The Official 2013-2014 NBA Thread

Will they be close assuming they dont bring Varajao back for $10M?

I heard they will but would have to not pick up waiters/Thompson and Bennetts contract at end of year. Giving them just over 20 mil

They could just go over cap and let Gilbert write a check

Shawn Marion meeting with Cavs GM David Griffin and head coach David Blatt ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407193883.214660.jpg

Good lord LBJ lost a ton of weight. Someone feed that kid.

Good lord LBJ lost a ton of weight. Someone feed that kid.
cut out carbs, clearly stopped lifting weights, for an athlete like him the weight will fall off

I wonder who will be top in the west

[Q UOTE=mikedean441;3206260]Spurs or OKC would be my guess[/QUOTE]
Okc needs another piece and the spurs are old but your most likely right. What about Houston

Eff Houston.

[Q UOTE=mikedean441;3206260]Spurs or OKC would be my guess
Okc needs another piece and the spurs are old but your most likely right. What about Houston[/QUOTE]
I say spurs til someone dethrones them..they have been old for awhile.

Hou will be good but not best in the west good.

I think the west shapes out like this (as is), not too different from last year
OKC
SA
LAC
HOU
POR
DAL
GS
MEM/PHO

I do think that New Orleans will be an exciting team next year, but not sure they are ready to make the playoffs in the west, yet.

A title or 2 in 5 years? FWIW, I think that would be viewed as marginal failure. You have what some (which is absurd in my opinion) call the greatest of all time, with 2 hand picked all stars, and you better win more than you did with the Heat. Sure goals are lofty, but they were set by the man himself, by making the moves he has.

As for Wiggins and Bennett sticking around, that is like saying there is no guarantee that LBJ sticks around. Of course they are staying if they are winning.

I don't think Cleveland fans are that picky. I can't imagine anyone in this area looking at 2 championships in 5 years as a letdown. 1964 was a long time ago - let's just win one first & concentrate on multiple titles later.

Reports today say that with the expected salary cap boost due to new tv contracts in 2016 would allow LeBron to resign with the cavs for a $202million contract. Wow

Turning into the MLB...kinda but not really

I don't think Cleveland fans are that picky. I can't imagine anyone in this area looking at 2 championships in 5 years as a letdown. 1964 was a long time ago - let's just win one first & concentrate on multiple titles later.
It's not about what Cleveland fans want. It is claimed one of the issues LBJ had with Miami was Riley not giving up some control of the team to LBJ (like amnestying Miller).

LBJ apparently has control of the Cavs and has now hand picked his team. Given more control, and the roster he wants, he has to at least match the performance with the Heat: 4 straight finals with 2 titles. Otherwise it will be objectively a failure from a pure basketball perspective, even though subjectively the Cleveland fans will be happy.

It's not about what Cleveland fans want. It is claimed one of the issues LBJ had with Miami was Riley not giving up some control of the team to LBJ (like amnestying Miller).

LBJ apparently has control of the Cavs and has now hand picked his team. Given more control, and the roster he wants, he has to at least match the performance with the Heat: 4 straight finals with 2 titles. Otherwise it will be objectively a failure from a pure basketball perspective, even though subjectively the Cleveland fans will be happy.

So, according to this line of reasoning, any team that wins the title will be expected to repeat, and anything less than that will be a failure. Will the Spurs be considered a failure if they don't repeat? Or do they only have to get to the next two finals and win just one?

I think I object to this use of objectivity. Nothing is garanteed in a sport like the NBA. If people want to say LBJ is a failure because he didn't get the Cavs to 4 straight finals and win at least two - that's not being objective. Do businesses plan on sales/profits repeating based on their best year? Is it objective to expect a sales force to repeat their best effort, every year? This sounds like Lake Wobegon, "Where eveyone is above average."

I stand by what I said earlier. If LeBron can get even one championship for Cleveland, that's the goal he has set. Just the fact that guys like Kevin Love are willing to come to Cleveland now is a huge win for the Cavs. They couldn't attract top talent when LeBron was here the first time (for whatever reason , I'm not blaming anyone - it's just a fact).

Turning into the MLB...kinda but not really

Not much should change with the new cap. The max/min in the NBA is always a percentage of the cap (instead of a constant $ figure), so the structure is basically the same, just the numbers get scaled up.

So, according to this line of reasoning, any team that wins the title will be expected to repeat, and anything less than that will be a failure. Will the Spurs be considered a failure if they don't repeat? Or do they only have to get to the next two finals and win just one?

It is different in the Heat's and Cavs' situation with LeBron than it is with the Spurs. Basically anytime a player puts himself in the position that LeBron did twice now, if you don't win, it is seen as a failure. The Heat got destroyed by the media and the fans when they lost their first finals together. LeBron had an insane run with the Heat and it is crazy that people can argue that as a failure, but they put those expectations on themselves, so it is a win or be a bust situation.

I think I object to this use of objectivity. Nothing is garanteed in a sport like the NBA. If people want to say LBJ is a failure because he didn't get the Cavs to 4 straight finals and win at least two - that's not being objective. Do businesses plan on sales/profits repeating based on their best year? Is it objective to expect a sales force to repeat their best effort, every year? This sounds like Lake Wobegon, "Where eveyone is above average."

I stand by what I said earlier. If LeBron can get even one championship for Cleveland, that's the goal he has set. Just the fact that guys like Kevin Love are willing to come to Cleveland now is a huge win for the Cavs. They couldn't attract top talent when LeBron was here the first time (for whatever reason , I'm not blaming anyone - it's just a fact).
Well, I am from Minnesota, so...

No, that's not what I'm saying. I don't consider this past Heat season a failure because they didn't three peat.

However, if you leave one situation for another where you get more control, and you get all the surrounding players you want using that newfound control, you better at least equal the performance obtained in the prior situation. Otherwise maybe you're not as great as you think you are, and maybe Riley knew what he was doing with personnel moves.

I'm sure Cleveland will love just a single title. But if LBJ is going to get all the power and gets all the guys he hand picks, which is what is happening, if he doesn't match the Miami situation it was a poor basketball move.

Well, I am from Minnesota, so...

No, that's not what I'm saying. I don't consider this past Heat season a failure because they didn't three peat.

However, if you leave one situation for another where you get more control, and you get all the surrounding players you want using that newfound control, you better at least equal the performance obtained in the prior situation. Otherwise maybe you're not as great as you think you are, and maybe Riley knew what he was doing with personnel moves.

I'm sure Cleveland will love just a single title. But if LBJ is going to get all the power and gets all the guys he hand picks, which is what is happening, if he doesn't match the Miami situation it was a poor basketball move.

Sorry, I don't buy this line of reasoning. What if LeBron stayed in Miami? Would he be a lock to win 2 more titles? The future is not known, and regardless of what the perception is...perception is not reality.

I won't keep this argument up - it's time to move on - I'm just glad the Cavs will be playing relevant ball games and hopefully will be fun to watch on a daily basis again.

Its funny a bit. Not really haha, but more general musings. EVERY Cleveland Cavs fan, talked about how Lebron James sold out, to be with handpicked talent and win championships. Now he did the exact same thing, and its being viewed as "coming home" (which is true to an extent), and how the same lofty goals should not be set.

When you have fans arguing that you are the best ever (which is borderline crazy), not winning is not an option. Then when you add in the fact that not once, but twice, the player in the scenario, hand picked his roster by leaving, and you absolutely have to win.

I sae someone report that Tuesday that they had a handshake deal and I think I sae the pick was like 2018 or something like that?
2018 pick is the rumor.

Cleveland going all in. That should be a fun team to watch.

Back