Bringing Tour Golf Back

I think I may go with Rory on this one. Ricky is the easy answer, but Rory has Nike...and after Jordan and Tiger, I think they know something about the marketing ascpect of this.

I really think you need both of them to establish a rivalry so fans get interested. I don't believe there is anyone at this time who can carry it by themselves.

Fowler by a landslide. U.S. born guy that tends to handle himself and his brand very well. Understands social media and can help bring the younger crowd into the game.

This for me. Lets face it, viewership of the tour is US dominated and more excitement will be generated when an American is playing well, plus he connects well with the youth. I look at it like tennis, the game was doing well here when you had Agassi, Samphras, Connors, etc but after they fell off so did the game here even with two of the best to ever play the game being active right now.

Rory gets my vote. Powerful, creative, good looks, well spoken, well traveled, worldly and has a wealth of talent.

Rickie for sure. He already has the fans and now his swing is coming together and he's stock is really on the rise. I see Rorys stock value where it's going to stay. Rory has majors, he has been #1 and is #1 again, he was engaged to a star tennis player. What more can he do to raise is "superstar" status? I can see Rickie having a Freddie Couples type career. Not a ton of wins but still a fan favorite amongst everyone.

I think Rickie would be better for the game. He's got more of a unique style than many on tour, so that helps him stand out already. Were he to start winning majors and getting a few dominating wins, I think he would bring in new golf fans as well as win over people that have been a bit skeptical of him to this point.
With his demeanor, I could see him being compared more to Arnie than say Jack or Tiger, but a bunch of Fowler Fanatics at golf tournaments wouldn't be a bad thing for golf.

That being said, I think for either of them to really create a buzz with fans and create more interest in golf, they will have to produce something worthy of the highlight reel. Making long puts and amazing shots, winning in dramatic fashion, producing dominating performances, etc... These things have a way of capturing the imaginations of people and drawing them in as fans of the players specifically and golf in general.

^^^^ THIS. For Tiger to make a hole in one at his FIRST tourney as a professional, that got the ball rolling. Then he runs away in the Masters, the ball that sat on the lip of the cup (with the swoosh logo visible) before falling in, and ironically enough the putt he chased into the hole at Valhalla...these are moments I'll never forget.

I'm not saying Rory and Fowler don't have highlight reels either...

Rickie has popularity with only 1 win. If he was playing to a higher level with an average of 2 to 3 wins per year he would be huge.

I think that Rory edges Ricky out simply for the worldwide audience. I would love to see both of them in the mix every tournament and start a good rivalry.

Gotta go with Ricky on this one. As far as the American market goes, I'd say he would bring far more viewers & younger people in general to golf if he started dominating. I personally think Rory is awesome to watch when he's on, he seems pretty personable and I think he's good for golf. But I doubt that I represent the market that the PGA needs/wants to bring into the sport.

I'd say Fowler, reasons have already been said. US born and bigger among the youth being the main reasons.

Neither has the personality to be the mega-star... Rory has the game. Rickie is popular and in a way could be the champion of the "swing your swing" for the next generation. I definitly think that campaign will be something new golfers will identify with.

One of them is an American daredevil with a unique style and a classy disposition.

The other is also classy guy who isn't American, far more understated, but wins.

If Fowler can break through and snap off a couple of wins, especially a major (which, in the twilight of the Tiger era, have increased in significance), Rickie really gets in a position to popularize golf viewing.

Unfortunately, golf as a played sport still needs other factors to shift before anyone can start talking about a young golfer bringing about some kind of wider resurgence.

Neither has the personality to be the mega-star... Rory has the game. Rickie is popular and in a way could be the champion of the "swing your swing" for the next generation. I definitly think that campaign will be something new golfers will identify with.

Couldn't it be said that Rickie's swing is getting much more refined and textbook since he's worked with Butch? I would that's the opposite of the swing your own swing idea

Kind of feel like McIlroy is Kobe to Tiger's Jordan. Long ball hitter semi-terminator look but not quite the real thing. I still think it's McIlroy,. i enjoy watching him right now.

This for me. Lets face it, viewership of the tour is US dominated and more excitement will be generated when an American is playing well, plus he connects well with the youth. I look at it like tennis, the game was doing well here when you had Agassi, Samphras, Connors, etc but after they fell off so did the game here even with two of the best to ever play the game being active right now.

I dunno, tennis was pretty huge about 6 or 7 years ago when Nadal and Fed were trading blows. It's fallen off lately though with those two not being as dominant.

I dunno, tennis was pretty huge about 6 or 7 years ago when Nadal and Fed were trading blows. It's fallen off lately though with those two not being as dominant.

It was? I bet 95% of the sports viewing public couldn't name 5 active men's tennis players or all 4 grand slam events. Even 7 years ago.

Not HERE though. Tennis will always be big elsewhere, but here it has dwindled just as golf will when Tiger and Phil are gone. The key for Americans, like it or not, is a dominant/popular American, always has been.

It was? I bet 95% of the sports viewing public couldn't name 5 active men's tennis players or all 4 grand slam events. Even 7 years ago.

Exactly! Tennis has been all but forgotten around here.
I can remember riding around town with my parents when I was little (30-35 years ago), trying to find a tennis court that was open. At that time our little town had 8 courts that I can remember. 2 at the YMCA, 2 at the County Park, 2 at the school and 2 at the country club.
Now our town only has 4 courts (school and county park) and if any of them are used more than once a week, I'd greatly surprised.
I can tell you how to get to gymnasiums, football fields, baseball/softball fields and golf courses in practically every town within an hour of here, but couldn't take you to the first tennis court out of town.

I would say Fowler just for the fact that he is a bit more of an extrovert than say Rory. Rory seems to be more quiet and subdued.

I think the responses are quite somewhat surprising. We're sitting at about 50/50 just from perception, I haven't tallied the thread. I'm surprised at the American sentiment and I'm flip flopping over that. If we really are about 50/50 and most if not all of the respondents so far are Americans, then that means that the American thing isn't as important to all of us. I would probably put my money on Rickie based on JB's first statement if one were to catch Tiger Firepower, which one would be better. But it has nothing whatsoever to do with him being American, I already root for both and I've admired many many foreign golfers. It has to do with the fact that Rickie is already so flashy and out front, much more so that Rory. I think Rory could be there too, but it would be coached, whereas with Rickie it just seems to be a natural part of his persona. I don't look at nationality at all until it's time to start looking at manning up the Ryder Cup teams. Shoot, Ernie Els name pops up in crossword puzzles probably more than any other golfer, but with a name like Els, I guess its an easy filler, LOL.

I may be crazy, but does anyone else think a persons name can enhance popularity? There is something about the name "Tiger Woods" that is just plain catchy and uncommon. A name like "Rory" also stands out. I could be completely wrong here but I believe if Tiger Woods was actually named Bill Smith, he wouldn't be near as popular with the outside golf world. Not saying it plays a huge role, but at least a small one.

Not HERE though. Tennis will always be big elsewhere, but here it has dwindled just as golf will when Tiger and Phil are gone. The key for Americans, like it or not, is a dominant/popular American, always has been.

Sounds like professional boxing. While other factors have contributed as well, but without an American Heavyweight dominating the sport we don't really care. Back when Mike Tyson was in the mix, I would drop everything to see a fight....now, who gives a rat's ass.

Sounds like professional boxing. While other factors have contributed as well, but without an American Heavyweight dominating the sport we don't really care. Back when Mike Tyson was in the mix, I would drop everything to see a fight....now, who gives a rat's ass.

Precisely dude.

Rickie
if he can start winning he is going to be a marketing force you will see his mug every where

Some would say the same thing about Woods.

Back