing speed nearly every THP member I have met would be on the higher end of that graph.

Funny, of put most below the average. Out of all the thprs I have played with or been around, most are below 100. I see some swing out of their shoes that should be below 100 as well but ego won't allow it.

Funny, of put most below the average. Out of all the thprs I have played with or been around, most are below 100. I see some swing out of their shoes that should be below 100 as well but ego won't allow it.

Sorry Freddie, I cant give up the long ball :)

Sorry Freddie, I cant give up the long ball :)

I wouldn't if I were you. You actually swing well in control and know the direction your ball will travel

Another way to look at this is that 75% of golfers have swing speed between 85 and 105 mph.

When I was recently fit for a driver I was put at just over 100 in general. For my longer irons it's a bit slower, and then back over 100 for my shorter irons.

I have 0% care or concern for that number outside of fitting and don't care if it goes up or down so long as my playing improves with time and effort.

Another way to look at this is that 75% of golfers have swing speed between 85 and 105 mph.

When I was recently fit for a driver I was put at just over 100 in general. For my longer irons it's a bit slower, and then back over 100 for my shorter irons.

I have 0% care or concern for that number outside of fitting and don't care if it goes up or down so long as my playing improves with time and effort.

You swing over 100mph with your short irons? Are you being serious?

That's interesting. I googled slo-mo golf swings this morning and titliest had these video comparisons of like 175ss vs 150ss, and I was thinking who the heck swings that fast? Apparently nobody.

I would be more interested in ball speeds. Tbh.

I tend to be just north of 100. That being said I would love to be 95ish, and hit the center of the face everytime. It's that ego Freddy speaks of I guess.

I really want to see a 100 mph 9i and a 95mph 4i. That would be a sight.

I dance around 100 I think. I was actually able to put the ego aside yesterday for a couple holes and put 5 straight driver shots dead straight wear I aimed, which is good for me. Funny thing is they went the same distance are usual because I was more relaxed and could feel a better wrist hinge. I'm an idiot though and lost it again...

You swing over 100mph with your short irons? Are you being serious?

According to the fitter (a pretty respected custom fitting shop). It was in the 90's to just over on some. I have no idea if that's typical or not because I don't care about swing speed, but it was also on launch software so I'm certain it's not completely accurate. I probably just interacted with the ball in a way that gave that sort of read out.

You'll have to forgive me for not being more informed about it as it's just not critical for me. I also have an issue that when I'm "off" in a day I can hit my 4 iron 160 and no more, and my 9 iron sometimes hits equal to or past it. So it's kind of a mess for me sometimes.

According to the fitter (a pretty respected shop). It was in the 90's to just over on some. I have no idea if that's typical or not because I don't care about swing speed, but it was also on launch software so I'm certain it's not completely accurate. I probably just interacted with the ball in a way that gave that read.

You'll have to forgive me for not being more informed about it as it's just not critical for me. I also have an issue that when I'm "off" in a day I can hit my 4 iron 160 and no more, and my 9 iron sometimes hits equal to or past it. So it's kind of a mess for me sometimes.

No worries on my end brother. No apologies necessary. I am of the belief that too many get wrapped up into chasing numbers anyway. Sounds like you have a good handle on things.

I use to hit my 9 iron 220 yards back in my internet days :alien:

I really want to see a 100 mph 9i and a 95mph 4i. That would be a sight.
Yeah cause that's obviously the clubs I was referring to.

Yeah cause that's obviously the clubs I was referring to.

I wasn't referring to you brother. I was referring to a few posts prior.

To be fair, what the chart and first post is missing (at least to the realm of internet golfers) is that the golfers that are die hard on the internet, are usually making up the rare 10% of everything anyway. Whether that be swing, purchasing, etc. So testing 10k golfers might be a great tool to show averages, but the golfers that make up the 6% or so that are researching online do not make up that 10k in most situations.

We watched a test being done at my parent's club where they were testing driving distance and handicap ranges. Shocking, they show up to an upscale resort course in FL and the golfers have slower swing speeds and the visitors have higher handicaps. I mean who would have guessed that older people lose some swing speed and that vacationing golfers at a private resort are sometimes not the best golfers.

Funny you mention this. I read an article where it asked guys their average distances from drives and they were a good 30 yards off.

I swing out of my shoes =(

Funny you mention this. I read an article where it asked guys their average distances from drives and they were a good 30 yards off.

It's how golfers roll. It's why you consistently see people come up short with irons as well.

Most golfers I meet have a driver "average" that is the length of the longest drive they hit that one time.

I average 335 personally.

I swing out of my shoes =(

Yes you do but I also don't see post crazy distances to go along with that swing. I know your long and can't wait to match games with you....one of these days

Back